HardRockHallelujah
juverina

Is Muhammad predicted in the Bible?

HardRockHallelujah

Con

In order to prove that Muhammad is a prophet, Muslims often claim that Muhammad is predicted in the Jewish and Christian scriptures (The Old Testament and New Testament) respectively.

This claim isn't just made as "more proof" that Muhammad is a true prophet, but the Qur'an itself offers this as an argument for Muhammad's prophet-hood in 2 places:

Surah 7:157 - Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel, who enjoins upon them what is right and forbids them what is wrong and makes lawful for them the good things and prohibits for them the evil and relieves them of their burden and the shackles which were upon them. So they who have believed in him, honored him, supported him and followed the light which was sent down with him - it is those who will be the successful.

Surah 61:6 - And [mention] when Jesus, the son of Mary, said, "O children of Israel, indeed I am the messenger of Allah to you confirming what came before me of the Torah and bringing good tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name is Ahmad." But when he came to them with clear evidences, they said, "This is obvious magic."

Your prophet-hood being predicted in the Bible isn't a necessary requirement for being a true prophet, but since Muhammad made the claim that he is predicted in the Bible, Muslims must find out where. Failure to do so will expose Muhammad as a false prophet, because according to Deuteronomy 18:22 if you claim to be speaking on behalf of God on any particular topic and turn out to be mistaken, you are a false prophet.

Debate format:
Round 1 - Opening Arguments
Round 2 - 1st rebuttals
Round 3 - 2nd rebuttals
Round 4 - Concluding remarks
juverina

Pro

Prophet Muhammad's prophetic Name, "Ahmed", was found in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and it was mentioned precisely in the Quran for the Prophet to be foretold by this very Name, Ahmed:

"And when Jesus the Son of Mary said, O children of Israel, verily I am the Apostle of God sent unto you, confirming the law which was delivered before me, and bringing good tidings of an Apostle who shall come after me, and whose name shall be Ahmed. And when he produced unto them evident miracles, they said, this is manifest sorcery.
Prophet Jesus here has shed the light on the old Prophecy of the coming Prophet, Ahmed. So Ahmed was prophesied before Christ and also during Christ's lifetime.

This film was also taken from this Youtube Channel. As the author of the video said, look at the Aramaic alphabets in the Wikipedia link given, below. See how Hhet and Tav are written. They look very similar. See also how the Dalet and Khaf are written, and how they're similar. Now create your own "AHMAD" and "ETMAK" from these alphabets. Now, compare the two words, and see how similar they look. Compare the two words with the DSS by ignoring the vowels and accent ending. Which word look similar? Now read the whole chapter of Isaiah 42. And even if the DSS was not tampered with, was it written wrongly as the letters are very similar? The error could have gone back even before the DSS was written.
Prophet Muhammad in the Bible:

Aside from the thorough articles in this section below, I demonstrated in my debate how Prophet Muhammad was Prophesied in the Bible [1] [2], and how he is the Final and Special Prophet that was going to be sent to all of mankind, according to the Bible itself. The Bible in the Old and New Testaments made DIRECT Prophecies about:

The Prophet who will come from the "EAST". The Bible defined "EAST" to mean Arabia, and the lands of Kedar and Teman (Saudi Arabia today).
The Prophet who will come from "Arabia".
The Prophet who will come from the lands and "tents of Kedar" and "lands of Teman". Kedar and Teman (also called "Tema" in the Bible) are two of Ishmael's sons: Genesis 25:13-15.
The Prophet who will "crush the idols of the deserts of Kedar".
The Prophet who will "fight the idol worshipers" in the deserts of Kedar.
The people of Kedar will Glorify GOD Almighty, and GOD will Glorify His Holy Temple "in Kedar".
"Arabia will rejoice and blossom".
The Prophet who will come from the "Desert". Again, the Bible also defined the "Desert" to mean the lands of Arabia, Kedar and Teman.
The Prophet of the "New Law" & "New Covenant", whom the Jews "must not fear".
The Prophet who is "like Moses". Both Muhammad and Moses brought new Laws. There is the Law of Moses, which the entire Bible is built on, and there is the Law of the Holy Quran, which Islam is built on.
HardRockHallelujah

Con

Most of what has been posted looks very familiar to me, looks like a direct copy and paste from the website Answering-Christianity.com's section on Muhammad in the Bible.

"Prophet Muhammad's prophetic Name, "Ahmed in Dead Sea Scrolls""
Several problem with this claim...
First off, the Dead Sea Scrolls that you refer to is written in Hebrew. The word "Ahmed" in Hebrew is "אחמד". While the scroll in question does appear to have that rendering, it is part of a longer Hebrew word which I am not aware off, which probably does not mean "Ahmad".

Secondly, even if "Ahmed" happened to be in the scrolls, what does this prove? Unless a full translation can be provided of the scroll in question there is no way to know whether or not it is predicting Muhammad or not. Even if it does, that's not the topic of this debate, we are debating "Muhammad in the Bible" not "Muhammad in the Dead Sea Scrolls"

"Isaiah 42"
Several problems with your interpretation:
1) The context of the passage shows that the servant is a universal prophet, who will return God's covenant to all peoples. Kedar and Sela are used as examples of foreign people brought back into the Lord's fold. Just because it happens to mention Kedar, that doesn't mean that's where the prophet comes from.
2) Similar things are promised to Egypt, Ethiopia, and Seba. The servant can't come from all four nations. It is more reasonable then, that this prophet of the Jewish scriptures will be Jewish.

"The Prophet who will come from "Arabia"."
Where does it say that?

"The Prophet who will "crush the idols of the deserts of Kedar"."
Again, where does it say that? The passage does mention carved images, but you're taking the passage out of context and forcing your interpretation onto it.

"The Prophet of the "New Law" & "New Covenant", whom the Jews "must not fear"."
Again, passage taken out of context once again. Jeremiah 31:31-33 explains what God meant by "new covenant"

Jeremiah 31:31-33 - "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah" 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the Lord. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people."

So explicitly God says this new covenant would be with Israel, meaning the prophet in Isaiah is going to be a Jewish prophet, not an Arab.

Some final thoughts on Isaiah 42
Now I will provide you with ancient Jewish sources and what they say about Isaiah 42:

"Behold, my servant, THE MESSIAH, whom I bring, my chosen in whom one delights: as for my Word, I will put my Holy Spirit upon Him; He shall reveal my judgment unto the nations." (Targum of Jonathan)

"Behold, my servant, THE MESSIAH, whom I bring, my chosen in whom one delights: as for my WORD, I will put my Holy Spirit upon Him; He shall reveal my judgment unto the nations." (Targum of Isaiah)

"Behold my servant. ... This is KING MESSIAH ... . I have put my Spirit ... refers to what is said of Him, 'And the Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him'" (Rabbi David Kimchi)

"The Prophet who is "like Moses". Both Muhammad and Moses brought new Laws. There is the Law of Moses, which the entire Bible is built on, and there is the Law of the Holy Quran, which Islam is built on."

I'm assuming you're referring to Deuteronomy 18:18.

Deuteronomy 18:18 - "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him."

Now that's what the verse says, but let's read it in context to see what it really means:
Deuteronomy 18:15-18 - "The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear, 16 according to all you desired of the Lord your God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, "Let me not hear again the voice of the Lord my God, nor let me see this great fire anymore, lest I die." 17 "And the Lord said to me: "What they have spoken is good. 18 I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their brethren, and will put My words in His mouth, and He shall speak to them all that I command Him.

Notice the context, Israel has just heard the voice of God and couldn't stand it, they asked Moses, you speak to us on behalf of God, we don't want to hear the voice of God. The Lord God responded by saying "what they say is good, I will raise up for them a prophet like you, from among their brethren."
So already from the start this verse is talking about an Israelite prophet, not an Arab. Basically, God will continue to send the Israelites prophets to speak to THE ISRAELITES (not the Arabs) on God's behalf, but this verse finds its ultimate fulfillment in Jesus Christ.

In Acts 3:22, the Apostle Peter even quotes Deuteronomy 18:18 and applies it to Jesus.

Acts 3:20-22 - "and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, 21 whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began. 22 For Moses truly said to the fathers, "The Lord your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.""
juverina

Pro

juverina forfeited this round.
HardRockHallelujah

Con

Since I didn't get a response, I'll allow my opponent to address the points I raised against his opening statements. Remember, this challenge MUST be met, Muhammad must be predicted in the Bible, otherwise Muhammad is a false prophet for claiming to speak on behalf of God and ending up saying something that is false.
juverina

Pro

juverina forfeited this round.
HardRockHallelujah

Con

Doesn't seem like my opponent wants to participate in this debate. Two times now I didn't get a response to my refutation of his opening statement.
I addressed pretty much everything he said, so unless he wants to renew his previous arguments or bring up additional verses from the Bible that show Muhammad is predicted, this debate is over.
juverina

Pro

juverina forfeited this round.