Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
Mirza

Is NASCAR is a Sport?

Started: 5/15/2010 Category: Sports

Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Pro

People say NASCAR is not a sport, but I say it is. The Definition of a sport is an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In a sport the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines. NASCAR is a Sport. End of discussion. The drivers sit in a car reaching over 100�F for in access of 3 hours. This requires Physical crap. Am I wrong? Prove it.
Mirza

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate.

Definition of sport: "Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively"[1]

NASCAR: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing

= = = = = = = =

I will post my arguments in the next rounds. I will argue about following points:

-Physical requirement in NASCAR
-Competition is not sport
-Comparison to virtual racing using steering wheel[2]

I ask my opponent to make direct arguments about NASCAR being a sport in Round 2.

------------
References
------------
[1]http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[2]http://www.digitaldisplacement.com...
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Pro

The interiors of these cars are not designed for driver comfort with air conditioning and surround sound. Everything about a NASCAR stock car is focused on speed--not on comfort. So NASCAR driver physical conditioning must be such that it builds a driver's endurance to withstand some harsh conditions and G-forces. And, the NASCAR driver physical conditioning is very similar to athletes in other sports except different areas are built up.

The temperatures in the driver's cockpit of a NASCAR race car can reach around 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine this temperature with a 500-lap race at 200 mph along with lack of air flow and you will see that NASCAR driver physical conditioning to build in endurance is critical. Plus, a NASCAR driver will need to steer and maneuver a 3,400 pound vehicle around curves, other cars, and over bumps. This can cause a lot of impacting against the driver plus just the strain of controlling the steering wheel. Then there are the G-forces that will result from banking turns at speeds close to 200 mph causing pressure on the driver's torso as it presses against the side of the vehicle.

Oxygen is a problem too. Since the cars are very aerodynamic so as to increase speed, the air is guided around the car but does not reach the inside. The driver's cockpit is not pressurized like an aircraft. So, the driver has to be able to process what oxygen he gets very efficiently. Therefore, NASCAR driver physical conditioning will include aerobic exercises so as to optimize the processing of oxygen by the body.

Part of any good physical athletic training is the proper amount of nutrition and rest and NASCAR driver physical conditioning is no exception to this. By including the proper amount of nutrition and rest in NASCAR driver physical conditioning, the driver can maintaining alertness and quick reflexes which are crucial to a safe drive. Not getting the proper amount of rest can cause a driver to make mistakes which at 200 mph could be dangerous and even fatal.

Without the proper nutrition and rest in NASCAR driver physical conditioning, a driver can become confused and disoriented during the race. This is especially true when combining the lack of air in the cockpit mixed with carbon monoxide fumes and tremendous G-forces (which cause disorientation as well). G-forces can also affect vision but proper nutrition and vitamins combat against their effects.

NASCAR driver physical conditioning also includes weight training but not in order to build mass. The weight training performed by a NASCAR driver is to build up strength for steering and breaking. It is also so that the driver's body can withstand the abuse from bouncing around and getting slammed from excessive G-forces.

NASCAR driver physical conditioning separates those who can make it for an entire racing event and those who would wear out during the qualification races. It is very important and the sport should be taken just as serious as any other professional sport.

1- http://www.nbcsports.msnbc.com...
2- http://www.buzzle.com...
3- http://www.nascar.com...

Need I go on?
Mirza

Con

I have little time to write my arguments and rebuttals, so I will make some brief ones.

-----------
Rebuttals
-----------

R1: I disagree that the physical condition of a NASCAR driver is similar to that of other athletes, such as soccer players. While NASCAR drivers have to be strong physically, and able to withstand the pressure when driving, they do not spend as much time working out as e.g. soccer athletes. They spend much time in front of computer gaming systems, on which they practice.

R2: My opponent mentions high temperatures, driving 500 laps, and with the speed of 200 mph. However, the fact that a car heats up inside, and that there are many laps, does not make NASCAR a sport. It is a mechanical competition. Is all competition sport? Indeed not. Also, driving 200 mph is not easy either, but it is the car that does most of the job, not the driver. Assume we have a simulator of a NASCAR driving car. You sit in a "box" that is supposed to be as if you were sitting in a real car. Your opponents sit in another box/simulator, and you all have to compete as if you were driving real cars that are driven in NASCAR competitions. In this case, you compete with others, you get much pressure, the box heats up, and so forth. Is this a sport or a competition? It is a competition. So the fact that NASCAR requires a good physical condition does not make it a sport.

R3: The rest of my opponent's arguments are similar to each other. Workout, lack of oxygen, need of good nutrition, etc. Once more I will say that this does not make NASCAR a sport. One should notice that a driver's condition is not the most significant part here. In fact, the car does much more than the driver. I do not deny that the competition is free of danger, but a dangerous competition is not a sport.

------------
Arguments
------------

A1: While NASCAR can require good physical condition, it does not make a driver an athlete. The car does most of the job, not the driver. In tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, etc., the players have to be more physically fit. In fact, they use their bodies much more than the equipment. A soccer player uses his leg strength to kick a ball. He uses his condition to run, and so on. The same applies to other sports. But it does not apply to NASCAR or other race sports. The mechanical things do most of it.

-------------
References
-------------
http://www.sports-uncut.com...
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto

Pro

which brings me back to what a sport is A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In a sport the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports, require only mental skills. Non-competitive activities such as jogging and rock-climbing, are usually classified as recreations.

With all intents, NASCAR is classified as a sport to ESPN. Along with every news org in the world which sees auto racing as a sport.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org...
2) http://en.wikipedia.org...
Mirza

Con

My opponent has not made rebuttals to my claims.

-----------
Rebuttal
-----------

The definition of sport varies. I agree that NASCAR is generally defined as a sport, but just because it is defined that way does not necessarily make it correct. Words change. The word "gay" used to mean "joyful/happy."[1] The word "idiot" used to mean "not politically active." If NASCAR is defined as sport today, it may not be defined as sport tomorrow. We just need to explain why it is not a sport. By definition, we know that a sport is an athletic activity, and should technically make a person an athlete if he is joins athletic activities. By playing tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball, rugby, etc., a person is not only defined as an athlete because he participates in those activities, but because his body is affected by that. Participating in all those mentioned sports activities, a person can build up his strength, stamina, etc. On the contrary, a NASCAR driver only sitting in a car and driving will build up what? Will his stamina increase? Will he be able to run faster? No. The fact that he does something alternative to do better at driving does not change much of the definition of NASCAR/driving. A person can also do hand exercises to click rapidly on a video game joystick; it will not make him an athlete.

------------
------------

I disagree that NASCAR is a sport. Many things are defined in ways that people disagree with, and because NASCAr is defined as sport does not make it a sport. We may need to look at it a bit more. I ask my opponent not to vote for himself, because I cannot do it. I thank him for the debate.

-------------
References
-------------
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by Nikki0417 5 years ago
Nikki0417
I really did want to vote for Pro, too. Well, it's not like I could anyway since I'm a new member. But I think the argument "words change" didn't hold much water. "Gay" took centuries to become a term for homosexuals, and even then, the original definition didn't disappear; it just became less common. Words don't typically CHANGE meaning- new meanings are associated with them.

But that's beside the point, especially considering this debate is 2 years old.
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
Yes, stolen arguments are invalid.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
All points to Con for Pro's cheating.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Mirza, I noticed the same thing. In this debate I would have voted Pro if the arguments weren't blatantly PLAGIARIZED. Not only is that bad conduct but it invalidates the entire debate.
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
"Fine words! I wonder where you stole 'em." - Jonathan Swift
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
Before*
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
BEfore anyone votes, check this out: http://ezinearticles.com...

Compare it to Akemi_Loli_Mokoto's arguments. I just noticed this.

His arguments are all invalid, because they are not his own at all, but directly copy-pasted.
Posted by Mirza 7 years ago
Mirza
"But it does not apply to NASCAR or other race sports. The mechanical things do most of it."

By "race sports" I meant "race competitions." I had a few seconds to post my argument, so I made the mistake.
Vote Placed by Palin2012 6 years ago
Palin2012
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Devil_Child69 6 years ago
Devil_Child69
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by bsufan101 6 years ago
bsufan101
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by jewels02 6 years ago
jewels02
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by kpeterson53 6 years ago
kpeterson53
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by NewBoy 6 years ago
NewBoy
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Akemi_Loli_Mokoto 7 years ago
Akemi_Loli_Mokoto
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Shestakov 7 years ago
Shestakov
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied
Vote Placed by InsertNameHere 7 years ago
InsertNameHere
Akemi_Loli_MokotoMirzaTied