TMurney
E115EnRaged935

Is Nintendo the most successful gaming company ever?

TMurney
Started: 8/8/2014 Category: Games

TMurney

Pro

I would like to make this clear. I am NOT a Nintendo fanboy. I believe though, that Nintendo is the greatest and the most successful video game company to exist, above Sony and Microsoft. By "successful" I mean do well on what the company delivers: fun, top quality, and enjoyable gaming.

I will open this discussion to those who oppose my opinion.
E115EnRaged935

Con

Really... Microsoft's xbox has done way better than playstation or nintendo, even playstation did better. Now, wii... i mean... the wii was THE WORST gaming system every developed... that went mainstream anyway. Nintendo had some pretty great games, I played them, I had fun, but to me, xbox has completely dominated thousands of times over in quality, gameplay, fun, availability, options and controls. I've had so many countless hours, hell days and maybe even complete months of time spent playing, happily, on my xbox console.
TMurney

Pro

I can clearly tell that you support Xbox over anything else in existence. Which is fine, but stupid to argue over what is the most successful company in existence.

Microsoft only entered the gaming fray in 2001, for 13 years. They have only produced non-portable consoles which only glorify graphics over gameplay. They don't care what the game is about, only that if it looks good or not. That shouldn't be what gaming is about.

Sony do the same thing, producing the same black box that Microsoft makes, only with minute difference in graphics. Really? Are we liking a game for its realism now?

You can say that the Wii is the worst mainstream console developed but I would like to prove you wrong in that case.
As of March 2014 the Xbox 360 sold 83.7 Million
(The Xbox 360 was released in the US in November 22nd 2005)
As of June 31 2014 the Nintendo Wii has sold 101.15 Million units
(The Nintendo Wii was released in the US in November 19th 2006, almost a year since the Xbox 360's release)
For the "WORST gaming system" developed, they must be doing something right?

Of course I did not mean successful financially, nor did I say that Nintendo is the most successful video game company over the last 15 years.

I would like to point out the little tantrum you had in the comments section because someone said that I would beat you in this debate.

You say that Microsoft "make millions and millions and millions by making kids pay for xbox live". You're not defending your case here at all. Call me old fashioned but I thought games were meant to be enjoyed, and not to be used to force people to pay "40 a year just so you can play the same game online.

You say that games like Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda "tremble" at Grand Theft Auto V. Again you are just setting yourself up. I admit, I liked Grand Theft Auto V, I thought it was an excellent game, but to rank it above Mario games and Zelda is just plain stupid.

Nintendo's first console was released in Japan in 1983, 41 years ago. The impact around the world it has today is incredible to say the least, you will never have another company create something which is as notable as the NES and its games. Again, they must be doing something right if they are still in the industry for that length of time.

One reason why Nintendo outranks other video game companies is because of one word: Family.
Nintendo is the most family-friendly games company in the world. That is what makes it so special. The fact you can play with your family, and that the most memorable moments come from that. The fact that you can talk about those moments where your dad was just about to win the race on Mario Kart. But then your brother or sister Blue-Shelled him just before the finish line. The age-range of Nintendo games are wide, so everyone can play it.

That is what your idea of mainstream consoles lacks. Togetherness. Most of the games on the Xbox One or the PS4 are either sports games or FPS's. They aim at a specific genre. Not everyone in your family would be open to the idea of a game of Call Of Duty, or Halo, or FIFA.

Your turn.

(Nintendo Wii Figures + Others: http://www.statisticbrain.com...)
(Xbox 360 Figures: http://en.wikipedia.org...)
E115EnRaged935

Con

1. of course the wii sold more consoles, because it's a cheap piece of crap. 2. You are very opinionated here. How many xbox games have you played? I can tell you that I have tried pretty much all the Nintendo games, and all the best games for xbox, and included in that are the original xbox games, which beasts Nintendo in every way. I have been in awe from how amazing some of the detail and game play some xbox games have had. I have played some of the same xbox games for 4 years straight now. Call of Duty: Black Ops came out in 2010, it's been my favorite game for a very long time, and I play it at least once a week. It may not be beautiful graphics wise, but it's game play and story lines and details to fun are very amazing.
BULL CRAP. Are you kidding me? They make millions and millions and millions by making kids pay for xbox live and games and equipment every so often. Same for PlayStation, but xbox has been more popular than PlayStation because xbox is more normal and less retarded. (mind my hilarious opinionated views) But Nintendo, really, the wii sucked terribly. I have never seriously played one Nintendo game in my life and enjoyed it, there was one I liked, but everything else seriously sucks. Mario bros. sucks really bad, and it has really gotten old. I'm not saying they aren't good games, I am saying that they tremble in comparison to games such as Grand Theft Auto 5 and NOT TO MENTION the fact that Microsoft also has computer games, meaning HALF-LIFE, Zombie Panic Source, and Team Fortress (the best computer games ever made) If Nintendo really wanted to make better games, then maybe they can actually make a good game. Wii sucked so bad I hate Nintendo now. Microsoft dominates the gaming market completely. In fact, you can look it up right now, Microsoft comes in first, and Nintendo is at THIRD. It sucks that bad its not even first or second. Yes, they did have some mighty cool original games, but welcome to the new world friend, where more genius GAME DESIGNERS pump way more cool, valuable, entertaining and create ideas and games into the world than Nintendo could only dream of doing.
Hmhm actually I take some of that point back, I read the list of best game companies wrong, Sony is actually in first... somehow.. (what a *#%^). But MICROSOFT is still solid second with Nintendo at third. Pokemon sucks, Mario sucks, Zelda sucks, IT ALL FREAKING SUCKS BAD. Microsoft has halo on their side, half life, huge games that way over shine these stupid childish arcade games in every way. You are majorly still living in the past, get updated to newer games. Be bold and actually try something harder and more fun than that stupid stuff.

What does Nintendo have to show? Besides stupid arcade games? Huh? Nobody wants to play Mario cart anymore, and nobody sure as hell wants to play on a wii console that can't even run a Call of Duty game. Alright. Wii SUCKS. The only reason why it was ever more popular is because it was less expensive and was the first Nintendo console to be released in a long time. That doesn't mean it's good. Considering Xbox sales, Xbox 360 sales, xbox one sales, PlayStation sales, PlayStation 2 sales, PlayStation 3 sales and PlayStation 4 sales - I'm pretty sure Nintendo is far beaten in every way.
TMurney

Pro

I will kick off round 3 highlighting and answering some of Con's points here.

#1 "Microsoft also has computer games, meaning HALF-LIFE, Zombie Panic Source, and Team Fortress"
First of all, Half Life, Zombie Panic Source, and Team Fortress are not games owned by Microsoft. If you mean the OS, then you are in a whole different ball-park.

#2 " You are very opinionated here. How many xbox games have you played?"
60.

As a whole I can't really see your point in your argument. All you have really done is run your mouth off about how the Wii isn't that good and that the Xbox is the greatest console to exist.

This debate was intended to judge Nintendo's legacy as a whole and not since 2001, I don't think you are getting that.

You say that game designers create "way cooler" games. Compare the most memorable exclusives between Nintendo, Sega, Sony, and Microsoft.

Nintendo: Mario, Metroid, Punch-Out!, Kid Icarus, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Goldeneye 64, Banjo Kazooie(1 & 2)

Sega: Sonic, Streets Of Rage

Microsoft: Halo, Gears Of War

Sony: The Last Of Us, God Of War, LittleBigPlanet

You can really say that Nintendo wipes the floor with every other company.

"Nobody wants to play Mario cart anymore" I've owned pretty much every Mario Kart game apart from the SNES version, I think that counts as a person.

According to Empire's top 100 games of all time. #1 On that list is the SNES classic "Super Mario World" I would agree that the SNES instalment is the best of the series, that or the Nintendo 64 Super Mario game. I bring this up because I would like to talk about the game itself. The game has an amazing soundtrack, the gameplay is simple, it introduces the character Yoshi, and as a little treat the 16 bit graphics itself. I know I said people rate games based off graphics now, but good graphics is still a desirable, and should not be the main point of a game.

I would also like to make the point of the Empire list. In the top 10, 5 of the games are Nintendo exclusives.
Here's the list: http://www.empireonline.com...

Another point to make is how other companies use everything Nintendo creates.

The NES was the first console to have a D-Pad on the controller.
Most new consoles have a D-Pad Feature

Nintendo released the first console for motion gaming - The Wii
Microsoft and Sony shortly jumped on the motion gaming bandwagon.

The SNES controller was the first to have L and R buttons, and the A B X Y set-up which most console controllers have now.

I would like to close my side of the debate on a short note:
Nintendo's presence in the video game industry is un-matched. Setting the bar for the standard of gaming, creating consoles with the most innovative features whether it be, motion control, tablet gaming, 64 bit graphics, or even being able to play games in stereoscopic 3D! They have created gaming franchises that is the most memorable above anything else, with the soundtrack that would stick on your mind for a while. They have fought off competition for over 40 years and still manage to claim top spot in a time where gaming is all about the graphics of a shooter.

Thanks for reading.
E115EnRaged935

Con

Well I understand your points, and I have my own opinions on which is better. To me Nintendo is nothing compared, I've always been a Microsoft supporter, and I guess you're the same for the other side. So there's not much I can do and there's not much you can do or say to this point. Each one has their own advanced, powers and amazing arts of games. I do agree that Nintendo WAS the best gaming system when it came out, it had some fun games, but to me, Mario and such is absolutely boring compared to any modern game. But that's just me. Whatever. I am sticking by one point though, (Lol), WII SUCKS. Now the wii u is a different story, I still want to try that. But anyway, thanks for the debate.
Posted by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
Say one sentence, and E11EnRaged935 (very enraged) responds with a novel.
Posted by E115EnRaged935 2 years ago
E115EnRaged935
you're not even replying to my comment, it seems as if I have you beat, like I do almost everyone I debate with. I'm just a natural at picking out the good stuff at debates, and I fight to the bones with facts and ideas until the opponent cowers in defeat. Success
Posted by E115EnRaged935 2 years ago
E115EnRaged935
hmhm actually I take some of that point back, I read the list of best game companies wrong, Sony is actually in first... somehow.. (what a d*ck). But Microsoft is still solid second with nintendo at third. Pokemon sucks, mario sucks, zelda sucks, IT ALL FREAKING SUCKS BAD. Microsoft has halo on their side, half life, huge games that way overshine these stupid childish arcade games in every way. You are majorly still living in the past, get updated to newer games. Be bold and actually try something harder and more fun than that stupid stuff.
Posted by E115EnRaged935 2 years ago
E115EnRaged935
BULL S**T. Are you kidding me? They make millions and millions and millions by making kids pay for xbox live and games and equipment every so often. Same for playstation, but xbox has been more popular than playstation because xbox is more normal and less retarted. (mind my hilarious opinionated views) But Nintendo, really, the wii sucked terribly. I have never seriously played one nintendo game in my life and enjoyed it, there was one I liked, but everything else seriously sucks. Mario bros. sucks really bad, and it has really gotten old. I'm not saying they aren't good games, I am saying that they tremble in comparison to games such as Grand Theft Auto 5 and NOT TO MENTION the fact that Microsoft also has computer games, meaning HALF-LIFE, Zombie Panic Source, and Team Fortress (the best computer games ever made) If nintendo really wanted to make better games, then maybe they can actually make a good game. Wii sucked so bad I hate nintendo now. Microsoft dominates the gaming market completely. In fact, you can look it up right now, Microsoft comes in first, and nintendo is at THIRD. It sucks that bad its not even first or second. Yes, they did have some mighty cool original games, but welcome to the new world friend, where more genius game designers pump way more cool, valuable, entertaining and create ideas and games into the world than nintendo could only dream of doing.
Posted by TN05 2 years ago
TN05
Lol, Microsoft hasn't made one cent off of Xbox. Pro should wipe Con's butt with this one.
Vote Placed by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
TMurneyE115EnRaged935Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments in a nutshell: "The wii sucks, and is a piece of crap. Therefore Microsoft is better." Pro gave sound arguments.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
TMurneyE115EnRaged935Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's pretty clearly a M$/Xbox fanboy. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But Pro's argument was broader, and by noting how Nintendo has history backing it as a successful gaming company, as well as noting that the Wii sold more units. Con's rebuttal that it's a "cheap piece of crap" wasn't particularly compelling. This was not only a Wii vs. Xbox debate, after all--Con might have managed to pull a win out of that. This was broader about the respective companies. Con could have taken an argument that M$ gets credit for OS games, too, but seemed not to capitalize on that notion, and so can't get credit for it. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.