reddogs
Sonofcharl

Is Obedience of the Law, Legalism?

reddogs has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

reddogs

Con

If we love Jesus Christ and keep his commandments which come from his eternal moral law, are we legalist because we love him and want to follow what he wants for us.

If I am free to do whatever I want, is it wrong for me to keep Gods Law or legalistic if I want to follow what Jesus taught by keeping his commandments, not because I am forced to do it by people, society or church, but because I love him and want to.

Many people bring up the objection that after the law has accomplished its purpose of pointing the sinner to Christ for cleansing, it will no longer be needed in the experience of the believer.

Is that true, once we are saved by grace we can never turn away or do we have the freewill God gave us and need the watchdog of the law to reveal any deviation from the true path and to point us back to the cleansing cross of Jesus.

Revelation 14:12. "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Here is a perfect description of faith and the fruits of the Spirit! And the combination is found in those who are "saints."

Obedience is the real test of love and happens with the help of the Holy Spirit and its renewal and rebirth. This is why faith and the resulting fruits of obedience come about. "Faith without works is dead." James 2:20.

No one ever won their beloved's heart by words alone. If there had been no flowers, no acts of devotion, no gifts of love, or warm and heartfelt embrace, most would still be searching for a companion.

Jesus said, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matthew 7:21.

Words and profession are not enough as the true evidence is obedience. "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." 1 John 5:3.

It is not legalistic, but love that results in obedience.
Sonofcharl

Pro

Hello reddogs. I accept your challenge.

I must admit that I have no idea what you are referring to. Nonetheless I accept your challenge in all sincerity and in the hope that I may broaden my knowledge of religious issues.

As I'm certain that many debaters will be confused by the content of your opening comments. I would therefore request that you use a small amount of you next round, to present your argument in simpler "layman's" terms.

The way I see it is.
You have obedience of the law.
You have Legalism.
You have religion.

From a realists point of view, you are presenting three separate, conceptual issues for discussion.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
You can not rape a 2.year old child...