ZainabAshraf
kasmic

Is Obesity A Disease?

kasmic

ZainabAshraf

Con

The American Medical Association (AMA) has decided to classify obesity as a disease.
Is obesity really a disease?... I argue that it's not a disease at all but rather the natural result of a person making extremely poor decisions about food choice and physical exercise. It's something that can be entirely reversed in virtually 100% of the cases by changing these two simple things. As a result, it rests firmly under the control of the patient, especially if they are educated about healthy nutrition and how to make intelligent choices about what foods and groceries they consume.

To call obesity a disease is a 'dumbing down' of the very idea of what a disease is. I really feel this is a wrong decision because obesity is not a disease. It is a condition.
Obesity means having too much body fat. It is not the same as being overweight, which means weighing too much. How is being overweight a disease? A person may be overweight from extra muscle, bone, or water, as well as from having too much fat.

The AMA, in classifying obesity as a disease, furthers the dependency, disempowerment and entitlement culture that is eroding scientific truth and personal autonomy in America
kasmic

Pro

Thanks for the debate and good luck!

Terms:

Obesity: “a condition characterized by the excessive accumulation and storage of fat in the body”

Disease: “an illness that affects a person, animal, or plant : a condition that prevents the body or mind from working normally”

Illness: “a condition of being unhealthy in your body or mind”

All definitions from http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Argument:

Obesity is an illness. Excessive accumulation and storage of fat in the body indicates a condition of being unhealthy in body or mind.

Obesity can also affect a person in such a way that prevents their body from working normally.

Therefore… as the American Medical Association has rightly and accuratly declared obesity A Disease.
ZainabAshraf

Con

Thank you very much, hoping to have a wonderful debate with you.

As you have agreed that obesity is a "disease" and that the American Medical Association have rightfully termed it, are you also agreeing with the fact that being an alcoholic is a disease? Since Alcohol also is "unhealthy in your body or mind"? Is it an Illness?
There was no known gene that would make people veer off into the McDonald's drive-through lane or direct them to choose whole milk over less fat milk? No known gene can make you raid the refrigerator at midnight. No known gene can make you drive past six gyms on your way to work and stop at none of them. By terming Obesity a disease, what the AMA is trying to do is make people feel guilty about something that can actually be cured off with ample effort , and that is just too lose weight in a healthy way and start living life in the healthy way.

Instead of terming Obesity a disease, what they should have done is sort a solution to make people live healthily and not make them feel bad about their weight. Let me remind you, people tend to eat more when they're depressed. By terming obesity a disease, the AMA is making more people feel depressed and consecutively feeling bad, they're going to start eating more!

If obesity truly is a disease, then over 78 million adults and 12 million children in America just got classified as sick... Everyone has friends and acquaintances who now qualify as diseased, it isn't fair. I totally disagree with terming obesity a disease.
kasmic

Pro

For the record alcoholism is a disease. (1)

Con says “There was no known gene that would make people veer off into the McDonald's drive-through lane or direct them to choose whole milk over less fat milk?”

A disease does not have to be in your genes… in fact the definition of disease does not exclude personal choices being the cause of the disease.

Con says “what the AMA is trying to do is make people feel guilty about something that can actually be cured off with ample effort , and that is just too lose weight in a healthy way and start living life in the healthy way.”

Many Diseases can be cured or treated with little effort, and by living healthy. None of that would disqualify something from being a disease. It seems my opponent wants to argue that Obesity is not something that happens to people but rather something they choose. That may or may not be true… However, that is not what is being debated here. The question is whether or not Obesity is a disease.

Thankfully the meaning of words can be very precise, as is the case here...

See Definitions from last round. An illness is any condition that can be classified as unhealthy. Obesity is unhealthy. Obesity also prevents the body from working normally. Therefore Obesity is by definition a disease.

(1)http://www.mayoclinic.org...

ZainabAshraf

Con

I don't remember mentioning alcohol isn't a disease. A disease and an illness are two different things. Pro himself has given me the definitions of both of them in the first Round. So I don't understand why that's even necessary here.

For the record, I would also like to remind Pro, who has been constantly talking about the definition of disease, obesity and illness, that the American Medical Association which has actually termed Obesity a disease unnecessary, itself has stated that disease "lacks a single, clear, authoritative, and widely-accepted definition". So I guess, Pro can stop the discussion on definitions and go on for an argument then.

A disease occurs when the body is malfunctioning. Turning surplus calories into a fat reserve is not malfunction; it is normal physiology. Calling obesity a disease implies the body is malfunctioning. Which is "wrong". And obesity like I have already said is a condition that can be reversed with a proper diet. While obesity is a real problem, the AMA"s move is actually a way for its members to receive more federal dollars, by getting obesity treatments covered under government health plans.

There is no magic bullet, no medicine, for obesity. The way out of obesity is to eat less and better and to move your body. I don't think it was too hard to comprehend the fact that I said Obesity is simply a CONDITION, was it? And I think it's Pro who has been misinterpreting the simple line I have repeated and has stated that "It seems my opponent wants to argue that Obesity is not something that happens to people but rather something they choose."

A disease or an illness, no one chooses it, and me of all people who let me remind Pro has started the debate knows very well. I respect your opinions and thoughts. Thank you very much for being involved in this debate.
kasmic

Pro

I only addressed alcoholism because my opponent brought it up.

Con says: “the American Medical Association which has actually termed Obesity a disease unnecessary, itself has stated that disease "lacks a single, clear, authoritative, and widely-accepted definition.” So I guess, Pro can stop the discussion on definitions and go on for an argument then.”

Yet con provides no link… Chalk that up as hearsay. Add that to the fact that we are discussing if obesity falls in the definition of a “disease.” What better source could one have than a definition? Is that not what we are debating then… the definition of disease?

Con than says “A disease occurs when the body is malfunctioning.”

So con tells me to stop using a valid definition from a accredited dictionary, yet con provides his own, unsourced definition. Ironic to say the least. I leave it to the voters as to which definition is more credible, my opponents personal unsourced one, or Merriam-Webster.

Con says “Turning surplus calories into a fat reserve is not malfunction; it is normal physiology. Calling obesity a disease implies the body is malfunctioning. Which is "wrong". “

This is a straw man. Con says I cant use a real definition… makes his own… that conveniently fits his argument. effectively blowing over the strawman.

Con has stated that Obesity “is a condition.” He has also argued that if people were more healthy, this condition would be resolved. My opponent has essentially admitted that Obesity “is a condition of being unhealthy.” This fits the definition from the dictionary for illness, word for word essentially. This makes it clear that Obesity clearly fits an objective third party accredited definition of “disease.”

Thanks for the debate, and for reading… Vote Pro!
Posted by Es6758 2 years ago
Es6758
I think characterizing obesity as a disease allows people to eat unhealthy things, over eat and blame it on something other than themselves!! There are people in the world who absolutely have medical problems that cause them to gain weight but those people do everything they possibly can to get their condition under control so that they are no longer overweight. In my experience those that use obesity as an excuse for being fat don't really want to change what they eat or how they eat. Why would you when you can just say I'm "sick" and people accept it.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
There is a solution. It is called discipline.
Posted by ZainabAshraf 2 years ago
ZainabAshraf
Thank you everyone for getting involved in such a thoughtful discussion!
Obesity is a condition that can be gotten over with a proper lifestyle. If the AMA instead of terming obesity as a disease could find solutions to make Americans more healthy, it would be a much better step.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
The AMA is 80% political and 20% medical.
Posted by Bgirlctforlife 2 years ago
Bgirlctforlife
I completely agree with you, instigator. I have thought that too for a very long time. Obesity is obviously not a disease.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
all I know is that this is a self-induced condition.Easily reversed without medical help. Certainly should not be funded out of tax money.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
What about something being a lifestyle does not fit the definition of disease? Again you must not understand the definition of disease...
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I guess getting drunk is also a disease?It is simply a lifestyle choice. Obesity does not run in families. Eating habits do.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
It seems people do not know what a disease is.... Obesity is by definition a disease.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
I have never met someone that is overweight by breathing too much air.They call it a disease so they can get more government funding for it.

The truth be known.The only gland trouble a person would have for being obese is that gland right beneath their nose.Either eating too much, or the wrong things.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ZainabAshrafkasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was the only one who used sources so that point goes to him. He made valid arguments, but Con failed to fully refute them and many points were dropped. That leaves me no choice, but to give the vote to Pro.
Vote Placed by carriead20 2 years ago
carriead20
ZainabAshrafkasmicTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had sources and actually followed a set definition. Pro also made better arguments that were not refuted very well by Con.