PeriodicPatriot
TN05

Is One Direction's 'midnight memories' similar to Def Leppard's 'Pour some sugar on me'?

TN05
Started: 12/26/2013 Category: Music

PeriodicPatriot

Con

First round is acceptance.
TN05

Pro

I'll be proving these two songs are similar.

Since you haven't proposed any definitions or rules, I'll propose the following...
*Similar means "having characteristics in common: strictly comparable" (the Merriam-Webster definition - see here: http://www.merriam-webster.com...)
*Burden of proof is on Pro
*Forfeiture of any round results in instant lose for the forfeited
PeriodicPatriot

Con

If One Direction got sued (which they didn't), that would be because they copied the whole word and had the same beats, but it was just the chords 1D copied. I examined both songs, and to be honest I didn't really see the similarities. One Direction didn't 'playgiarse' they were just influenced by the music. Here are the videos:

http://m.youtube.com...

http://m.youtube.com...

TN05

Pro

The similarities between these two songs are large and immediately noticeable, and are far more prevalent than just a slight resemblance. Aside from the basics (both songs have the same time signature and similar instrumental accompaniment), the actual arrangements of the songs are far too similar to ignore.

To start, the verse of both songs is based around a repetitive guitar riff. The utilization of this is slightly different - in the One Direction song the riff immediately follows each verse line, while in Def Leppard's song it isn't introduced until midway into the verse and repeats throughout. However, the guitar tone and drum tone are quite similar, with One Direction's having a bit less distortion but being just as prominent in the mix. We get into the real problems in the chorus. The obvious part is that the medley is virtually identical - the guitars have the same chord progression (which is accented even further by similar guitar tone) and you can transplant the entire chorus of either song to the other and it sound fine. This is a major problem, because the chorus is the most important part of a song in that it's what you remember and sing and the chorus of both songs are nearly identical in terms of arrangement and melody. With the choruses sounding so alike, there is no denying the two songs are indeed similar.
PeriodicPatriot

Con

Look at the lyrics:

http://www.azlyrics.com...

http://www.metrolyrics.com...

In the music, One Direction seem like as if they were in a studio, but Def Leppard sound like they were in live stage, which means that Def Leppard's music seems louder than One Direction. Def Leppard used real instruments, but One Direction used autotune to have the music and the sound. One Direction made the some have pop with a little of rock, while Def Leppard is more Rock n' Roll when it comes to music.

Here are the videos:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New rules:

Round 4 and/or 5 are available for forfeiture. Voters MAY NOT cound that as a point against conduct.
TN05

Pro

First, I will note my opponent has not responded to any of my points. I won't exactly say she has ceded those yet, but the voters should take note of this. Second, I won't contest my opponent's rule change because I don't see how it would affect anything.

My opponent's new arguments don't really do anything. She notes the lyrics are different, but that does not negate musical and melodic similarities - you can't just take another song's form and melody and not expect people to notice or say it is similar. One Direction's is indeed poppier, but it still has a noted rock tone. The use of autotune or programmed instruments does not change the arrangement is similar - you couldn't just set a song to a different instrument and get away with copying all the chords and melody. In any case, my points remain the same - the song format and melody are strikingly similar, in arrangement, sound, and melody, especially in the chorus.
PeriodicPatriot

Con

Sorry! I will have to cancel this debate. No more arguments.
TN05

Pro

I extend all arguments to round 4.
PeriodicPatriot

Con

I don't care if I lose. I wanted to cancel it in the first place.
TN05

Pro

Vote Pro!
Posted by braffle 3 years ago
braffle
Like the fact they refused to play for a girl with cancer because they wouldn't pay them?
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
Periodic: My reasons are pretty stupid, If I were to accept the debate it would be derailed tremendously

Dean: There are plenty of reasons to hate 1D
Posted by Deanovan 3 years ago
Deanovan
im a male directioner and im straight. there is no reason to hate 1D. they are nice lads. no need to be mean
Posted by PeriodicPatriot 3 years ago
PeriodicPatriot
@imabench

If you do, then you may simply join.
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
I can think of about a dozen reasons why the two may sound similar
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
Why is this deemed fit for the music section?
Posted by braffle 3 years ago
braffle
Snarly, rude, curse words? Are you calling me homosexual? For the record, I would not even instigate such a meaningless topic.
Posted by PeriodicPatriot 3 years ago
PeriodicPatriot
@braffle

Kindly be quiet! I know some male directioners in my life and on this site, so maybe you're homosexual. How about that? You're a boy, right? I don't like boys who say bad things and cuss about 1D. In other words, keep your rude, homosexual words to yourself! I bet you're afraid to reply back with your snarly, rude, homosexual words, aren't you? You can accept this debate if you want to, but don't cause trouble! Got it?!
Posted by braffle 3 years ago
braffle
This sounds homosexual.
Vote Placed by WilliamofOckham 3 years ago
WilliamofOckham
PeriodicPatriotTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The concession pretty much handed pro the victory, but I think pro had it in the bag even before that. Pro showed what "similar" really meant in the context of a song.
Vote Placed by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
PeriodicPatriotTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con loses conduct points for forfeiture and trying to change the rules halfway through the debate. Classy. She lost S&G for obvious reasons, not the least of which was "playgiarse." Pro made more convincing arguments as he pointed out that the instrumentals are similar, which is what the entire controversy currently surrounding the two songs is about. Also, saying that two songs are not similar because they have different lyrics is ridiculous. Note to Con: you may enjoy watching the interview with the drummer of Def Leppard on this topic.
Vote Placed by MassiveDump 3 years ago
MassiveDump
PeriodicPatriotTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits. Forfeits everywhere.
Vote Placed by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
PeriodicPatriotTN05Tied
Reasons for voting decision: concession, though pro would have really hit the nail on the head if he brought up that the songs sound the same to deaf people, and people who dont speak english.