matthewmatt14
Kinryu

Is Online College better then Traditional College (Pro=Yes) (Con=No)

Kinryu

matthewmatt14

Pro

I think Online College will benefit the world in many ways. One way is that you don't even have to leave your house then going to college. Just get up and go on your computer. Online colleges are cheaper than Traditional college. So that's a thumbs up for the people without a lot of money. Online colleges offer as much education as a Traditional college but its even better.
Kinryu

Con

When given the choice between the two, I'd have to say traditional college is better. Through traditional college you will be motivated to learn (not just stumble along to get your diploma), have a better learning environment with all the needed resources, and learn the skills and gain the confidence necessary to socially interact with others.
matthewmatt14

Pro

Well you stated that traditional college offers all the needed resources that you need but using the internet you can find everything you need and more. You can get everything you want and there are so many resources online. Traditional college doesn't have the information that the internet can offer.
Kinryu

Con

When I say resources, I am referring to human resources, mainly your professors and peers. The best way to improve your math or writing skills is face to face with a professor who is knowledgeable and willing to help you. Google and Yahoo answers can not give you the help a professor (who did what you have to do) can. Peers can also give you valuable input and help you study for quizzes and tests. Infrastructural resources would include labs, libraries, etc. Outside of education would be sport stadiums, tennis courts, pools, etc. I could go on but I will move to my next point; motivation.

College will motivate you to learn and excel in class. I remember reading an ad for an online college course, and in bold font, "Take college in your pjs!" (Something to that effect). However, is this really a good thing? To me it seems to promote a laid back nature of simply getting the diploma, not putting in the 110%, and actually trying to learn something. Traditional colleges will allow (and encourage) students to take place in debates and class discussions with different professors and different students. Students will learn to take opinions and back them up. Traditional colleges will also teach students how to work under time and pressure, something online colleges can't do. It is also a lot easier to cheat taking on an online college course, which is caused by lack of student motivation to actually learn.

You also say that online colleges are cheaper than traditional, which is indeed true. However, there are so many scholarship opportunities available, both academic and athletic. Some colleges also offer jobs on site is allows students to raise some money. Also note that there are programs that will help pay for college tuition.
matthewmatt14

Pro

That is true but when you said that students wont put in 110% in their work, maybe if they liked working and got to choose where they wanted to work then that would motivate them to work harder. Sure some students would prefer to work at a traditional college then that's fine but online college would make students more comfortable to work at home. Also there are more human resources online then at a college. I like to call this resource the internet. You cant find this kinda information at a college.
Kinryu

Con

Actually, you can find this information at college; go to your dorm, turn on your laptop, connect to the college wifi. I think it is safe to stay that in America, almost all colleges will have wifi.

My last point was colleges allow students to socially interact. Going to college is much like high school, in the sense that you will have to adapt to your new surroundings, and make new friends. It is also said that in college you are more likely to find other students with similar interests and ideas, and thus better able to connect with them. Going through college will be a struggle at times, but the experience and people are well worth it.
matthewmatt14

Pro

That is very true my friend, but online colleges have a lot of advantages over traditional colleges. One is that there are so many of them at your finger tips waiting to be used. Second they cost less depending on what college you choose. Three they open up more opportunities then a traditional college. While some people might choose a traditional college, I would recommend an online college.

Good Luck to my opponent.
Kinryu

Con

Thanks for a friendly, educated debate. It was my first, but won't be my last.

I do agree there are some benefits of online college, in certain situations. If you can not afford traditional college, and can't get the scholarships and programs I mentioned above, then online college is a very viable option. I don't entirely agree with your last point. What kind of opportunities? If you mean being able to pick a particular major without having to go to a select choice of colleges, then yes, I agree. Online college does not offer the social opportunities and athletic opportunities traditional college can offer. Certain jobs will look to see how confident you are working alone and with others. Traditional college is a life experience, that will really shape the way you look at the world.

Thanks for debate, voters please vote.
Posted by BigMouth63 2 years ago
BigMouth63
I reiterate the sentiment of the previous comment. Both types of college will meet and satisfy the needs of individual students with their own particular circumstances, therefore if the needs of individuals are met then they are both of equal value within society.
Posted by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
there is no universally correct answer for this, as nothing is a one size fits all. I would say that for the non traditional working adult going to college, especially those with families online would be better. However for those fresh out of high school the traditional would be better. For many college is more than just the education but the experience of college outside of just the classroom.
Besides just that many students and subjects greatly benefit from classroom instruction over online instruction. So much of it depends on the class and the individual student.
Vote Placed by tonyrobinson 2 years ago
tonyrobinson
matthewmatt14KinryuTied
Reasons for voting decision: As I stated in the comments I believe that both online and traditional have advantages and disadvantages. What is best for one person maybe different for another based upon individual circumstances. So I do not think either side could truly win this debate. However Con did touch on the idea that some classes can not be taught online, or at least are much harder online. Therefore I had to say Con had the better argument but neither convinced me of either one being better than the other.