rightway89
Jmtz1

Is Pedro Martinez a HOF?

Started: 8/16/2013 Category: Sports

rightway89

Pro

It is my belief that Pedro Martinez is not only a HOF but a first ballot HOF.

1) Let us consider the era that he played in. The Steroid Era is something that has plagued baseball and the fact that Pedro has not been found to use these substances only increases his eligibility for HOF.

2) The stats speak for themselves. Pedro has a career sub par 3 ERA with over 3,000 strikeouts and a 219-100 record

3) Pedro has the greatest 5 pitching seasons on record for example looking at his 1997 season. Pedro was 17-8 with a stellar 1.90 ERA
Jmtz1

Con

I agree with you how good of a player he was and the fact that he did not use any PEDs. My point is this: Pedro Martinez was a 5th rotation man almost half of his career.in his first years with the dodgers, his first years with the Expos, then he was an ace for about 6 or 7 years and then after that, a practical scrub with the Mets and Phillies where he didn't produce too much. My hall of fame for baseball is if I have to think twice about the player, then he is not in my hall of fame. With Pedro, he wasn't the best pitcher in the rotation for half his career. Not in my hall of fame
rightway89

Pro

I most certainly do not have to think twice on Pedro. We are talking about a man who has 8 all star selections and led the league 5 times in ERA and 3 times in strikeouts. He is 7th all time in winning percentage and 2nd to only Whitey Ford for pitchers with 200 wins (Whitey Ford HOF) Another stat people may not know is that he is the 14th pitcher in the last 90 years to retire with a sub 3 ERA which is amazing in itself. I can agree that he fell off while playing for the Mets and Phillies but what player doesnt at the end of a career? What impresses me most is his 1999 season in a heavy hitting AL East where Pedro had one of the best seasons a pitcher can have 313 SO to 37 BB and he was 23-4 in 29 starts. Pedro had filthy stuff and he put that on display during the all star game in Fenway striking out the first 4 of 5 batters that we know now to have used PED's
Jmtz1

Con

Jmtz1 forfeited this round.
rightway89

Pro

rightway89 forfeited this round.
Jmtz1

Con

Jmtz1 forfeited this round.
Posted by rja7 4 years ago
rja7
Was hoping you were arguing con..hes my all time favorite..I tell people(when Pedro pitched every fourth or fifth day it was like football Sunday for me)it certainly was something special ..I would even argue that he had one of the best 4-5 year stretches as a pitchfork in baseball history..I remember if he only got like 10 ks in a game it seemed like he was off his game..lol...Two of my favorite Pedro moments 1...1999 all-star game striking out larkin,walker, sosa, mcgwire and bagwell...2...redsox vs Yankees or Pedro vs Clemens where he ko'd 17 against arguably one of the best lineups ever..in the steroids error no less.