Luke_Burdette
ko_hankinator

Is Peyton Manning better than Tom Brady

ko_hankinator
Started: 2/18/2016 Category: Sports

Luke_Burdette

Pro

The number one argument for Brady fans as to why Tom is better is the superbowl wins. If superbowl wins indicate who is the best quarterback then Troy Aikman and Terry Bradshaw are better than Peyton since they have more. And Eli is on par with Peyton since they both have two. Superbowl wins are reflective of a team, not of a player. Tom Brady has also been to six superbowls, with one coach. Peyton Manning has been to four, with four different coaches. We dont know if it is the magic of Billichick or if it is the magic of Brady that takes them to the superbowl. We know for sure that Peyton Manning lead those teams to the superbowl. Four different coaches, only one time did he have a hall of fame worthy coach in Tony Dungy.
ko_hankinator

Con

You're confusing me... which side are you on? Brady or Manning? Sure I'll argue for both sides, but your argument is confusing. Let me know if I said you're on the wrong side, but since you're on the pro side of Peyton being better than Tom, then I'll assume you're on Peyton's side. Lets begin:

In head-to-head matchups, Brady is 11-6 (but 2-3 in playoffs) against Peyton Manning by an average score of 29.2-24.2. Tom Brady threw far less interceptions and is a better rusher under pressure, even though in the past 10 games it was 5-5, the last 6 games had Brady 4-2 against the Broncos.
Luke_Burdette

Pro

You mention the fact that Tom Brady has overall more wins in head to match ups. However, it isnt actually Brady vs Manning. Manning is playing against a brilliant Patriots coaching staff with Billichick at the helm. It is a match between Manning and Bill Billichick. The Patriots defense has consistently been one of the best, and their run game has been consistent, as a result of Billichik's brilliant coaching. These are the reasons why the Patriots have beaten Manning's teams, those wins were won by the whole team not Brady. The teams that Peyton has played for never had a defense as good as the Patriots have been, excluding the 2010 season when the Colts went to the superbowl and this season. Manning at some points has had a good run game, but that has not been a consistent thing to be with him. The Patriots simply were the better when they won. It wasnt Brady being heroic or breaking records, they just outperformed the colts/broncos. Now to address the interception, Manning has way more attempts than Tom Brady. Both quarterbacks have been consitently depended on to win the game. However, this has happened to Manning way more than Brady, thus, interceptions. You are taking team statistics and giving them to Tom Brady, we are talking about individuals. Brady has less touchdowns, less yards, lower completion percentage, and less league mvp awards than manning, 5 to 2. Those are the indvidual stats and Manning leads in nearly all of them.
ko_hankinator

Con

But there is also the fact that Manning had better receivers (like Reggie Wayne), having less of a chance of a dropped ball, and the reason why Manning has less yards, touchdowns, and less mvp awards because his career isn't over like Manning's and Brady, like you said, has WAY less attempts. The completion percentage is very, very similar and the QB ratings are also very similar. I'm not a Patriots fan or anything, and Manning's stats may be better, but we should wait until they BOTH retire, so you're "advantage for stats" will be completely fair.
Luke_Burdette

Pro

If you say that Manning has had better receivers that have led him to success, you are wrong. Manning has had 7 receivers that have had 1,000 yard seasons while playing under him. After Manning left or they left Manning 6 out of the 7 never had 1,000 yard seasons again. These receivers were only good while playing for Manning. Manning's skill allowed those players to succeed. Secondly, the use of career stats is fair. If you look at what Manning had done up until the point where Brady is now, Manning still surpasses him. He also still has more attempts. So stats do matter because Brady is not on pace to beat Manning, Brady would need nearly impossible seasons to do that.
ko_hankinator

Con

I never said that stats weren't that important. It is clear that Manning is better in individual stats, but Brady has been the first player to be UNANIMOUSLY voted league MVP in 2010. Has Peyton ever done that? Even though the next stats I'm about to say aren't "individual stats" and they're "team stats", they are really impressive: He has an NFL RECORD of passes without an interception (with 358) and broke his own record with a season high 9:1 touchdown:interception ratio.
Luke_Burdette

Pro

Luke_Burdette forfeited this round.
ko_hankinator

Con

Since my opponent won't say anything, I won't say anything else that involves how Brady is better than Manning, ending this argument on Round 3. So, I'd like to thank my opponent Luke_Burdette for creating this debate, and I had fun in this debate. Well, it's now the voting section and vote for whoever you want to.
Posted by usawinseverytime 1 year ago
usawinseverytime
Peyton is better than Tom at what? Juggling? Taking a loss in pressure moments? Eating chicken parm? I think most Brady fans like myself would concede that Peyton's skills as a passer are better than Brady, but don't for a second tell me that you'd rather have number 18 under center than TB12.
Posted by crepuscularkid 1 year ago
crepuscularkid
Well Tom Brady never sexually assaulted a woman before so... :^/
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Luke_Burdetteko_hankinatorTied
Reasons for voting decision: IMO Con had the better overall argument. Pro took the classic Peyton Manning angle of denouncing wins and postseason success as team accomplishments not fully attributable to Tom Brady, meanwhile pumping up the individual stat sheet. However, Con pointed out Brady threw less interceptions (a key individual statistic) as well as several interception-limiting related records. Con also pointed out Brady's unanimous MVP award (an individual award - which yes there are arguments against but due to Pros forfeit, said arguments were never brought to light). I also found Pros Round 3 argument of X amount of receivers with 1000 yards as a little weak, especially due to the fact that none of those receivers were mentioned by name. Long explanation short, I thought Con made the appropriate counter and Pro needed a little more substance. Also, Pro forfeited a turn therefore conduct to Con.