JJAquarius
Duncan

Is Princess Peach still Nintendo's Star girl???

Duncan
Started: 11/3/2014 Category: Games

JJAquarius

Pro

Over the years Peach has known to be Nintendo's star girl,and to be in every Mario game,get kidnapped over 40 times,and broke the world record of being he worlds most used video game female character in history! Since her origin in 1984 (CORRECT ME IF I'm wrong) and with Females of Nintendo like Samus or Zelda do you think Peach is still Nintendo's star girl???
Duncan

Con

As a start-off, don't worry, the Mario games from before 1984 didn't have the peaxh, you're find on timeline here.

Now, Peach has been one of the most famous video game women in history as you already know, but one of the most startling things is how flat her character really is. There isn't actually much to her, and everyone will have to admit the point made by feminists where Peach is an objective rather than a person has some truth to it. It;s only with severe analysis that you can draw character from her, namely that she's messed up in the head and willingly lets herself be kidnapped and possibly shagged by Bowser (Koopa kids). But she's not much of a poster girl. Despite being in over 40 games, her screen time is shorter than that of an mini-mario lifespan in world 8.

Perhaps that deconstruction isn't needed. I I will now give my alternative for "Star Girl"; Samus. She's a much more interesting and active character, gives off a lot more personality than Peach despite being mute. It's not really about representation either. I'd hardly recommend Toad as "Star Boy", that would be to Link.

(As counter to Other M; They tried giving every Nintendo character a voice at some point; Hey pizanos! EXcuuuuuuuuse me etc.....)

This probably is a bit too waffly. In short. Samus is a better character than Peach and since you actually play as her in game, she is a better poster girl.
JJAquarius

Pro

JJAquarius forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

Simply moving the debate forward a round.
JJAquarius

Pro

While it may seem that Peaches character is flat actually there is much more to her. Did you know that Bowser only kidnaps her for her abilities? Silly but TRUE! There isn't much to her other than her floating ability I can give you that,but while Nintendo may show more activity with Samus or Zelda do you see how odd it is to only push Peache's abilities in every single,Mario spin-off. Something that you you might find crazy is that; An ordinary soccer ball is 12 psi (15 psi can fracture the human skull) in the Super Mario soccer spin-off we see Peach kicking up to 5 times as much! Which will literally remove her opponents entire head off of there body if she were to kick them.

It is clear to me that Peach seriously does show more improvement in all of her games excluding the Main Mario franchise. It is no surprise that Nintendo is moving onto something bigger than her,but for right now,I say making her the first female to be available in Super Smash Bros. and other Nintendo franchises (especially her big appearances on Nintendo covers) Peach is not going anywhere for a long time.

And as long as Peach grows more in a short period of time....Peach will still remain Nintendo's star girl.
Duncan

Con

I don't simply mean who's the most powerful Nintendo character with 2 X-Chromosomes, if that were the case, i'm sure Bayonetta would be winning. (She's Nintendo exclusive now, so she counts) What I mean is who would best represent the female characters of Nintendo, who would be on the cover of Nintendo Monthly along with Mario and Link. When I said there wasn't much to her beside the fact that despite her apparent strength, she willingly surrenders to Bowser over every game by way of standing completely still, I was talking about how any game where you played as her would be an inferior game. Mario, Luigi, Link and Samus convey personality in subtle ways; Mario unleashes his inner monster by cheering gleeful "wahoos" as he crushes enemies with his own body weight, Luigi's animation details his nervous but caring nature, Link and Samus may be mutes, but their silence grants them personality the same way Chell and Freeman have personality.

If the question of Star Girl is determined by who is the most loved of all, Peach is slipping for sure. Bayonetta's ex-console style gives Nintendo a new audience who might follow her, while Peach is undercut by her own daughter Rosalina who also makes appearances, and don't forget Zelda, who gets to do her own dirty work in Hyrule Warriors. I would still side with Samus because she's more active in game. After all, a Mario game where you play as Toad wouldn't be much fun. That's for when you're 4th to a friend's house during a wii party. Peach does little more than wail in almost every game she's ever been in, and has a role equal to the Triforce; an item you have to fight the end boss for control for, followed by another game further down the timeline.

Like the plumber she calls a boyfriend when she's not snogging Bowser, Peach is too blank a slate to become poster boy, just like Luigi has had growing love from fans as he becomes the more popular Mario brother, Assertive characters like Zelda and Samus and Bayonetta have made stronger claims for the crown, ones that cant be distracted by a big cake followed by a kidnapping.
JJAquarius

Pro

JJAquarius forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

I won't post anything this round for fairness' sake.
JJAquarius

Pro

JJAquarius forfeited this round.
Duncan

Con

A disappointment when a promising debate ends in a chain of forfeits. To sum up my argument as an ending. Peach has no real effect on the franchise because of her extremely passive role with all the depth and character of a brick. When there are playable characters who could still apply for poster girl such as Samus, Zelda and Bayonetta, Peach is no longer the iconic First Lady of gaming she was 30 years ago.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
JJAquariusDuncanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Con. Pro forfeited multiple rounds which is rarely acceptable behavior in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had proper spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Con. While Pro presented a compelling case, there were several rounds where he failed to provide rebuttals where they were needed most. Con, on the other hand, rebutted every argument raised by Pro while presenting additional arguments that stood unchallenged by the end of the debate. For these reasons, Con wins arguments. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate. Clear win for Con.