Is Pro Wrestling like WWE a sport?

Started: 12/13/2013 Category: Sports

I attempted to do my first debate ever unfortunately my opponent messaged me and told me she would be forfeiting. Hopefully I can get another shot at my first ever debate.

Is Pro Wrestling like WWE a sport?

I will be taking the pro side of this and saying yes it is.
1st round is acceptance only and so on.

I accept ChubbyFatz's challenge and will be taking the Con side that no, WWE wrestling is not a professional sport.

I thank PipJeanTodd for accepting the challenge. Since my first debate is forfeited I will reiterate my arguments for this one.

So is pro wrestling like WWE a sport?

Yes it absolutely is. Below is the word sport as defined on dictionary. com:

SPORT [spawrt, spohrt]
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him. [1]

Wrestling is absolutely a 'athletic activity that requires skill AND physical prowess'. Although underrated it is one of the biggest past times. One thing I want to go a little deeper into is the competitive part to it.

One of the biggest statements made by detractors of the WWE is the competitive aspect. It's been said because the matches are pre planned or scripted it takes away the competitiveness nature.

Firstly lets talk about the scripted part. Yes wrestling is scripted however us as fans/viewers have absolutely no idea of the outcome or how the outcome came to be. We might have a idea or even a educated guess but we can never be 100% certain. Just like watching any sport you have favorites and underdogs, a underdog can win at any time but even if a favorite wins you never know how and what the margin of victory is. There is a level of mystery when it comes to the outcome just as there is with the WWE.

Regarding the competitive nature, these men and women are constantly fighting for their position on the roster. They are competing to get storylines and get television time. These are things that aren't shown on television but go on every single day. Look at any sport, if the player doesn't perform he will get benched. It's the same way with WWE if a wrestler is not performing at a high level he will not be involved in any storylines which in turn will lead to less tv time. Wrestling is possibly one of the most competitive sports when it comes to earning and keeping your spot on the roster. There are more and more wrestlers entering WWE every day and only a limited amount of spots and even a less spots available for tv time.

When you see a wrestler win the WWE title (the World Championship) for the first time you often see them extremely emotional even sometimes cry. Obviously they knew they were going to win, so why the emotion? It's what the title means. By winning this title WWE is saying at that point in time you are the very best. With all the competition going on for the #1 spot, you having the title solidifies you are up there. Go to any WWE wrestler and ask them if wrestling is competitive, they'll all tell you yes.

In the WWE, just like other sports, wrestlers get injured all the time. Sometimes minor and sometimes major. Although the match results are predetermined the moves are still very much real. From dislocated fingers to torn muscles to broken bones[2], it all happens in the WWE.

Enclosing I understand that the WWE has theatrics, pre determined outcomes and various storylines but whether it be by definition or anything else no one can deny it's competitiveness in which turn proves its categorization as sports.

I await my opponents rebuttal/arguments. Thank you.

As you said, WWE is a lot of acting.
Defining the word sport isn't going to help that. I'm an actor, and acting does not classify as a sport because there is no competition, as you said. There may be competition between characters, but since no one is really competing, it is not considered a sport.
For this reason, WWE is not a true sport because it's simply acting and two characters using acting to fight one another.

I thank my opponent for his reply.

My opponent states that defining the word sport is not going to help. I fail to understand the logic behind that statement. The topic is if pro wrestling is a sport hence we must define exactly what sport means. As I listed sport means several things and one of those things are competition. I clearly showed in round 1 how there is competition in pro wrestling.

You made a contradictory statement when you said there may be competition between characters in pro wrestling but no one is really competing. How is that possible? If there is competition then obviously people must be competing.

To be honest I think your whole argument is void because you are negating the definition of sport which is important and your letting your personal feelings about the "scripting" part judge everything.

Also although you stating you are a actor has nothing to do with anything I just wanted to touch on this one second. You said there is no competition in acting, my question to you is when you go for a audition what is that considered? Are you not....competing...for a spot?

I thank you once again for this debate!

PipJeanTodd forfeited this round.