Greco-Saxon1
good_decisions

Is Public Education (No) better than Private / Homeschooling Education (Yes)?

good_decisions has forfeited round #1.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Greco-Saxon1

Pro

"All that I know is that I know nothing." - Socrates ( - 399 BC).

Many children across the nation - in some cases, globally - are incorrectly taught in public, federally funded and standardised curricula. Rather than being taught HOW to think, they are taught WHAT to think. Intelligence must not be measured by one's wealth of knowledge, but to what extent they are willing to learn and their capability to shift opinions as a result of information. Of course a mental library is largely beneficial, but when one is not willing to trade information within their collection, their "books" get old and out-dated.

So, I ask you - the people - what the proper way of teaching should be. Given that these debates are on a Yes-No format, I can only give the following examples: No for Public Education; Yes for Private / Homeschooling.
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 1 year ago
TheUnexaminedLife
The aim of education is not to produce learned minds, but practical and disciplined bodies ready to be inserted into the workforce. As such, I think the public school system is highly successful in its goals: it makes obedient people, controlled and bound in their lives by an external power (the exams board).