mangolife23
aruiz1

Is R5 (the band) good?

Started: 4/16/2016 Category: Music

mangolife23

Pro

Most people won't get what this debate is, but every time I tell people my favorite band they scoff at me and tell me really dumb reasons why they hate this band. I just want to have a real debate with someone about this. I kind of doubt someone will accept, but if you do thank you because I am really looking forward to debating this! :)
aruiz1

Con

Well sure I'll have a debate with you! I'm trying to practice my debate skills anyhow. Okay I have heard of the band "R5", and sorry but I don't like it I find it very cheesy, as you said, and immature. Ross who was in "Austin and Ally" a Disney series is a good singer but with the band, not so much, if he started his career without the help of "Disney" maybe then he would be more famous, but in this case no.
mangolife23

Pro

First off, I just want to make sure you listen to all their music because I've had debates with my friends about them in the past and then it has been revealed that they hadn't even listened to a single song.

1st Album: Louder
EP: Heart Made Up On You
2nd Album: Sometime Last Night

Yes, their first album is like One Direction's first album. Very cheesy and teeny poppy. I found it kind of charming and addictive, but I completely see how other people hate it. However, their second album was SO much different. They mixed tons of different music styles to come up with their own sound. I call it Pop funk because it can't really be defined. For instance, in "Did You Have Your Fun?" There is an awesome musical interlude that is basically like rock vibes but... different? I seriously can't define it. All the songs are just so different. But one thing that is the same through all is the amazing guitar skills by Rocky Lynch.

Oh. The Disney band thing. Honestly, I don't get why people even care. It's about the music, why does it matter that Ross Lynch was on Austin and Ally? The bassist, Riker Lynch, was on Glee, (and dancing with the stars) so why isn't it a Glee band? Or a DWTS band? And let's not forget all the famous bands and artists that had member on Disney channel (or Nickelodeon) such as Selena Gomez, Nick Jonas, and DNCE. (And more, obviously) and also 5sos was the Disney channel NBT one year, JUST LIKE R5. Basing the quality of a band off their personal or unrelated endeavors is ridiculous. It's about the music, after all.

And Ross Lynch has taken steps to get out of the shadow of Disney channel. If you see his style now, he looks a lot more like the 20-year-old punk rocker he is now than the 15-year-old heartthrob he /played/ in a tv show.
aruiz1

Con

aruiz1 forfeited this round.
mangolife23

Pro

I heard that there was an issue with the website that didn't allow people to post their arguments so I get that you might not have been able to post an argument. No worries.
aruiz1

Con

aruiz1 forfeited this round.
mangolife23

Pro

or not??? Ok
aruiz1

Con

aruiz1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Boatlet 10 months ago
Boatlet
Sure! Add me as a friend and lets do it. I will ask for a little bit of time before we start to listen to the albums.
Posted by mangolife23 10 months ago
mangolife23
@Boatlet so since the person who accepted forfeited both other rounds, do you want to try this debate again? I could start a new one if you're still interested
Posted by mangolife23 10 months ago
mangolife23
Sounds good!
Posted by Boatlet 10 months ago
Boatlet
It's no problem, might as well listen along and see who sways me
Posted by mangolife23 10 months ago
mangolife23
No it's totally fine, you accepted first. I can't wait to debate. :)
Posted by aruiz1 10 months ago
aruiz1
If you guys want i could drop out, sorry didn't know you guys wanted to go against each other.
Posted by mangolife23 10 months ago
mangolife23
Um never mind I guess, someone else accepted. Maybe we can debate some other time?
Posted by mangolife23 10 months ago
mangolife23
Yeah! They actually only have two albums and an EP, since they are a young band. Their first album (Louder) is pretty awful, I'll admit. Most of the songs are pretty cheesy. (Although I still kind of like them, to be honest.) But their most recent album is titled 'Sometime Last Night' and is really good. I'm excited for the debate!
Posted by Boatlet 10 months ago
Boatlet
I'll accept, I haven't heard the band before. Perhaps we can decide a few songs or an album to base the argument around? If you let me listen from a first time I will gladly debate you!