Mahmoud.Y
Roasted_Marshmellow

Is Religion Evil?

Mahmoud.Y

Con

Throughout history religion has been blamed for being the sole/main source of all evil, whether it was used for controlling nations or brain washing the masses. This claim was brandished either by believers of competing religions or atheists to justify their hostility towards it.
These claims are, in my humble opinion, utterly false. I believe that it is not religion that is evil but rather it is the "people" who are evil, and through logical historical background I hope to demonstrate this to my fellow audience and respectable adversary.

1- Starting off with a basic premise that has nothing to do with FAITH, but rather I will view religions in their respective historical context not as spiritual figures but rather as historical people and events (excluding all the myths that an atheist might consider to be aggrandized events).
From this premise I argue from a purely humanitarian perspective that the main figures in the three Abrahamic religions (which are the largest and thus the main and most influential religions which we will discuss) Moses, Jesus and Mohammed were in fact freedom fighters who fought and died for liberty. Notice that the three fought regional and global superpower starting from the Egyptian Empire, the Roman Empire and Arabian Tribes that were unchallenged in their brutality. Also, if we look at the reforms that the three religions asked for at the time we (atheist and believer) would agree that those were revolutionary men seeking to better their societies.

2- But that isn't the point they make, is it? They claim that religion is the source of all evil for the past THOUSANDS of years. Hmmm, lets look at the unmatched atrocities in history. Starting with the most obvious: WW2. Aside from the fact that both WWs had NOTHING to do with religion, WW2 showed the true faces of evil. Guess what? Religion had nothing to do with it either. Hitlers' ideology stemmed from a western understanding that became popular at the time. This way of thinking justified for many slavery, genocide and ethnic cleansing. Social Darwinism was abused to describe other races as "sub-humans" to justify their abuse, the concept of "survival of the fittest" trumpeted out the kind of moral restraint that justified genocide, the Holocaust and even slavery. Now it is a mistake to think that I am bashing Darwin and his theories, as matter of fact, I am making it a point by not doing so. Because the truth is no matter what the justifications are it is the the "people" who are twisting ideas to fit their own perverted ideologies and if not religion they would seek great work like Darwin's'.

3- The biggest example of an atheist state (as opposed to secular state) would be the USSR and communist China. Remember Stalins' crusade of burning churches and arresting religious folks? Maos' Cultural Revolution? Marxs' communist manifesto which insisted on materialism and the "evil" of religion? Those guys were great and proved atheisim to be awesome, right? No, and it is not necessarily because atheisim or communism are evil but rather it is the "people" who are evil. It is they who will seek any means to brain wash their subjects.

TL;DR
1- Abrahamic Religions symbolize freedom, fighting oppression, the weak defeating the strong superpower states, revolution and liberty. They provide moral guild lines for society.
2- WWs and especially WW2 are proof that great evil and infact all evil isn't rooted in religious dogma but rather in mankinds' need for power. Religion is only used as an excuse.
3- Communist regimes were largely atheists and they did alot of evil (not hating on communism btw) which also supports my thesis.
Roasted_Marshmellow

Pro

Where do you get your definition of Good and Evil from?
Mahmoud.Y

Con

To cheat, to lie, to trick, to kill. To do anything that you wouldn't like to be done to you or that the victim doesn't want.
Roasted_Marshmellow

Pro

Where are you deriving that definition from?
Mahmoud.Y

Con

Let us agree on that definition for the sake of this argument. Please proceed constructively or I will remove the thread altogether.
Roasted_Marshmellow

Pro

Roasted_Marshmellow forfeited this round.
Mahmoud.Y

Con

Mahmoud.Y forfeited this round.
Roasted_Marshmellow

Pro

You cannot have a debate unless you have sources to back up your arguments. You have to operate off of objective texts to prove your point. Simply stating a definition you feel is right is pure subjectivity, and would be considered circular reasoning. I would like to take this round to teach you for your future debates that you need to quote sources for your argument instead of just making blanket statements without anything to back it up. Is Religion Evil? The answer is... We can debate this again with you actually using sources, giving true definitions to prove your point so that we can have a constructive debate. Lastly I would ask. Why do you feel the need to remove the thread when I am asking Fair question?
Posted by Mahmoud.Y 3 years ago
Mahmoud.Y
Ah, I see me Roasted accepted the challenge! Awaiting your ingenious rebuttal. :)