Ayden_Linden
robfh92

Is Religion necessary for Society?

Ayden_Linden

Con

Firstly, if you would like to accept this, please use your first round to accept this debate and clearly state your position on the matter.

I believe that Religion is not at all necessary for society, and that a society can still thrive and prosper without Religion.

Good luck to you!
robfh92

Pro

Accepted, firstly I would like to point out, that there is not a yes or no answer to this question. Because it can be both.

If your question refers to the present tense then yes, I believe that at this point in time religion is necessary for society. Although if you take the concept of religion and apply it in the future tense, I would expect that as science, logic and reason becomes more widely accepted over religion. Then yes you are right, we would no longer need religion for society to function.
Ayden_Linden

Con

Yes, My apologies for not being as specific as I should have, that is my bad, I am referring to the present tense.

One of the most common statements made bu Theists is that Religion is necessary for society because it has a clearly defined moral code, and yes, while i believe in the last five of the Ten Commandments, as they were important in establishing a moral code for the Israelites, as well as all other nations or societies that had adopted Judaism, Islam, and Christianity since, I am perfectly agreed in the matter of religion playing an important role of unification of moral identity in the past tense, but I believe that now, in the present tense, enough scientific evidence has arisen to disprove the existence of a God in those mediums, thus, without the need of God(s) to explain the world around us, we do not need Religion, either, the level of understanding that we as a species have achieved of the universe we were born into is now so great that most modern religions have to go to great lengths to explain the existence of their God(s) in light of hard scientific evidence showing otherwise

But I digress.

Atheists have been shown on a mountain of occasions to show compassion and morality towards their fellow man, Bill Gates is an agnostic atheist, and yet he has donated over U.S $1 Billion to charity foundations around the globe, as well as several other atheists (such as myself.) Who have also given away their own money and food to charity foundations. Thus, morally, society does not need religion, and its ideologies on morality, in the context of the present tense.
robfh92

Pro

robfh92 forfeited this round.
Ayden_Linden

Con

Ayden_Linden forfeited this round.
robfh92

Pro

robfh92 forfeited this round.
Ayden_Linden

Con

Ayden_Linden forfeited this round.
robfh92

Pro

robfh92 forfeited this round.
Posted by Annalisa 1 year ago
Annalisa
I don't exactly believe that, even though I'm Catholic myself. I feel as if Religion in the world today, seems to make everything stressful. This is what people believe in, and it should be kept between the God they believe in or,(what their beliefs are). I still don't understand why people still fight over religions. Shouldn't we all just understand that everyone believes in something different.
Posted by khalder 1 year ago
khalder
It's a moot question. Religion is a personal matter; it has little to do with being necessary for the society. The only way it intersects with the society as a whole is that we must respect everyone's choices as long as those choices don't affect others negatively.