Is Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" a 'rapey' song?

Started: 12/4/2013 Category: Music

I, in no way, find this to be a 'rapey' song.
I know some people think it is after reading through the lyrics, and I've also heard the lines between consent and rape are not 'blurred' but I think they are.
The one line that decides my thoughts is "The way you grab me, Must wanna get nasty."
She is obviously asking for it!
My reasoning - if you're in a club, half naked, grinding on a man to provocative music, I don't blame him for thinking that you 'want it.'
If you don't 'want it' don't act like you do!
Women who are guilty of this are blurring their own lines!
And it's not in the song he says, 'here, take it.'
He's not forcing himself upon her.
He's simply stating, that it surely seems like she 'wants it' and that he would be glad to give it to her.
And if she doesn't, then she should have thought about that before 'grabbing him.'

The idea that acting a specific way is "asking" for sexual behavior is a mindset often employed by rapists. It enforces the idea that women who behave a certain way deserve whatever sexual behavior comes to them because they clearly wanted it--but they never explicitly stated they did! It implies that women who act in certain ways are up for grabs, completely separating her sexuality from her personhood and autonomy. A concept that stems from this is that if a woman engages in certain sexual behavior on her own will, she's obviously consenting to any further sexual contact.

The lines between consent and rape are not blurred. If someone does not explicitly state he or she wants to engage in sex, he or she has not consented. Period. And pursuing further is sexual contact to someone who did not clearly consent, which is rape. Sure, consent can absolutely be fuzzy, but if it's fuzzy, it's not full consent and should not be treated as such.

As for the song, rape doesn't actually occur in it. You are correct when you state that Thicke is not raping a woman in the song. He's not! However, the song enforces certain mindsets that may potentially enable, trivialize, and/or excuse rape, which is the reason for concern.

Ok, so just because a woman throws herself at a man, implying that she wants to have sex, she might not.
But that is deceptive. If a woman doesn't have any interest in having sex with a man, then she should not imply in anyway that she does.
As a woman, if a man were throwing signals my way when he really didn't want anything, he would be looked down upon.
It's not ok for a woman to do the same thing.
Now, I'm not saying that just because a women acts like she's sexually drawn to a man when she's not, she should be raped.
No... rape is not ok in any instance.
But in Robin's song, he's simply imply that she's asking for it, which I thoroughly agree with.
Not asking for rape, but asking for sexual activity.
I'm not a rapist, just by the way. But I am someone who thinks that you should act according to what you really want.
Don't go out and act like a whore, when you have no interest in being one.

KaleBevilacqua forfeited this round.

MissyLee forfeited this round.

Aw, that sucks. I was really looking forward to your response.

Anyway, as for the song, there's no actual rape in it, but some of it perpetuates mindsets that could enable rape.

As for the opinionated statements you're making, the idea of a woman "acting like she wants sex" is often absurd rubbish. For all we know, she could just be dancing and wearing clothes that she likes. In response to your comment, activity that's supposedly sexual in nature shouldn't be the opposite of dignity. It is a horrible, sexist mindset that we as a society need to chuck in the trash bin in order to achieve equality and liberty.
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 2 years ago
I am so sorry! I did not mean to forfeit a round of this debate.

Sex isn't the opposite of dignity or morality. And while it may seem misleading for a woman to act in a traditionally "sexy" way but not want sex, sex shouldn't necessarily be expected--hell, perhaps she just wanted to wear some cute clothes and have fun dancing.
Posted by MissyLee 2 years ago
I am a girl, thank you.,
No where in the song, is he forcing anything upon her.
Just like what MathandScienceprodigy said in his comment.
She grabbed HIM, he, did no such thing.

& I care not what you have to say about me.
If a woman wants dignity, dress appropriately.
And no where in the song is the woman protesting.
There was no protest, and the only physical touch was her, on him.

And ok, so maybe 'whore' wasnt the best term.
How about trashy? Low class? Slutty?

I'm not saying, if you dress provocatively, then it's ok for you to get raped.
I did not say that.
But I'm saying, if you don't want sexual attention drawn to yourself, don't dress like that.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
"Don't go out and act like a whore, when you have no interest in being one."
That sentence (women who dress provocatively are "whores," blame the victim, whores always want sex, if someone's provocative that immediately means sex is ok not matter what protests happen later) is messed up on a number of levels.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
"She is obviously asking for it!" --Con lost not only the round but her/his humanity in that sentence.

That very sentence is the mentality that propagates rape and other violence against women. This very sentence is what rapists say in their defense. A women ought to be able to wear what she damn well pleases without being violently assaulted. Con makes me sick. Plus, the song talks about forcing a women to have sex not matter what the woman says, with the excuse that "she should have thought of that before..." sickening.
Posted by kbub 2 years ago
Con is SO OFFENSIVE. Just SO OFFENSIVE. Good defense Pro.
I think there's no way to take the stuff back, so I don't think Con can recover.
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 2 years ago
Except he's saying "must wanna get nasty." That's only an assumption that the aforementioned woman wants to get nasty. Consent to grabbing isn't consent to any further sexual contact ("getting nasty") and taking the grabbing as a go-ahead could enable rape to occur.
Posted by MathandScienceprodigy 2 years ago
Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse, which is initiated by one or more persons against another person without that person's consent. The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion, abuse of authority or against a person who is incapable of valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, or below the legal age of consent.[1][2][3][4] The term rape is sometimes used interchangeably with the term sexual assault.[5]

According to the lyrics,

"The way you grab me, us wanna get nasty"

She consents[6] to it. In fact, she initiates[7] it. And so does the singer. So therefore, according to the decent legal[4] definition of rape, that particular lyric would no longer be considered "rapey".

Posted by toamatt26 2 years ago
Your argument has nothing to do with it being a 'rapey' song or not (and i think its rappy)
Vote Placed by kbub 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was more convincing. MissyLee does not adequately address the subtle societal sanctions of rape that KaleBevilacqua claims is in the content of the song. Also, "She is obviously asking for it!" is not something you say, in life and especially debate. Also, "Don't go out and act like a whore, when you have no interest in being one" is super-rude.