nco.20
skipsaweirdo

Is Rock Music Dead?

nco.20 has forfeited round #5.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 1/16/2017 Category: Music
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

nco.20

Con

The other day I asked myself when was the last time a Rock song topped the charts. So I did what I had to do, I sought the help of St. Google; to my surprise and dismay the answer to my question was "Heathens", by Twenty One Pilots. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't hate this band nor have I anything against it, it just that that is NOT Rock music. It's something in the ranges of pop and alternative, but it is NOT ROCK MUSIC. So then I asked myself another question, is Rock Music dead?

Led Zeppelin in the 70's, Guns N' Roses in the 80's, and Nirvana and during the 90's, just to name a few, topped the charts and created massive radio hits. But the XXI Century turned things around. Even though we still have great Rock bands around (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, The Black Keys, Muse, etc.), they simply don't top the charts like their predecessors. They don't have a huge radio presence. Although this is sadly true, I wonder if it symbolizes or equals the death of Rock Music in its purest form. After thinking about it for a while, I came to the conclusion that it doesn't.

Topping the charts or being on the radio 24/7 doesn't mean a song is good or alive. At least not in the XXI Century. Silly songs with excessive vamping and recycled formulas for lyrics and beats are hogging the music industry, but that doesn't signify the death of Rock Music. It just signifies the mindset change of the music production industry. It's not about creating art anymore. It's about making money, not about sending powerful messages or making people's emotions purge through the beauty of music.

We still have great Rock bands around, and even though they are " not doing well" in terms of what the capitalists that own the music world now classify as "success", they still keep this great genre alive. A good position on the charts or multiple Grammy Awards are not what define a genre and it's power. Good Rock Music is still being created today, and the genre is very much alive.
skipsaweirdo

Pro

Blink 182, Kings of Leon, Metallica, Green day , Bon Jovi, all had number one albums in 2016. So dead isn't really accurate imo.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org...
nco.20

Con

So, if Rock Music is not dead, what would you say its status is?

PS: In case you didn't get my actual point: I am arguing that Rock Music is NOT dead, just not popular in terms of what capitalist production magnates define as popular.
skipsaweirdo

Pro

To be honest my opiniin is more conspiracy theory and controlled perception as opposed to actual public interest at least in the states and European countries where rock seems popular. Iron Maiden seems to draw huge crowds in Brazil as does Rush. Scorpions always have large crowds in Asian countries. In the states I think there is an effort to water down what rock and roll did for certain aspects of society like race relations.
As far as popular, it seems straight forward. 5 number one albums in a year speaks for itself. Radio play is irrelevant and probably more about personal agenda. But there is also a change in how an artist can be heard. It's very easy, well easier than it used to be, to promote oneself without any large investment so the capitalists side of my conspiracy theory probably agrees with you. I do think they are attempting to control access to music as best they can.
Is rock dead, no. Is it popular, yes. Are we filled with independents, more than ever before. Will those independents sell out quickly with the right offer? Ask Justin beiber how his record c0ntract went. Not that I consider him rock but just an example of successful self promotion.
And my bad, I assumed without looking you were taking a pro position on your question...lol I might have wasted your time.
nco.20

Con

1- I guess I don't have many more words to say here since I agree with practically everything you wrote. But I guess I was only keeping in mind the music scene in the US, where radio and charts have the biggest impact on what the mainstream hears.

2- Regarding what you said about independent artists: I do agree with you that local, independent and new musicians are emerging now more than ever, but it's sad to see them be discouraged by the "bigs" or by judges on TV contests, etc. (I've seen that happen way too many times).

3- Don't apologize, I always enjoy a nice conversation about music :)
skipsaweirdo

Pro

I agree there really isn't a new rock band emerging to dominate mainstream press which might actually make your point. Every generation has its niche it seems and some evolve and some seem to stay close to the original inception or don't evolve beyond many steps. Rap comes to mind as it doesn't seem to be able to evolve anymore as far as I can tell. Looking back, rap took two or three steps then stalled. Rock had probably the longest run as far as evolving in my view. We all know disco stay the same after "electronica" ...lol.
I never considered the voice or idol shows as an artist killer. They never focused on bands as much as developing a singer/songwriter and there simply is no place for innovative arranging to go so new sounds seem dead too. It's almost as if music has hit its apex.
Just fyi if you aren't already aware of this but there is no original music. According to musicologists around 1900 is when the ability to write 12 bars of original music ran out. It has all been done before. Style and presentation is all that's left as far as original. It brings to mind a lot of what and why people like Elvis and even Jimi Hendrix didn't actually need to write music although Hendrix did. Jimis "Along the watchtower" and "Hey Joe" are examples of why these types of artists were so impactful. Jimi did write songs but didn't need to. Elvis had a unique sound also but since he did everything, as far as style, you can say anything about him and it would be true. He released straight forward carbon copies as well as unique arrangements and sounds that no one had done before. I just don't see how anyone can top Pink Floyd or Rush or Black Sabbaths or Zeps "new and different sounding music" anymore. Of course you could always run tapes backwards like The Beatles if all else fails.
The world must be coming to an end....lol
nco.20

Con

Yeah, I know that there's no "new" or "original" music per se, as we only have a limited amount of notes, but new instruments and techniques are discovered or repurposed and I think that opens up many, many doors for creativity to burst. But, you're right, with what we have now it is very difficult to top the great bands of the early second half of the XX Century. Which makes it even harder for Rock Music to be once again what it used to be.
skipsaweirdo

Pro

Rock music doesn't have to evolve, or any music for that matter, to be pleasing to people. Popular music is for young people for the most part. I think as one gets older the ability to find music that is unique diminishes unless the person wasn't passionate about it in the first place. There's always style but even that seems to have run out so far. After all, we think talking to music is "music performance".....we have reached the apex. Humanity is running out of options. Can anyone say "mime music"...haha
Posted by 46571 1 year ago
46571
Whoever said "rock music is dead" are either stuck in the past, focusing too much on trends or has their head stuck up their asses and most of all, aren't fully aware that rock/metal along with its sub-genres do exist and is not, I repeat, not dead! Open your minds, seek further and further for rock music and not what's currently on the radio. For goodness sake, we all now have the internet!
Posted by Defyingsilence 1 year ago
Defyingsilence
Rock music has been dead for a long time now at least 11 years I would guess it was already starting to going down hill since 2000.
Posted by Sovcody2 1 year ago
Sovcody2
One word, sabaton
Posted by CosmoJarvis 1 year ago
CosmoJarvis
Rock never dies.