Kescarte_DeJudica
Impartial

Is Salvation Really Offered as a Free Gift?

Kescarte_DeJudica
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

Kescarte_DeJudica

Pro

In this debate, I wish to argue upon the subject of salvation. Was it really offered as a free gift to anyone who excepts it? Do we have anything to lose by excepting this gift? I will state my position in the first round and would like for my opponent to do the same. For the remaining rounds we will debate our positions back and forth with one another. Otherwise, there are no real "rules".

My position is that salvation is completely free as a gift to the recipient. Jesus Christ died on the cross to cover our sins, and we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by accepting that gift. I look forward to a good debate.
Impartial

Con

Forgive me for being so blunt but I don't accept that there is such a thing as salvation and sin. So really, your first hurdle is to prove that they exist.
Kescarte_DeJudica

Pro

Thank you Con, for joining the debate. I originally wanted to debate the topic of salvation as a free gift, on the assumption that salvation exists. The topic of whether or not salvation exists really deserves a whole debate (or even multiple debates) unto itself. However, there are no rules that say this can not be debated now, and I am perfectly happy to debate upon this topic.

I shall start by saying that I do not have the ability to prove that salvation and sin exist. The reason is that I can not "know" that they exist, I can only believe that they exist based on what evidence I have found. But I can not know that they exist anymore than I can know that something like the Loch Ness monster or Santa Claus exists. The reason is, I as a mortal do not have the capabilities to search the entire world over and be familiar with it to the point where I can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Santa Claus, or anything else, does not exist.

Thus, my argument is that although I can not know for sure that salvation and sin exist, I can not know for sure that they do not either. And this applies to everyone, not just to myself. Would you, my opponent, be willing to accept the possibility of the existence of salvation and sin in light of this evidence?
Impartial

Con

Impartial forfeited this round.
Kescarte_DeJudica

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited his turn in the last round, I will just give up my argument for this round and let him make his case in the next round before I continue. :)
Impartial

Con

Impartial forfeited this round.
Kescarte_DeJudica

Pro

Once again, since my opponent forfeited his turn in the last round, I will just give up my argument for this round and let him make his case in the next round before I continue. :)
Impartial

Con

Impartial forfeited this round.
Kescarte_DeJudica

Pro

Unfortunately, it looks like my opponent was not interested in finishing this debate. What a shame. Oh, well, perhaps we can redo it at another time. Thank you DDO for hosting this debate.
Impartial

Con

Impartial forfeited this round.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Accept, not except.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
Impartial
I'll go one better; I'll prove that God IS the ONLY PLAUSIBLE explanation for the existence of Life ON Earth?
In order for you NOT to BELIEVE that God did CREATE all life on the Earth, you MUST PROVE beyond a reasonable DOUBT that Evolution IS accurate! You cannot prove that though because your Evolutionary Scientist FAILED to mention that they USED an ADULT subject in all their Models? Did you get that?

THEY USED INACCURATE DATA! yes of course go check it out! What you will see is that they COULDN'T figure out how Newborns could SURVIVE TO ADULTHOOD, without and ADULT to feed, water and protect them ... so they just Skipped right to an ADULT animal .... which as anyone which an elementary education knows IS IMPOSSIBLE, isn't it?

NO POSSIBLE WAY, MILLIONS OF ADULT SPECIES COULD HAVE FORMED NATURALLY! and since there's also NO NATURAL way Newborn creatures COULD SURVIVE TO ADULTHOOD, to BEGIN LIFE, that leaves only ONE PLAUSIBLE explanation that FITS the paradigm?

The GENESIS account where God created all creatures INCLUDING Man ... as ADULTS!

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

sorry to break it to you like that ... but, there's a reason: God is angry with you because you have suppressed His truth all these years and if you were to die today, you'd go to Hell. You are now given a opportunity to make it right and seek Him, otherwise there's no hope for you?

Romans 1:18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness,

Revelation 21:8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars"they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
Posted by Thiest_1998 1 year ago
Thiest_1998
Romans 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

It's a free gift
Posted by Kescarte_DeJudica 1 year ago
Kescarte_DeJudica
Ragnar, are there opportunity costs even for something such as salvation? Assuming that salvation is real and that the biblical account for it is accurate, what opportunity costs are there? What I am trying to get at is, what alternative benefit must be given up to accept salvation?
Posted by Kescarte_DeJudica 1 year ago
Kescarte_DeJudica
MyWorstEnemy, every good gift usually has an undesirable outcome for not excepting it. If I offered you a motorcycle for your birthday, and you didn't accept it, you would lose out on a whole lot of things, be it the fun of tearing across the countryside, or the cash you could make by reselling it. But if you refuse it, does that mean that value has been removed from it?

As for lack of information, if I give you the motorcycle but don't provide an owner's manual or an appraisal statement, would that mean that you could not find out this information for yourself? Couldn't you go online and search on Ebay for an owner's manual for that motorcycle model? Or go down to a car dealer, and pay for an appraisal? I can only assume that if you wanted to know badly enough, you would search out the things which you need, but don't have.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Opportunity Costs are the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen.

Because of those, nothing can ever be completely free.
Posted by MyWorstEnemy 1 year ago
MyWorstEnemy
Before I can debate this topic I need to know many more details of who what where when and so on. The one thing that seems to remove the value of the free gift is the outcome for not accepting it. Not everyone who is offered the gift is given enough information to know or fully understand the value of the gift.
Posted by Kescarte_DeJudica 1 year ago
Kescarte_DeJudica
Really? What kind of opportunity costs?
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
There will always be opportunity costs.
Vote Placed by princearchitect 1 year ago
princearchitect
Kescarte_DeJudicaImpartial
Who won the debate:Vote Checkmark-
Reasons for voting decision: Pro wins easily as Con forfeits rounds 2, 3, 4, 5.