Debatornator
Ragnar

Is School A Form Of Slavery?

Ragnar

Debatornator

Pro

Yes, I believe it is, children are held against their will, they are taught things they will never need, and they aren't payed. It's not a job, it's slavery! And the teachers get money for ruining a child's self-confidence with bad grades!
Ragnar

Con

I shall argue that schools in general are not a form of slavery. To accuse the system of such, would require redefining slavery. As a key element, most levels of school are volentary. Further my argument shall not focus on greater society or parents, but merely strive to prove that school itself as an institution is engaging in the priactice of slavery.

Rebuttal:

While students are taught things they will never need, that elavates them further from realms comparable to slavery. Slaves are taught exactly what they need and little more. If school were a form of slavery, than why teach literacy to so many?

Definitions:
According to the Collins Dictionary, slavery is "The state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune" (1).
And slave is "a person legally owned by another and having no freedom of action or right to property" (2).
Are these definitions acceptable to my oppoment?

I assume this argument is k-12 type schools, and not colleges where the student pays to be there? Also the students rather than the teachers?

Finially if school is to be argued to be a subcategory of slavery, such as how college students are occasionally turned into "wage slaves," please define it in Round 2.

(1) http://www.collinsdictionary.com...
(2) http://www.collinsdictionary.com...

Debatornator

Pro

Debatornator forfeited this round.
Ragnar

Con

My oppoment has failed to responde.

As the closest they offer to an argument, is the fallacy of Proof By Assertion; I need offer no more proofs to my side.
Debatornator

Pro

Debatornator forfeited this round.
Ragnar

Con

My oppoment has failed to respond.
Posted by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
I must never again accept any debate which gives people three days to reply.
Posted by TheSlenderMan 3 years ago
TheSlenderMan
It can feel that way to kids...bus so can being under parents. To be fair to Pro, he said it was a"form" of slavery...I'm not sure if he was saying it was itself slavery or using it as an analogy. Pro, was definitely not clear in his definitions or what stance he wanted Con to take.

Honestly, Con sounded like a disgrunted school goer who was sick of being forced to go to school. He wasn't professional, sounded angry, and wasn't clear. But maybe his next argument will be better.
Posted by MaddiSweetz 3 years ago
MaddiSweetz
School really isn't a form of slavery. We are not held against our will, we leave if we want. Yes, we are punished but it's not physical punishment. We aren't whipped and put in chains and only allowed to eat small amounts of food. Obviously we don't get paid to go to school but, school helps us to get paid. School educates us in certain areas that will help us in the future.
Vote Placed by Smithereens 3 years ago
Smithereens
DebatornatorRagnarTied
Vote Placed by Misterscruffles 3 years ago
Misterscruffles
DebatornatorRagnarTied