Faith16
Jabuticaba

Is School Cafeteria Food in NY Healthy?

Jabuticaba

Faith16

Pro

Cafeteria school food is not healthy or tasty.
Jabuticaba

Con

My opponent is not debating for the correct side. The title is "Is School Cafeteria Food in NY Healthy?". They decided to be pro. Since they are pro, they are required to argue why it is healthy. I am con, I am supposed to say it is not healthy. Just because my opponent is debating for the wrong side, does not mean I will to. I am sticking to the fact that school cafeteria food is healthy. Since they are pro, they are required to argue that it is healthy. Failure to do so will make them lose points for arguments and conduct, since they aren't making arguments for their side, and technically conceding if they agree with the side provided to me.

Definition

Healthy: "conducive to good health" [1]

Arguments

The average lunch meal for a public school cafeteria consists of deep fried foods.

"Deep-fried popcorn chicken, tiny taters, bread, barbecue sauce, ketchup, milk. That high-fat, high-sodium, low-fiber menu is a typical lunch at a typical American elementary school." [2]

As you can see, there are various items such as deep fried chicken, barbeque sauce, ketchup and milk. Now these foods are unhealthy, especially for a growing child. Let us look at nutrition facts for each item.

Picture of popcorn chicken nutrition facts. [3]

As you can see, this item, popcorn chicken is very unhealthy. It has 14g of fat, and 2g of that fat is saturated fat. Looking at fat, the best one is unsaturated, and then saturated, and then trans. Saturated and trans fat are both very unhealthy. It also contains 29% of your daily reccomended sodium intake, or in other words 700 mg. Though there are few benefits such as iron and protein, the unhealthy areas of the item overtake these benefits, making the item unhealthy. And let's not forget that there are also more unhealthy items as well on the menu.

Picture of tater tots nutrition facts [4]

As you can see, in tater tots, there is not much benefits. There are many unhealthy things though. It contains 15 g of fat, 3g being saturated. Furthermore, it contains 1010 mg of sodium. The large amount of these is horrible, and extremly unhealthy.

Now let's add up the chicken and the tater tots, just those 2 items, ignoring the other stuff like bread and barbeque sause. So first of all there are 29 g of fat, 5 of them saturated. This is about 26 percent of your daily value of fat, and 24 of saturated. That is horrible, considering there are other things as well, and that this is only 1 meal. And sodium would have about 1710 g. This is 91% of your daily reccomended amount of sodium, just in 1 meal! That is almost all of it!

So as you can see, cafeteria food is unhealthy because of the fat, and sodium.

1.http://dictionary.reference.com...
2.http://www.parents.com...
3.http://www.delianytime.com...
4.http://www.methodsofhealing.com...;
Faith16

Pro

Faith16 forfeited this round.
Jabuticaba

Con

Arguments extended.
Faith16

Pro

Faith16 forfeited this round.
Jabuticaba

Con

My opponent has made a full forfeit, and debated for the wrong side, I think it is clear who is the winner.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
Faith16JabuticabaTied
Reasons for voting decision: FFq
Vote Placed by MrJosh 3 years ago
MrJosh
Faith16JabuticabaTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think the reasoning is clear.