Victori
MolecularBird06

Is School Mandatory?

MolecularBird06

Victori

Pro

Some child development experts are concerned that schools today aren't teaching kids the skills they need to succeed. A culture of testing, they say, is inhibiting the development of "life skills". Curricular content aside, what do you think you are really learning in school? Are you developing skills that will carry you through life?
You don't need to go to school to be successful. As a matter of fact, the majority of the world's millionaires didn't attend college. How many Lady Gaga's and Lil Waynes are there, compared to the rest of the people who didn't go to school. I'd put it this way going to school doesn't automatically make you successful, but not going to school ALMOST automatically makes you unsuccessful.
Education is not going to school and participating in school activities. It is TRUE nobody has succeeded in life without proper education. Question: How can one get knowledge and understanding without being taught or self taught? By telling us that education is found in certain places. In my view education leads you to some of our destiny's. So primary education is much needed, It provides better exposure to a dynamic range than looking for academic accomplishments. We really need to understand that only getting a job you are not successful, success comes in different aspects of life. Education and success are two different ways but are co-related. May be there are lots of examples that some people are not much educated but they are famous. So they are not famous for their education but for their skill, talent.
What do you think you are learning at school, not in terms of academic content, but in terms of "life lessons" and "soft skills" How to follow directions? How to interpret text? How to cooperate and collaborate? How to think critically? ....
MolecularBird06

Con

True that schools help, but I think that they are a waste of time. I feel that people should study what they are interested in, not be forced to study English, or Physics. If you want to be a historian, what is the point of studying Chemistry? People should be left to pursue what they want to learn not be forced to learn pointless things. If a person is interested in a topic, then wouldn't they want to study it anyway. Wouldn't they be better suited for work if they could spend more time studying what they wanted to. If you go to school and find it boring, will you pay attention and learn, probably not, but if you studied a topic that interests you, then you would definitely learn. When you go to school you don't learn life lessons on how to work together, how to interact with other people, you learn these from friends and family.
Victori

Pro

Victori forfeited this round.
MolecularBird06

Con

Other reasons that we shouldn't make schools mandatory is the cost of running schools. The minimum that a school may spend on a student is $6000. If the student doesn't pay attention or even show up for school, that's $6000 wasted. Also if a student doesn't even want to learn that's extra work for the teacher, attempting to stop the student from talking. This leaves less time for other students to learn. Plus it could help lower stress at schools. Wouldn't you feel stress if you were assigned a huge project to work on with a partner that didn't want to work. If you could eliminate the students who don't want to work, wouldn't that make it less stressful for the students who wanted to learn?
Victori

Pro

Victori forfeited this round.
MolecularBird06

Con

Thanks, for the debate.
Posted by UnderHill 3 years ago
UnderHill
lol
Posted by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
I'm sure somebody could find some weird country without laws requiring kids to go to school and win this debate.
Posted by famer 3 years ago
famer
And I'd honestly think that an opposition for this debate will be required to come up with extremely radical ideas to argue for their case, which in the end may end up resulting in an argument over what is being debated on, rather than the actual resolution.
Posted by famer 3 years ago
famer
You need to change the resolution from "Is school mandatory" to "Should school be mandatory" so that it's actually debatable. The fact remains that school is mandatory for most nations with a functioning system of government.
Posted by Victori 3 years ago
Victori
If you looked up all your research you would understand were I'm speaking from. The topic has already been debated I was giving my opinion and stating facts that others already gave opinions to.
Posted by TheWarrior 3 years ago
TheWarrior
I am afraid school is mandatory. Your question should be, Should school be mandatory? Not, Is school mandatory?
Posted by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
Jonbonbon is right, Victori; school IS mandatory. There is no point in debating facts.
Posted by Victori 3 years ago
Victori
Excuse me, it's under opinion which I gave and supporting details that supports it. Actually it is an debate I'm going against whoever said it wasn't mandatory sweetheart, I recall this website was for opinions and debates.
Posted by Jonbonbon 3 years ago
Jonbonbon
That's a fact, not a debate.
Posted by Victori 3 years ago
Victori
I was agreeing school is mandatory.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
VictoriMolecularBird06Tied
Reasons for voting decision: No one argued the resolution. The debate was about whether school is mandatory, not whether it should be. Conduct to Con for Pro's forfeits.