HighSchoolerBeth
TheOpposition

Is Shakespeare's Macbeth is a tragic hero?

TheOpposition

HighSchoolerBeth

Pro

Shakespeare's Macbeth is a tragic hero. He was not controlled by the Witches, but made his own decisions in regards to killing Duncan, Banquo and the Macduff family. I will be arguing the Pro side of this argument.
TheOpposition

Con

Hi there, I will be opposing the statement that Macbeth is a tragic hero.

Macbeth is not a tragic hero for one simple reason. This reason is that he is not a hero at all. Tragic, yes, but not a hero.
A protagonist? Perhaps that could be argued, however, most of Macbeth's actions are antagonistic in nature. They do not benefit anyone other than himself, and show antagonistic qualities such as: greed, jealousy, hate, and anger. None of these qualities are protagonistic OR heroic. To hammer in my point further I will examine the definition of hero and show the proposition exactly why Macbeth is not a hero.

The definition of hero under the Oxford Dictionary is as follows: "A person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities."
Is Macbeth a man? While he is male in gender, his wife and even Macbeth himself comment in the play that he is more woman than man. Here is a quote directly form the play on this:

Prithee, peace:
I dare do all that may become a man;
Who dares do more is none.

(Source: Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 7, Line 46)

"I dare do all that may become a man" means that Macbeth is not willing to do all that being a man entails, ie killing Duncan. He is saying that he doesn't want to be "a real man" and kill his best friend. By saying this, he shows that he is not considered a man in the time frame of which the book takes place in. Men in the setting of the book are expected to be able to kill another man on a moment's notice, and because Macbeth fails to meet this, he shows that he is in fact not a man. So, Macbeth is not a man. Now to compare Macbeth to the rest of the definition:

Is Macbeth admired for his courage? No. Does Macbeth even have courage? No. Does he have outstanding achievements? Nope; murder and treason aren't things to be proud of. But that doesn't matter, nobody admires him for them anyways. Does Macbeth have outstanding qualities? Of course not! As I have already covered above, Macbeth's qualities are all antagonistic.
So, Macbeth does not fit the definition of hero. Therefore, he cannot be a tragic hero because he is not hero at all!

Sources: Macbeth ( you can read it online at http://en.wikiquote.org...)
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...
HighSchoolerBeth

Pro

HighSchoolerBeth forfeited this round.
TheOpposition

Con

My opponent has forfeited the round and has failed to bring up any arguments supporting her case whatsoever. The opposition stands by its argument that Macbeth is not a tragic hero because he is no hero at all.
HighSchoolerBeth

Pro

HighSchoolerBeth forfeited this round.
TheOpposition

Con

Throughout this debate, my opponent has not made a single argument. Due to the fact that she forfeited every round, I believe that I have won. The opposition stands by its argument that Macbeth is not a tragic hero because he is no hero at all.
Posted by Amerinew 2 years ago
Amerinew
By trying to prove that Macbeth was not a hero, you did just that. All the characteristic
s of a hero you claim him not to have he has, or had rather. This is why he is considered a tragic hero. Yes he was courageous, for he fought the traitor; the Thane of Cawdor, and yes he was a man of honour since he was cousin to the king and Thane of Glamis. A tragic hero is "a great or virtuous character in a dramatic tragedy who is destined for downfall, suffering, or defeat:" He started as a great character and was destined (or not wether you believe in fate or free will) for downfall as I can assume you know.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
HighSchoolerBethTheOppositionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, points con.