Sinque
EverythingIsMacabre

Is Shutting Down Club Penguin to Start Anew a Good Idea?

EverythingIsMacabre has forfeited round #2.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 2/25/2017 Category: Economics
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Sinque

Con

When I was younger, I played a lot Club Penguin. Recently, I heard they are shutting down the game after 11 years to start 'Clup Penguin World', a 3D version of the game. I was of course a bit sad, but mostly curious how the game would do, business wise.

My argument is that Club Penguin World will be a failure, and Disney should have kept Club Penguin and done something to it, e.g. an update.

-Round 1 is accepting the challenge. After that, anything goes.

-Be polite and civil.

-Make good arguments.

-This is an argument over money efficiency, not an opinion of if they should do that for other reasons (but if other reasons impact money efficiency, that is a valid evidence).
EverythingIsMacabre

Pro

I would have to disagree with you there. Disney has to move on after 11 years of service.
CPI has been in development for several years, which means they would've took the time to make the game look good.
Yet, if you still want to play CP, there's a private server that has been up for over 5 years. Here's the link: http://www.cpps.me...
Back then, Toontown was being replaced by CP, but people started making private servers. (ex. Toontown Rewritten)

I seek your next arguement.
Sinque

Con

Thanks for the link.
First of all, moving on from Club Penguin isn’t so much of a need. Unlike games for adults, Club Penguin can’t hold players in forever because they will eventually outgrow the game. Disney could probably recycle parties and nobody would notice.

The reason Disney is shutting Club Penguin down is at least partially do to its reducing popularity. From what I can tell, the reason is due to Animal Jam, which has gone up in popularity as Club Penguin has gone down.

Disney has a few options to get the market back. My guess is the kids will either find out about Club Penguin or Animal Jam, and probably won’t find about the other until later when they are already stuck to one. Because of that, more advertisement would probably help. A good chunk of parents will look for better options for games and will most likely pick Animal Jam. It has a cheaper membership, is more educational, and supports animals. Disney needs to cheapen the price ($7 a month is way to expensive anyway), and hook in the parents that will check.

I don’t see how making the game 3D and on a new device will help either of these needs. Kids probably won’t notice see the game in 3D and then decide to play it. Parents probably won’t notice. All it does is make the whole system more expensive.

I look forward to your next argument.
Posted by Sinque 1 year ago
Sinque
>:) He he
Posted by EverythingIsMacabre 1 year ago
EverythingIsMacabre
I just noticed this is for DIsney's economy.
I have made a big mistake accepting this.
Posted by JimShady 1 year ago
JimShady
Just play the club penguin ds games like special forces
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
They are shutting down Club Penguin!?