Is Social Media better than Real life communication?

Started: 7/4/2015 Category: Technology

I say that real life communication should be preferable...
I'm waiting for the opponent to come up!

(This might be a bit tough, as I don't actually use social media much. Still, looking forward to the debate, wish you luck, but I wish me better luck :P May the best debater win.)
Now real life communication has it's merits, don't get me wrong. But social media has more apparent benefits. And as time goes on, and social media becomes more and more face to face (video chats are likely to be more featured in future social media) the connections can be made when previously they could not.

Now for these apparent benefits I mentioned-
1. Social media can keep up childhood friendships even when people leave town. For instance, my dad uses it to catch up with friends that now live three hours away and with his sister, who travels a lot. Surely keeping those bonds strong is more important than being able to make new ones- making new friends isn't going to help if the bonds break, which happens if you can't interact with them for a while.
2. In this technological age, the more time we spend understanding the technology, the better. And social media takes up 25% of time on the internet for Americans ( so it's largely responsible for helping us in our understanding of tech.
3. With social media, you can write up what you want to say before you say it.
4. While real life communication is good for establishing relationships, for maintaining it it's a minefield. Having social media for maintaining these relationships is a great thing.
5. You can actually make many friends online, and find several intriguing examples of personality types you don't bump into in you neighbourhood. It encourages cultural dispersion, which is great! This site, for example, shows many strong personalities, including Russian_metaphor_man, Stephannoi, etc. all of whom show clear opinions such as pro communism, stopping violence, which speaks of the contrast between your culture and others, or how similar many of us are respectively.

As such, real life communication is not much use if you want to remain friends for a long time, and social media can educate us about technology, as well as letting us think through whether we should really say something or not by making us write it all out before sending it. And personally, I prefer one or two great friendships to a dozen superficial ones. So therefore, social media is of more value than real life communication.

(Whoa man, this is my first debate online, and I've got a pretty good opponent, so well anyway lets get back to the point..)

Agreed that some of your points are pretty much true but here's what i have to say:
1. Instead of sending "hi" texts and being unsure of the reply or the person with whom you really want to talk to is offline... well then what does one do? then there's no point of all the Social media. I mean, for that time, of course... and when that person finally comes online maybe you are offline... what i mean to say is there is an interrupted conversation.
2. Talking about keeping in touch, I am very well aware of the fact that everybody is busy with their own competitive lives, but in the end, those competitions won't matter... Ever imagined giving a surprise to a friend that lives far away.. that expression on his/her face would be remarkable.. that in turn makes you happy... then the conversation that starts will not be interrupted. That friend will also get a chance to take a brake from his/her life...
3. Through social media, we cannot read expressions.... expressions are something that say more than words.... whilst chatting if a person is unhappy or so, "I'm Fine" will give no clue of sadness to the other person
4. Technology is not everything... kids need to go outside and play in the garden.. instead, they are all curled up on the couch playing games in the iPad....
5. On social media, there is a huge risk of being a witness of cyber-bullying or fake identities or cyber-crime, etc. these criminals may lure you emotionally into something that cannot be escaped easily

Social media can be dangerous....

Oh, good luck with your first debate online! Hope you enjoy it.

Rebuttals to your points-
1. Yes, sometimes people aren't online. But there are still enough times that correlate to make social media better than real life interaction. After all, in real life you also aren't there to talk for large amounts of the time, so both methods have that flaw, which means this ones a tie between real life and social media, with more wins on the side of social media.
2. Imagine instead that you could give them a surprise like that.... whenever you wanted, with no need to travel hundreds of miles. Just a nice video chat, where you can quickly call them up and chat to them face to face. Social media therefore can bring many more nice surprises, as people can't afford to visit far away friends often but they can afford to talk over social media.
3. Yes, that's one of the modern flaws I mentioned, but social media is going in the direction of face to face talks. We already have the technology for a video chat- just a matter of time before it becomes really popular. There already are in fact several forms of social media that use your face- Even Facebook recently added video chat. (really, with that name it kind of makes sense that they'd add something that uses faces.)
4. Oh yes, technology is not everything- however, it's a large enough amount of everything in modern day life that social media teaching the next generation about technology is a great thing. It's unfortunate that technology takes priority over playing outside, but really it's the kids choice what they find most enjoyable to do. And if that's play games on the iPad, who are we to stop their joy?
5. Yes, there are risks on the internet. There are also risks in the real world- a car could run you over, you could get abused, you could catch a terrible disease. At least the risks on the internet kill you less often.

Technically speaking, everything's dangerous. It's a matter of how many lives it saves and how many it kills. For instance, if a medicine killed 3/4 of everyone who took it, and cured 1/4, that's a very, very bad cure (unless of course the disease was lethal anyway.) Social media saves a large number of people, by warning them to steer clear of dangerous areas. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell how many of them would have died without that warning, but social media is so large that even if it only saves 0.1%, that's still over a million lives saved

( shows quite clearly the number of social media users up to and in 2013, although ones after that appear to be uncertain. In any case, social media has at least 1.59 billion, and an estimated 1.96 billion this year, which means that even if it's warnings saves as small a number of people as 0.1%, that's still at least 1.59 million people saved. So it is actually a life saver, ending a relatively small number of lives.

Wow... Okay... you're definitely strong... and ironically i use the social media quite a lot..
the video chat feature is really fascinating, but it really doesn't give you the feeling

but anyway....
1. A video chat... according to me, wouldn't be much of a surprise... and what if they're not online on Skype or not free for a video chat either... it kind of blocks you from interacting with that person
2. On social media... you try to push up your voice, or what you have to say, but you don't even know if anyone is listening... instead, you could actually talk to a friend or a group of friends and they're in front of you... you know exactly what they're doing i.e. paying attention or not
3. We're talking about the risk of communication on social media... a car could run you over even when you're exploring Facebook...
4. Kids prefer playing on their iPad, not because they enjoy it more than playing outside.... they prefer it because kids these days don't know what it is like to play in the parks or gardens or play grounds
5. Talking via Facebook and other such sites, we use nonsense abbreviations such as 2moro, brb, ssup, lol etc.. which might weaken the writing skills of a student.... whereas talking to people might actually improve your vocabulary
6. Oh, and "There was also alarming evidence that Facebook can make people feel more miserable, with almost half saying they believe they are sadder than the rest of their Facebook friends. 25% of students have at some point shown signs of severe depression in their status updates."
Now, obviously, we don't get depressed by Talking to someone
7. Fake accounts of people, as mentioned earlier, can lure you into things that are hard to escape. in real life, you actually know the person you're talking to... there are evidently less chances of that happening
8. This video is by far probably my strongest point.

In the end, i would like to thank you for the wonderful debate as it has been... i was a great experience and greater spread of knowledge....

May the best debater win!!!!

I thank you very kindly for the compliment, I pride myself for my ability to use language well, and to have someone make that pride feel justified is appreciated very much.

1. I have tried video chat on rare occasions, I find that video chats are actually very good at showing expressions, with lots of the feeling. Perhaps this differs from person to person, but what's important is that it's there for people who do like the old fashioned way- it's like backwards compatibility, it allows us to enjoy the old way of doing things as well as the cool new ones. So it's basically an improved version of normal communication.

2. The same can be said of normal conversation, people can secretly be paying no real attention to you. At least when you find out people aren't paying attention on social media, it hurts less than seeing friends just sitting there ignoring you.

3. The same could be said of books. People can be run over when too engrossed in a book to watch for cars- to say that this is a reason to be rid of social media means we should also ban books. And social media is not terribly risky, in face to face arguments can and often will get violent, on social media the only way things can have physical consequence is if someone is sensitive about such matters. The less physical consequences the better.

4. I disagree. It's not like we've removed parks or gardens just because Facebook came along. If they're missing over in the states, that's not social media's fault, that's probably got more to do with America needing more real estate. The places are available, they can go whenever they have free time. Clearly therefore you can assume that if the option is there and kids aren't taking it, said kids prefer alternative options, such as using the iPad.

5. I'll have to assume that some people use atrocious English online. I never do, I've never seen anyone genuinely use anything like that. And talking does not improve your vocabulary. You may hear someone use a word you don't know, but you won't be able to know the spelling from how they say it, you won't necessarily even learn the meaning of it. And are any students really going to use the language they use online when writing, say, an essay? I think not- people interact in different ways in different circumstance. In fact, if a new word appears online you can search online for a definition, so you know where to apply it and since it's written down, you know how to spell it.

6. That is indeed sad that 25% have had depression at some stage on their Facebook status. Considering that ordinarily this is 10%, that is indeed worrying. However, cause and correlation- Is Facebook the cause of depression, or is depression the reason for some people going on Facebook? Surely if you were sad, you'd look for comfort, and if you didn't think you could find it where you live (which those with depression surely would) they would probably turn to social media to try to find people who they can enjoy talking to. In any case, this is one survey- if more surveys confirmed this, then this could be of large concern. Sorry, I don't really know much about depression, please mention in the comments if there is anything wrong about my conclusion.

7. One word- conman. They trick you in real life. And they're better at it, psychologically making people buy into something is harder when you can't use physical things to trick your senses and make you feel more like it's a good deal. Fake accounts are also an issue, but it's harder to trick you than in real life.

8. I agree in all but one word- "my". That is some one else's work, one I actually saw before you showed me it. It is just as deep and admirable a video as I remember it being. So don't use it as one of "your" points. It's a point you're borrowing. That is by far the strongest point from the Con side.
However, keep in mind that this video is showing a very extreme form of using social media. It's showing the lives of people who spend hours and hours and hours on screens- the most extreme level. Extremists in general are bad news. Islamic extremists for instance gave America a very unfair poor view of the overall country. So please, view this as a video about the extreme social media users, not about social media users as a whole. It even says in the description that "It's about finding a balance." so basically saying that it's a message to the people who use social media all the time. I still argue that social media in moderation is better than real life communications, however. In moderation, it is better. Out of moderation, anything is bad, even things such as fruit, oxygen and water. So naturally, if you use social media out of moderation, it will not be great. Likewise, if you use normal communication too much, people get annoyed by you constantly talking, and again is bad.

(Debate ended)

A few notes for Con.

Didn't mean to write such a long essay on the matter, it's been a great argument and for your first online debate there was a few pretty good points. Hope you enjoy taking online debates in future!

P.S. this debate is going on at the same time as my 5th debate, so I naturally have a bit more experience in online debates, you did better than I probably would have first time. (my first debate ironically was on the same subject. I'd send the link but as both me and my friend ended up mentioning getting bullied at primary, it's a bit depressing.)
Posted by MahimaS 1 year ago
Dear (Whatever your name is) thank you for this debate... No matter who wins, it was a great experience and i'll look forward to more debates with you and thank you so much for those pointers... They will be of much help..

(P.S. some students do write the short forms in the essays)