Blue_Hood
Midnight1131

Is Society Too Concerned About Animals?

Midnight1131

Blue_Hood

Pro

I've seen everyone else say that the first round is just acceptance. Therefore, I am saying that the first round is just acceptance. I'm not sure if I put the right position though. If you're confused I'm saying that society is too concerned about animals and it's not a good thing. Yeah.
Midnight1131

Con

Blue_Hood

Pro

Thank you for accepting and thank you for the comment (Sorry for taking so long to update it I chose a bad time to start this debate)
_______________________________________________
I believe that society is becoming more and more focused on unimportant things such as animals. There a more important matters at hand than the well being of animals. People are being murdered, thrown into the streets, kidnapped, and much much more and it seems as if society believes the animals are more important than fellow human beings
Midnight1131

Con

I thank my opponent for this debate.

I'll start with rebuttals.

There a more important matters at hand than the well being of animals.

My opponent has not shown the relevance of this statement. We can't decide to prioritize our tasks, and then put all of our resources towards that one task. Imagine if we did this in the field of healthcare. ALS raised plenty of money last year. But this disease affects only 2 out of 100,000 people per year [1]. Something like Tubercolosis affects many more people, but that doesn't mean we can just take all of the money that goes into ALS research and treatment give it over to Tubercolosis treatment.

People are being murdered, thrown into the streets, kidnapped, and much much more and it seems as if society believes the animals are more important than fellow human beings.

My opponent has not provided any evidence that society considers animals more important than human beings. The US Environmental Protection Agency has recieved a budget of $8,139,887,000 in 2015 [2.] Compare this to the US department of defence, which recieved $610.096 billion in 2015 [3.] You can even compare the budget of the EPA with the New York City Police Department, which recieves an annual budget of 4.8 billion [4.] Keep in mind tha this is one cities police department's budget, compared to the Environment Protection Agency budget, which applies to the entire nation.

Moving on to some of my own arguments.

Economic Benefits
There are many economic benefits of preserving ecosystems. For example, a 2006 study by the University of Montana found that the return of wolves to Yellowstone National Park brought in $35,000,000 in tourist revenue. In Florida, the total economic value of maintaining healthy ecosystems in various counties exceeds $3,000,000,000 per year. Wildlife related recreation brought in more than $120,000,000,000 every year. Not to mention that all of the plants and animals that are being protected may one day help cure diseases. Crocodile blood can be used as a powerful antibiotic and Desert pupfish can be used for treatments for kidney disease.

I'll save some arguments for later.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
  2. http://www2.epa.gov...
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
  4. http://en.wikipedia.org...
  5. http://www.defenders.org...
Blue_Hood

Pro

Blue_Hood forfeited this round.
Midnight1131

Con

I extend.
Blue_Hood

Pro

Blue_Hood forfeited this round.
Midnight1131

Con

Vote Con.
Posted by Discipulus_Didicit 2 years ago
Discipulus_Didicit
To make your position more clear you should have made the proposition "society is too concerned about animals" like a proper debate format rather than putting it in the form of a question. I do not understand why people put so many debate topics in the format of a question.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 2 years ago
FaustianJustice
Blue_HoodMidnight1131Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Awarded to Con due to FFs. Convincing argument: Again, last man standing, Con's arguments were (>>backed with appropriate citation<<), and impact was surprisingly brought to the table through economic means. Pro was not able to get passed the hurdle of demonstrating their point: it was just assertion, con was supported through means more than the premise.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Blue_HoodMidnight1131Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfetiure