Leikavon1
GoldenBeezy

Is Switching Gender Bad?

GoldenBeezy has forfeited round #1.

Leikavon1

Pro

Could the notion that somebody who is born a different gender and wanting to switch through surgery as a good thing really be bad for their mental health? I mean, these people are unhappy with their bodies since they were born and always feeling the need to switch. They go throughout their lives not being comfortable with themselves and more importantly, not knowing what their "real" them really is. They believe that because of something in their brain which may be natural or simply adopted (a different topic, but one i'd be happy to discuss) telling them their natural body isn't what it was supposed to be. and then, as they grow up into adults they go through surgery and end up switching their genders. It's likely that they will not be happy with their body at first because, for one, it probably doesn't look like they'd imagined, secondly, it feels strange, and thirdly, they know they're not "true" men or women. Their Sexual organs do not truly function and the surgery does not completely change their bodies, but rather its appearance. They may likely regret ever having their sex change, even though they may never admit it, and it was an even greater emotional trauma than growing up thinking they're different. (http://thefederalist.com...) This isn't my preferred news source but I hope it suffices for now. within the transgender population 20 percent regret (not taking into account those who didn't admit), attempted suicides 41 percent, mental illness 60-90 percent among transgendered population. Think about that, the mental illness number, if correct, is staggeringly high! these people may not be born as something else, they may simply be mentally ill! and the point I want to get at is that it may be obviously unhealthy to welcome this type of attitude when it actually is likely caused by a mental illness. (I want no bias, 60-90% is a HUGE difference, it may be 61% for all we know, but that's still A LOT). The thought that these people who are born unhappy with what they were naturally given is completely fine and that it's perfectly acceptable behaviour, when it clearly isn't. I personally don't believe these feelings of being a different gender are Born, I believe it is adopted. As an example, a boy as a young kid may like barbie dolls but it's not accepted for him to like it, from then on he decides he no longer wants to be a boy anymore, and that thought grows and grows with different meanings and scars as he grows up to eventually cause him to change to a girl as an adult. he'll never be satisfied. Now, I do ask for one thing, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give actual debates, don't shun this because it's a different opinion and you have nothing to argue with, or just some openly bland statement like "I think they're completely fine and there's nothing wrong with them, why can't you? they're all normal people". Debate Away!
Posted by civiero 7 months ago
civiero
"Could the notion that somebody who is born a different gender and wanting to switch through surgery as a good thing really be bad for their mental health?"

According to your own premise they are born a "different gender" (presumably than their body), so how would transition surgery constitute "switching gender" if they are transitioning their body to align with the gender you have stated they already have?