tyrr
Dunlj

Is Taiwan a part of China?

Dunlj

tyrr

Con

As a Taiwanese myself, I would say no, Taiwan is absolutely not a part of China.
I'll let pro (Which is the guy who thinks Taiwan is a part of China) say his argument first.
Here is my argument if you (Pro) want to see it.
Taiwan has its own politics, we have president, we have government, therefore, we are a country, not a part of China.
Dunlj

Pro

I would like to thank tyrr for making this intresting debate! Now for my arugments.

1. Not a member of the UN and only recognised by 21 states.

Taiwan is not a member of the United Nations, (I'm not saying if you're not a member of the UN that means you're not a country) it is better for a country to join the UN so they get a say in international politics. Taiwan is only recongnised by 21 states, while China is not recognised by 23 states.

2. Cairo Declaration

The Cairo Declaration of 1 December 1943 was approved by The Empire Japan in its surrender, the document says that Taiwan would be restored to China at the end of World War 2.

3. Joint Communique of the Government of Japan and the Government of the People's Republic of China

Japan in article 3 stated that "it fully understands and respects the position of the Government of the People's Republic of China that Taiwan is an inalienable part of the territory of the People's Republic of China".

Souces:
http://www.ndl.go.jp...
http://news.xinhuanet.com...;
tyrr

Con

First, thank you for accepting my debate :)
Second, from now I'll explain why your arguments are wrong.
But before that I wanna mention that Xin Hua net is a Chinese media, therefore, they'll only say that Taiwan is a part of China, no matter how weird the reason is.
1.Not a member of the UN and only recognized by 21 states

Well actually it's 22.
It's basically an impossible mission to get in to the UN for Taiwan, China is a big problem cause they won't vote yes.
Besides, There's no any relationship between is Taiwan a part of China and is Taiwan in the UN.
Aslo, at least we still have 22 states that recognizes us!
The fact is that R.O.C was a founding member of UN, and we were replaced by P.R.C, this is pretty irony because we founded UN with other countries but now we can't get in to the UN!

2.Cairo Declaration

The China at 1943 was controlled by R.O.C, which is the goverment that is currently controling Taiwan.

There's no any reletionship between this communique and Taiwan since it's just between Japan and PRC, actually there are still many people in Japan who think that Taiwan is not a part of China, specially after the 2011 Japan earthquake becuase we donated almost 9 billion NTD to Japan.
Dunlj

Pro

Thank you for responding! Now to bussiness!

China is not the only problem it is the rest of the countires.
Taiwan was not a founding member of the UN, the ROC your talking about is long gone 1912–1949, there is a differnce the ROC today could not of helped the form the UN when the orignal ROC was dissolved. The new ROC was formed in 1949 a completly new country, the old China has been taken over, the UN was fomred in 1945.

2. Cairo Declaration

That was the old ROC.

Still does not change the fact that the government of Japan thinks Taiwan is apart of China.
tyrr

Con

tyrr forfeited this round.
Dunlj

Pro

Extend my arguments.
tyrr

Con

tyrr forfeited this round.
Dunlj

Pro

Dunlj forfeited this round.
tyrr

Con

tyrr forfeited this round.
Dunlj

Pro

Dunlj forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by TheUser 3 years ago
TheUser
tyrrDunljTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits.