Is Taylor Swift a good role model?

This debate is just a simple/fun one to argue on whether or not you think Taylor Swift is a good role model or not.

1. First round is ACCEPTANCE ONLY.
2. If you're just going to say, "no, because she sucks," or something like that, please don't even bother joining! I want some real reasons here.

Thank you, and I look forward to debating with my opponent.

I accept your terms and will debate against the fact that she is a good role-model.

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this challenge. I look forward to seeing your responses.

I am going to say that yes, Taylor Swift is an amazing role model, especially for young kids. Compared to other artists like Miley Cyrus, she is very classy and sophisticated.

First of all, Taylor is a 23 year old woman. She could easily just post a picture of her getting drunk or partying on Instagram, or even a video (like Selena Gomez did on her recent 21st birthday.) In an interview with 60 Minutes, she said this:

"I don"t like, like drinking. I"m not like, "Man, that"s my favorite thing to do." And I don"t drink to get drunk because that"s just not cute."

Here is another quote by her:

"I've been given the freedom to do whatever I want. If I want to storm out of the house and go to a club and get drunk and take my clothes off and run naked through Nashville, I can do that. I just really would rather not. It's as simple as that. It's not like I've been beaten down by some corporation that's forcing me to always behave myself - I just naturally do. Sometimes people are fascinated by the fact that I don't care about partying, almost to the point where they think it's weird. I think when we get to the point where it's strange for you not to be stumbling around high on something, then it's a warped world."

Taylor obviously has her priorities in shape. In fact, although her & Selena Gomez are very close friends and have attended multiple awards shows together, Taylor didn't attend her 21st birthday party. Why? Because of the video Selena filmed. It included drinking and partying, and Taylor is obviously too classy to expose herself in such a way.

Also, it is rumored that the reason Taylor and Harry Styles (member of One Direction) broke up, is because of his hardcore partying and drinking lifestyle.

To end my first round, I'd like to leave you with yet another quote used by Miss Swift. This was her response when asked about being a role model:

""I definitely think about a million people when I'm getting dressed in the morning, and that's just part of my life now. I think it's my responsibility to know it and to be conscious of it. It would be really easy to say, 'I'm 21 now, I do what I want. You raise your kids,' but it's not the truth of it. The truth of it is that every singer out there with songs on the radio is raising the next generation, so make your words count."

B) Myself, really.

Thank you for citing your resources here, I am glad to have someone that does as such.

In regards to Taylor not drinking or releasing herself like Selena Gomez did, I believe that it is good for children or teenagers to realize that drinking is something that should be safely done or not done at all. I agree that Taylor Swift is a good role-model on that standpoint, but the amount of bad things she dose out-weighs the immediate good.

Nearly all of Taylor Swift's songs are about hetero-normative relationships, where as the 'endgame' to the actually song is marriage and the other songs that are not about that are about a love-hate relationship with a boy, to which Taylor is forced to either break-up.. or break-down. This, in itself, is giving teenagers a tunnel vision on what relationships are to be and how it should affect them - when in actuality, relationships are far more complex than what Taylor goes on to say in her songs.

Not to mention the fact that she used her creative musical talent to slander other artists and other people, which is wrong. It's an invasion of privacy for those involved in a clean break-up with her and it's nothing that she needs to be citing about - there are allusions in her songs that damage the reputation of other's. This is bad influence purely because it teaching teenagers that revenge is the best dish to serve when in a break-up. [Example: At the VMAs, Kayne West infamously ran onstage as Swift accepted her Moon Man to make sure the world knew Beyonce had "one of the best videos of all time. All time." The media went into a frenzy over West"s jerk move, which went on to fuel Swift"s single "Mean," and her fans turned protective. (Feminspire)]

Some of her other songs are just borderline hateful:

"Picture to burn": "So go and tell your friends, That I"m obsessive and crazy, That"s fine, I"ll tell mine, You"re gay."

That's just homophobic, to be honest. ...and you're stooping that low instead of fixing the relationship? That's not a good role-model material there.

"Fifteen": "Laughing at the other girls who think they're so cool"

She's here assuming that she is better than other girls, and thus teaching kids that you should laugh at the people that they think are cooler than them, in general. As much as she states that she doesn't like bullies - she seems to be one herself.

In short, it is simply that she is a bully - she uses her music as a muse to justify the fact that she has suffered from broken hearts and should bully the ones that put her in that spot with musical pieces. She teaches teenagers the wrong about relationships - with the ending being marriage and the other being complete destruction of the relationship; in actuality, there is a lot more to the relationship life than she brings on. She's dependent on men and she teaches everyone else to be dependent on men. Not to mention, she assumes that she is better than everyone else because of her "heartbreaks".

Basically, you are arguing about how Taylor's songs are the reasons why she is a bad role model.

First of all, I'd like to point out that not all of her songs are about love. Here's a list of examples I can name just off the top of my head:

Tied Together With a Smile (about her friend who was struggling with an eating disorder)
The Outside (her struggle with fitting in with people at school)
Change (about working hard to succeed in what you want)
A Place in this World(struggling to find a place in the world -- pretty self explanatory)
The Best Day (a song about her and her family)
Long Live (about her band mates and her fans and them being so supportive)
Never Grow Up (about missing her childhood)
Safe & Sound (about safety and assuring that you will be alright)
22(about being 22 and living life while you can)
Ronan (about a little boy with cancer who died)

Also, you say that "Mean" was written about a mean critic, not Kanye West. In fact, "Innocent" was written about him, explaining how she doesn't hold anything against him and how everyone makes mistakes. Here's a lyric sample:

"It"s okay
Life is a tough crowd
32 is still growing up now
Who you are is not what you did
You're still an innocent."

You also argue that "Picture To Burn" is homophobic, because of the lyric "So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy, that's fine, I'll tell mine you're gay." That was actually the demo version of the song. In the official self titled album, "Taylor Swift", she changed the lyric to "So go and tell your friends that I'm obsessive and crazy, that's fine, you won't mind if I say... By the way," and then continues with the chorus.

As for "Fifteen", you argue she thinks she is better than other girls.. And that one's simple, really. She goes on to say "We'll be out of here as soon as we can," stating that high school is a struggle, especially for people who aren't particularly popular. Taylor was bullied in high school so it makes sense that she was laughing and not quite understanding why someone would think they were better than someone else. (The "cool" girls at her school.)

All in all, Taylor Swift is the perfect example for a great role model, especially compared to the other artists today. I thank my opponent for his time and arguments and wish him the best of luck.

"First of all, I'd like to point out that not all of her songs are about love. "

You're naming a couple of songs that may preach good meaning, but other than that, the other songs that talk about "love" are usually mean, selfish, and borderline mental. "Picture to Burn" is a PERFECT example to show how mean and mental she can be:

1.) Even if the lyric was changed, she still entered it in before - it doesn't change the fact that it was homophobic for her to do so. Her changing the lyric does not justify that point.

2.) "Tell your friends I'm obsessive and crazy" - the first part of the music video is her peering out of a car with her friend, quite literally, stalking her ex-boyfriend with binoculars. If that isn't obsessive and crazy, I honestly don't know what is; other songs can prove that point just as much as "Picture to Burn" can.

3.) She states in the song that she is going to start dating his best friends and, if he has a problem with it, her biased father will come in a show him how to "respect" her and be nice - even though she's obsessively stalking him and trying to ruin his life after a break-up where she is the "victim".

4.) She continues the entire song inside of his home, with her crew - destroying his things, licking his belongings, and spraying "Loser" on multiple things in the house with shaving cream.

Okay, now, the end of the music video did show her saying "I'm over it," but that shouldn't justify this being a role-model song. A young teenager could easily misconstrue this and take this as literal - the basis of her listeners are pre-teen to teenagers - this is based on the fact that, early in her career, she had communicated with them all via Myspace and grown to be known as the artist that /actually/ talked to her fans. This generated a larger pre-teen and teenage following: a following that is easily manipulated and a following that could take this song and bring it to life with their own relationships.

Almost all of her other songs are the same; the boy destroyed her and [of course], it's always his fault. So, she decides to destroy his life in one way or another: whether that be stalking him, destroying his life and belongings ("Picture To Burn") or trying to bring them down to lift herself up ("Mean").

She's a bully and here's my evidence: The songs that revolve around her ex-boyfriends are all vain - they feature a hopeless damsel that is so torn up about the break-up that she turns out to be the "victim". Ultimately thinking that it justifies her going out and ruining the ex's life to make herself feel better - countless songs will prove that.

Also, if someone does something wrong to her, she expresses that through song: "Mean", "Innocence", etc.. they're all about people that did something bad to her - the thing is, she blatantly makes it apparent that she is better than them because of what they did to her. Her lyrics are cynical, mean, and down-right fallacious in most cases.

I'm not debating that there isn't good in her lyrics - such as her songs against bullying, eating disorders and the like; but we mustn't forget that she wrecks all those positive vibes with songs where she makes it apparent that "revenge a dish best served all the time, no matter what happened to you."

It's ultimately teaching kids that it is okay to destroy someone's life, dwell over a break-up until you have panic attacks, or get revenge on someone to feel better. It's all played out behind her 'high-minded' lyrics; people get too wrapped up in the latter to be able to see what a true deviant she is.
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
Conduct: Equal. Both sides were well-behaved and acted appropriately.

S&G: I found some mistakes from Con.

Sources: They both had a one or so, but Pro literally source herself. I didn't feel she deserved full punishment for it, since one could easily ignore it... In the majority of this debate will be opinionated. I had to give Con Sources, but I didn't feel Pro deserved to lose 2 points, so I gave her Conduct as to only take away one point. Aside from sourcing herself, they were still evenly sourced.

Argument: Con rebutted everything Pro had and even brought up excellent points regarding how anti-love, pro-hate, pro-revenge, and anti-male Taylor Swift is. While Pro quoted some songs, she must understand that having good songs doesn't make you a good role model... Having no bad songs makes you a good role model.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 3 years ago
Whoops, I meant to type quotations around 'fact'.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.