whalenmsc2014
desrochersmsc14

Is Taylor Swift really considered to be a country music artist compared to Carrie Underwood?

Started: 11/19/2013 Category: Music

whalenmsc2014

Pro

Taylor Swift is considered to be a country artist because of her passion for country music ever since she was 10 years old. When she was ten years old, she entered into many local karaoke contests and recorded a few demo tapes that always made it to the receptionist's desk of Nashville's record labels. She then grew to love writing her own songs and learned to play the guitar like most country music artists do. when she came out with her first COUNTRY album at the age of 16, her new debt single "Tim McGraw" was listed at number 6 on Hot Country Songs Billboard list. She also chose to write this song in honor of her favorite country singer Tim McGraw. Taylor's music is definitely considered to be under the category of country since her lyrics represent country lifestyles and are accompanied by traditional country instruments, such as the banjo, the guitar, and the wash board. In October 2007, Swift was recognized for her talented country album and her songwriter peers at Nashville Songwriters Association International voted her to be Songwriter/Artist of the Year, which was a title that had never been taken by a 17-year-old before. She also grew as an artist after she won the best music video award on MTV in 2009 by featuring in other country artist's hit singles. She has ultimately grown into a huge young country singer in America today and has just been the second ever person to receive the Pinnacle Award at the 47th Country Music Awards. Taylor Swift has had many accomplishments throughout her country music career and id defiantly considered to be a top notch country music artist in America today.
desrochersmsc14

Con

I've been a fan of Carrie's since the fourth grade when she was on American Idol. Ever since I have stuck by her side and fell in love with her music and had a strong connection. The definition of a REAL country artist is someone who can write songs about a variety of different experiences and real life situations that the listener can relate to, and Carrie is the definition of a TRUE country artist. Taylor is not even close to that. All of her songs are about the same thing, love. It's annoying and getting old. Since Carrie's first album, "Some Hearts," she has stuck with her country roots. Her songs are about real life situations that people can relate other than Taylor's which are all about love, which is getting to be really annoying. I will say, however, that some of Carrie's songs have a little rock in them, but that's because growing up she loved Guns N' Roses and other rock bands. After Taylor's first album her songs started to become less and less country. Her last album, "Red," isn't even close to country, it's pop. Compared to Taylor, Carrie has won many more awards. One of the biggest was one she received in 2010 after her performance of "Temporary Home" on the ACM's, the triple crown. Only a few other artists have actually received this award, one of them being Reba McEntire. Has Taylor won it, no. Carrie won it because of her music, her REAL country music. She has won over 50 awards from various award shows. Yeah Taylor is well loved throughout the country music industry, but Carrie is equally loved. She belongs in country music and deserves to be nominated at country music award shows unlike Taylor.
whalenmsc2014

Pro

Just because Taylor Swift's country songs are mostly about love, doesn't mean that she is not a country music singer. Carrie Underwood does write about all different life situations that her fans can relate to, but she also includes love into her lyrics as well. For example "I Just Can't Leave Love Alone" & "Do You Think About Me" are two songs that revolve around the concept of falling in love. Another reason Taylor writes about love is because she is "enamored" by falling in love and the concept of love. Also, most of her fans are either teenage girls or young women who are experiencing relationships themselves and enjoy listening to this type of music. Yes, I do agree that Taylor's latest album "RED" is very pop oriented, but Carrie Underwood also incorporates pop into some of her songs, such as "I Don't even Know My Last Name." I also think Taylor and Carrie try to include country music and pop music either together or separate to appeal to young fans and to obtain new ones as well, since that type of music is in highest demand for many people.
desrochersmsc14

Con

Yes Carrie does have songs written about love but not all of them. Taylor just writes about the same things over and over again. I've come to the conclusion that she just dates guys so she can money off of them by writing a song. Young kids are blinded by love. They see all these pictures, movies and television shows that depict love a certain way and think that thats how love is supposed to be that way. Plus, Taylor makes love seem like a fairytale, but it may not be like that. A big part of being a country artist is making songs that are relatable no matter who the audience is, age wise and stuff. Taylor doesn't really have that, I believe. She isn't relatable in anyway.
whalenmsc2014

Pro

Taylor does write about love most of the time, but as I said before she is a young women herself going through many different relationships and feelings that she is able to pour out into her songs. This also appeals to most of her fans since they are young girls/women who can relate to this type of music. As for country music, many other country artists write about love as well. For example, Luke Bryan's "I Don't Want This Night To End" and Blake Shelton's duet with Danielle Bradbury "Timber I'm Falling In Love. " I also think that the concept of love is a popular topic to sing about these days since most fans can relate to it.
desrochersmsc14

Con

Taylor DOES write about love all the time. There is not one song that you can look at that does not describe love or being in love. The only thing she pours out into her songs are all of her failed relationships. Yes the concept of love may be popular right now, but it's not going to stay that way forever. There could be a new country superstar that could take over Taylor's spot, I hope. As for other country artists, yes they also write about love, but like I said before, their songs are not all about love. Lets look at Carrie again. One of my all time favorite songs of hers is from her last album "Blown Away," and it's called "Nobody's Ever Told You," This song is about giving someone confidence in themselves and telling what no one has ever told them before that they are beautiful. "I thought of, you know, you need to know what nobody ever told you. And I'm thinking about what that meant, and, you know, picturing a little girl who just needs to be told she's beautiful. And we all, as women, we've all been there and we're constantly there and having someone tell you you're beautiful can just change you're mood, change you're day, change you're outlook, and a loose way, change you're life. If you think about a girl that's constantly told like oh my gosh you're such a beautiful person inside and out, like it can change her outlook on herself, the way she feels about herself, and that can change her entire life." (all said by Carrie herself about the song, "Nobody Ever Told You) That right there, is what REAL country music artists write about. That's what determines whether someone is country or not. That's what people look for and want to hear when they listen to true country artists. And that is also why she is my idol.
whalenmsc2014

Pro

Yes Carrie does write about confidence in the song "Nobody Ever Told You," but thats not all she writes about within her songs along with other country artists. Taylor also writes about confidence in her songs as well, which is why many people enjoy her songs as well as Carrie's songs. Also not all country music artists write about confidence and love as well..... some write about their life experiences and tractors...... Taylor's songs can go under the life experiences category.
desrochersmsc14

Con

Taylor does not write about confidence in any of her songs. Like I said before, all of her songs are about love and ONLY love. I have come to the conclusion that people don't enjoy for the confidence. The country artists that write about tractors are guys, not females. If you combined everyone in country music and every single one of their songs, they have more songs about confidence and real life situations than Taylor has awards.
whalenmsc2014

Pro

Taylor is considered a country music artist...... but she has put a twist on the genre in the past years. Not only does she incorporate country themes and background music into her songs, but she also mixes them with pop lyrics and music sometimes as well creating her own type of country genre. As for all of her songs being based on love and failed relationships she seems to have a passion to write about that topic and it may be a way for her to convey her thoughts and feelings, just like many other country artists do through their music. Country music has grown a lot over the years and maybe Taylor's creative take on country/pop music will become its own genre someday, but as for now America considers her to be a country music artist along with Carrie Underwood and other famous country singers.
desrochersmsc14

Con

Tonight on the AMA's it proved that Taylor truly isn't a country artist. She won "Country Album of The Year" over Luke Bryan and Florida Georgia Line and also won "Country Female Artist of The Year" and beat our CARRIE and Miranda Lambert. She didn't deserve either of these awards because she isn't country. Plus, her album was nominated for "Pop/Rock Album of the Year." You're album can't be nominated twice for the same thing in two different categories. It does not work that way. Carrie obviously is a way better singer, songwriter, and is what TRUE country music is. Taylor, no. She embarrasses country music.
Posted by thomsonmsc2014 3 years ago
thomsonmsc2014
I think Taylor Swift began as a country artist but started to shift to a pop artist. Her old songs had a country sound to it, done by the country-style instruments used. Now, she has merged to a pop sound with pop-style instruments. Carrie Underwood has continued to be a country artist.
Posted by rant-lover 3 years ago
rant-lover
Personally, I think Taylor has back stabbed country music.