Liberals
Texas14

Is Texas The Best State?

Texas14

Liberals

Con

I don't know if you think Texas is the best state, but, no it isn't.
Texas14

Pro

I believe that Texas is the Union's greatest state and gladly accept this debate.
Liberals

Con

"Texas, The Big Bad Bastard Of The South." -Gawker.com

Texas: Sure, it's okay. It has its moments. I'm not saying it's the worst, but, it isn't the best either.

I recentley took a school trip to Texas. We drove the long 3 hours from Houston to Corpus Christi to spend the night on the USS Lexington. (Which was awesome, btw.) then we went to the Johnson space center. It was pretty cool. Even though I have only been in Texas for 72 hours and only seen two major cities in Texas, I think maybe it's enough to tell from personal experience. And from research and pictures I've seen, I think I have enough evidence to make a case.

Exhibit A: Personal Experience
Like I said we took a charter bus from Walter P. Hobby airport in Houston to the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi.

Houston: Houston was exactly what I expected. A sketchy south-central LA of the south. (FYI, I would rather live In Houston than LA) you had some sketchy people along the streets, roads that desperately needed paving, and every single small business had the word "Texas" somewhere in the name.

In Between: It was funny: instead of the normal fading from a bustling city to suburbs to kinda suburbs to nothing, it literally went from bustling city to nothing. We drove through som small towns like Wharton, Sugar Land, Victoria, etc. they were okay. But one really caught my eye. Refugio, Texas is literally the worst ugliest most run down town I have ever seen.

Corpus Christi: They might as well name it Miami, Texas. North beach was essentially Miami beach, a beach haven with plenty of resturants and souvenir shops. And as soon as you cross the harbor bridge, it all becomes the sleazy neighborhoods of west Miami. I mean all 300 square miles. It's sad.

Research: Dallas just looks ugly. And west Texas just looks like the middle of Nevada, which sucks. Texarkana looks terrible, and yeah. And Gawker.com did a ranking of all of the 50 states (50 being best), and Texas got number 13. It gives a pretty accurate description.

Conclusion: Texas is sophisticated. On the pro side, it's sophisticated, with a wide variety of people. There's San Antonio, some small town charm, Dallas having the largest arts district in the country, and stuff. On the bad side, George W. bush, 50% white trash (don't worry, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina have a 99.99999999% rate) West Texas, Small town evilness, Conservatism, and to damn big of an ego.
Texas14

Pro

I find several things wrong with my opponent's arguments. First, I will attack their claims, then I will go on to support my own.

My opponent's arguments state that they have only been in Texas for seventy two hours, they persist in saying how bad it is. I have volunteered at the hospital, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to be a surgeon. My point is that because my opponent has spent so little time in Texas and seen so little of it, that they do not understand it. My opponent's description of Houston is interesting. He describes a section of it that I have been to myself, and it is accurate to his description. However, he just described a small part of Houston, which does not sum up the city as a whole. Houston, accurately, is a knowledgeable, beautiful, and sophisticate city that thrives in law studies and medicine. Houston arguably has the best medical center of any city in America. if my opponent doesn't believe me, please click on the links below.
http://upload.wikimedia.org...
http://www.houaptloca.com...
http://health.usnews.com...

My opponent described Corpus Christi, Texas as "sleazy", but it clearly isn't. The white sand beaches there are beautiful. They have many tourist attractions that even my opponent claimed to be fond of, such as the U.S.S. Lexington. Other attractions include the Texas State Aquarium, the South Texas Botanical Gardens, and the art museums of South Texas just to name a few. Clearly, Corpus Christi isn't so bad after all.
http://visitcorpuschristitx.org...

My opponent stated that Dallas looks ugly, yet I strongly disagree, and my opponent has yet to show why they think that. The state ranking done by gawker.com that my opponent cited ranked Texas number thirteen. I would like my opponent to state the top two or three states on the list. This could reveal the bias of that site to the voters who deserve to know. Most, if not all of my opponent's arguments are extremely biased and opinionated. I ask you, the voters, do you agree that the debater that can provide the most facts, not opinions should win the debate. The answer should be a resounding yes. i will now respond with my own contentions.

Contention 1: Texas has a truly great history.

Spanish Conquistadors first got to now Texas in 1519. In 1690, Spain officially purchased the territory, and it remained that way until 1821. In 1821, Mexico got its independence from Spain and kept the territory. However, the people living in that territory either wanted to join the United States, or become their own nation. In 1832, Stephen F. Austin, or the Father of Texas was arrested by the Mexican government and spent time in prison for treason. The Texas revolution in 1835 included the Battle of the Alamo, in which Texas was defeated, and all of the prisoners taken by Mexico were killed. Texas did go on to win the war, thus gaining their independence in 1836. Texas is the only state in the union to have once been its own country. From 1836-1845, the Republic of Texas held on. In 1845, they became a state in the union. In 1860, South Carolina seceded from the union and ten other southern states followed, including Texas in 1861. This was known as the Civil War, or the War of Northern Aggression. Because this is surely controversial to the voters whether this was a good thing, is should point out that support for the Confederacy was weaker in Texas than in any other southern state. After the civil war was won by the Union, Texas rejoined the United States in 1876. Since then, the state has suffered, yet thrived in the tough times of the Great Depression and both world wars. In a sense, Texas represents both the bravery and resilience that is the United States.
http://www.history.com...
http://texashistory.com...

I will adress my second contention in the next round. I look forward to my opponent's arguments.
Liberals

Con

Liberals forfeited this round.
Texas14

Pro

I extend. Vote pro.
Posted by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
WAY to broad.

There needs to be a more specific resolution.

Best in regards to economy, government, people? When you say "best" its just an opinion. . .Therefore no one can win this debate
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
16kadams
LiberalsTexas14Tied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LiberalsTexas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Theunkown 2 years ago
Theunkown
LiberalsTexas14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.