Fortifier22
MinesomeMC

Is "The Force Awakens" A Bad Star Wars Movie?

MinesomeMC has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

Fortifier22

Pro

The primary element which has made Star Wars the most successful franchise of all time is the fact that it was so original and different yet so likable and relatable at the same time.

With the new Star Wars movie, nothing at all is original except for the updated special effects and new actors. Story-wise, I can spoil the entire film with two words; EPISODE FOUR.

This is made even worse by the fact that Disney deliberately advertised this movie to be an original sequel that would be a continuation of the Star Wars Saga, NOT a remake to celebrate the glory days of the franchise.

In addition to this, the way the film is set-up makes it obvious that Disney is desperate to not offend anyone. A sissy black male and reverse-damsel-in-distress female as leads? Really?

This movie relies on nostalgia-blinding Star Wars fans to make its money and secure yet another cinematic universe to make more money. They took one of the most original works of all time and made it a recycled mess.
MinesomeMC

Con

You make some pretty good point, but the movie was a good movie!

Here is why from my source http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

1. You wouldn"t watch the seventh film in a seven-film series without first watching its six predecessors, would you?

Or critique such a film via complaints that watching those six predecessors would have eliminated? Of course not. And yet that"s what so many reviewers criticizing The Force Awakens have done.

4. Finn is the character Star Wars fans have waited a lifetime for.

Never before has a franchise as lucrative as Star Wars provided such robust fan service as is epitomized by the character of Finn. In the cult-classic Clerks, Randal Graves (Jeff Anderson) opines that the Rebels killed thousands of innocents when they destroyed the second Death Star in Return of the Jedi. His reasoning is that, because the second Death Star wasn"t completed when it was.. look at the link for more!
Fortifier22

Pro

It is true that you cannot fully enjoy the seventh film without watching the previous films, but that is because of the fan service which the creators cram into the film instead of anything original.

Secondly I would most certainly define Ray as a "Mary Sue" character because she is literally able to accomplish anything. Not once does she struggle throughout the entire story or make a single mistake.

I will give you the fact that Ren is a more developed character than Vader, but his temper tantrums and complete miscasting ruin that.

And sure Finn is one of the few characters who went from bad to good, but we do not get a rational explanation as to why. He literally does it for the sake of the plot.

And there sure as heck were a lot of plot holes in the movie that should have been explained! Even the writers subtly admit this,

Han: Where did you get Luke's ligthsaber?
Maz: A good question. For another time.

Like you couldn't explain any of that in the 2 hours the movie has?
Posted by EthanTheEEL 4 days ago
EthanTheEEL
@ The Shaun You are correct, but the voting style is not by that, its whoever has a better argument, and presents a better picture.
Posted by TheShaun 2 weeks ago
TheShaun
Good and bad are subjective. There is no correct answer.
Posted by vi_spex 2 weeks ago
vi_spex
just, day dreaming+survival=star wars
Posted by Plasmawipes 2 weeks ago
Plasmawipes
I can't debate this because I am leaning on your side. I seen that movie and I hated it. Now they have a new one coming out called; 'Rogue One" that looks like garbage as well. I don't know what the hell George Lucas was thinking. He is the only one capable of making the Star Wars movies.
Posted by Capitalistslave 2 weeks ago
Capitalistslave
I personally liked the movie.