Is There A Biblical Prohibition Against Poligamy

2 Samuel 12:8 "I gave you your master's wives, the daughters of Israel and the daughters of Judah..."
There will no doubt be many who will argue that polygamy is a sin however you just read the fact that the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob gave polygamy to David. David was a man after God's own heart.
People who would argue that God made Adam and Eve are not wrong but we must remember, this was a perfect union. When sin entered into the picture so did polygamy. No is was not God's perfect plan for mankind but neither was sin.
You just heard the God of the universe state He gave David polygamy, please whomever is willing to debate against this fact, please do!

Hello and yes, I accept your challenge.

Yes, there is a biblical prohibition against polygamy, but under certain terms. Polygamy was considered wrongful when men took on wives (specifically, when David and Solomon married girls from "heathen nations" not given to them by Nathan the Prophet) I don't understand your connection between sin and polygamy, it doesn't really make any sense. God doesn't make mistakes, how is allowing Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, David and Solomon among others to marry multiple wives a sin?

You state there is in fact a prohibition on polygamy, please give the verse(s) that you cite to back this claim up. I know the Bible well and know of no such verse(s) however I can admit when I am wrong. I look forward to seeing the verse(s) you use to prove there is in fact a prohibition against this practice.
I have given what I believe is proof of God actually giving this practice to David. Many use the verse where the Bible says that kings should not multiply wives (Deut 17:17) as they say this proves God is against the practice of polygamy however the verse I used to start this debate is enough to show even kings can have multiple wives they are just forbidden to "Multiply" wives. This, as we se in the verse used at the beginning, is God giving many wives to David.
I am looking forward to a great debate.

I think, in Deut. 17:17, God meant something along the lines of "Don't take so many wives that you become prideful, as it happens with excessive silver and gold" However, in 1 Cor. 7:2, It states "But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband." I believe God does in fact give nations polygamy but only when and if they are being righteous, its not an unconditional "Marry whoever you want whenever you want." It was important back then to keep the Gospel lineage passing down to further generations, so if the wives/ mothers of those generations were not teaching her children the word of God, it could be detrimental to their existence.
So, in essence, I'm less debating you, and mainly qualifying your argument with some conditions tacked on the the end. I'm sorry if that's not what you were looking for^^

I am happy to debate this and for the record am glad you brought up the Bible passage from Cor. If one looks at the Greek you will see there is NO "Own" in "Own Wife". The only time 'Own' is ever used is in 1 Tim when the Bible commands Bishops to have only 'One wife' however, the word used in this instance is "Mia" meaning the first. When Christ arose He arose on the "Mia" day of the week. The Mia referred to in Timothy means first.
No where is Scripture is man commanded to have only one wife, on the contrary only Bishops. Women, on the other hand, are in fact commanded to have only "One husband". This is plainly stated in the Greek.
So it there inequality with God? I quote Romans, " Can the clay say to the Potter, "Why have you made me thus?"

Please note: No where is Scripture do you find the command to have one wife for Christians.
Looking forward to your rebuttal.

I have not minced words in indicating that polygamy is scriptural while not advocated for everyone and their dog. The bible advocates the practice for the time and for the time only, and for certain people only. This argument is exhaustive and next time should have had a more debatable topic, but its moot now.. I tried my best.
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago

I meant no disrespect, I just wanted to keep this debate with Scripture being the bottom line.
Thank you for the debate. We will leave it to the voters and may the best person win.

My hat is off to you for accepting the challenge.

God bless,
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago

Please back up these statements with verses. This was clearly articulated in the challenge.
I, as you state, may very well be wrong however I have put extensive study into this subject and many more.
I have taken the verse you listed and shown in the Greek the misinterpretation. The Bible does not in fact ever state that this is not allowed do to 'horniness'. On the contrary, if the God of Creation gave this to one of His own, it is a loosing battle to try to state the opposite!
Posted by EdraAllenPoe 2 years ago
There really isn't a winning argument for pro, I agree, but the Bible also doesn't state that Polygamy is always okay. It's really not a sin unless someone is doing it just because they're horny.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Posted by PlainTruth 2 years ago
I am looking for just the Bible view to debate this.
Growing up in a Christian home I heard many things like polygamy is a sin and this is no so reflected in the Bible.
I am looking for a Christian who believes polygamy is a sin (I tried to change the title and correct the spelling but it wouldn't let me).
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Are we debating only Christian doctrine like the Bible (OT/NT) or can we include Mormon doctrine which would include two additional books or "parts" to the usual Christian Bible?
Posted by Mhykiel 2 years ago
It does not strictly deny it. But I think it does have much to say about this. For one there is no Hebrew word for wife. The term is used in translations when it says a man's woman, or in similar situations. This also is God saying how all of Saul's was given to David. Some have made a case that the preceding word for house is a word of many uses, a good portion of time referring to family. If this were so it would Master's daughters. but the word is females or women. Wife is a translation of context.

But there are many times when the bible refers to marriage it is one woman joined with one man to make one flesh. Which if this was a plural arrangement would make many other statements about marriage difficult to implement. Plus when God was referring to Abraham's children he only calls Sarah his wife.
Posted by Martley 2 years ago
I feel you have saddled pro with a loosing debate. There obviously is no "prohibition" of polygamy in the bible. "Prohibition" is the forbidding by law or decree. The whole reason why there is a debate about polygamy in this country is because there is not such clear cut biblical position for or against. You have created an inherent fallacy in the topic of your debate, the fallacy of a false dichotomy. You are forcing pro to take a black and white position, an extreme opposition. However, you are not holding yourself to this same dichotomy, you merely have to prove polygamy is not prohibited in the bible... That's a pretty easy position to assign yourself.

To even this playing field you should:

A. Since your forcing Pro to argue the extreme dichotomy of prohibition of polygamy, you should take the equally extreme dichotomy that the bible Mandates polygamy.

B. A more realistic option is too have a debate about the bibles differing positions on polygamy and monogamy and have a sincere battle of logic and evidence to support each claim.... Now that would be a good debate. Too bad yours is not that debate!
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically conceded. From the evidence in this debate, there is no biblical prohibition against polygamy, although there are conditions in which it might not be acceptable. Arguments therefore to Con. All other categories seemed equal enough. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.