PowerPikachu21
brontoraptor

Is Tic-Tac-Toe fair?

PowerPikachu21 has forfeited round #3.
Started: 6/29/2016 Category: Games

PowerPikachu21

Con

Tic-Tac-Toe is a game we all played in our childhoods. Some adults probably still play it. However, while it is simplistic, I find it a bit unfair.

Definitions:

Fair: Giving each person a good chance to win.

Rules:

1. No trolling, kritiks, semantics, etc.
2. Forfeiting even 1 round is an instant loss. Make sure you are willing to complete the entire debate.
3. The Burden of Proof is shared. I must show that Tic-Tac-Toe is unfair, and Pro must show why it is fair.

Anyone is free to accept. With this, who will?
brontoraptor

Pro

Tic Tac Toe is fair

Fair:

adjective, fairer, fairest.
1.
free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice:
a fair decision; a fair judge.
2.
legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules:
a fair fight

http://www.dictionary.com...

*

1)There is nothing unfair about tic-tac-toe. With best play, every game is a draw.

And if you somehow thought individual games were somehow unfair by some mathematical or probabelistic advantage to going first, you would simply alternate who goes first an equal amount of times.

2)Tic-tac-toe is also fair in that no one makes you play the game. You choose to play the game on your own free will.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I thank brontoraptor for accepting this debate. Let's get into my arguments.

Argument:

Point 1; Lack of winners

This is my main argument. Assuming both players are good at the game, no one will ever win. X most likely go in the center, O in the corner, then eventually a tie. Practically every time. It's not fair to play if you're just going to tie all of the time. Perhaps if you were able to win against another skilled player, it would be nice. But there's no point in playing if you'll just tie.

Rebuttal:

Definition:

My opponent first pulls out a definition, but he never actually challenges my own definition. By my chosen definition, no one has a good chance of winning, therefore it isn't fair. Pro must give a reason why his definition is superior.

Either way, Pro's definitions still work in my favor. "free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice:" Tic-Tac-Toe is not free from bias, or injustice, since no one has a good chance of winning.

"legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules:" Well, some people know that it's impossible to actually win at tic-tac-toe, so they may cheat. BUt even without cheating, it's still unfair.

Pro's Point 1;

"With best play, every game is a draw." Exactly. It's not fair if every game will be a draw. There is no real "champion" in Tic Tac Toe. A ton of people probably know what moves will lead to a tie. Never can a person win against me, or any good player. Only a tie is possible with 2 skilled players.

Pro's Point 2;

"Tic-tac-toe is also fair in that no one makes you play the game." Well, true. But this argument doesn't really tie into whether or not the game is unfair. At most, this argument suggests the other person is unfair by forcing you to play a game.

Closing thoughts:

Really, this comes down to what is "fair". Does tying all the time count as unfair? It's unfair since you can never win at the game. No player has the advantage, only the ability to tie the game.
brontoraptor

Pro

Pikachu-
Lack of winners

"This is my main argument. Assuming both players are good at the game, no one will ever win. X most likely go in the center, O in the corner, then eventually a tie. Practically every time. It's not fair to play if you're just going to tie all of the time. Perhaps if you were able to win against another skilled player, it would be nice. But there's no point in playing if you'll just tie."

Rebuttal-

Having ties does not make it unfair. A tie is equal. Equal is fair.

*

Pikachu-
"By my chosen definition, no one has a good chance of winning, therefore it isn't fair."

Rebuttal-
Mathematically, both parties have an equal chance of winning or not winning, thus it is fair. A tie doesn't make it unfair. Boring? Maybe. But unfair? No.

*

Pikachu-
"Tic-Tac-Toe is not free from bias, or injustice, since no one has a good chance of winning."

Who is biased in tic-tac-toe? The X's or the O's?

What is unjust in tic-tac-toe? The results turn out according to your moves.

*

Pikachu-
"Only a tie is possible with 2 skilled players."

Neither player had to play. They chose to play knowing this was possible. It's not tic-tac-toe's fault that the 2 skilled players chose to play knowing it would be a tie. If they continue to play game after game, going tie after tie, this would be mindless, but not the game's fault. You also have the option of tweaking the rules, adding spaces, etc to change the entertainment value of tic-tac-toe,. Such as? Quantum tic-tac-toe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

https://www.quora.com...

http://www.math.cornell.edu...
Posted by PowerPikachu21 8 months ago
PowerPikachu21
Did the forfeit glitch return? It's been like this for 24 hours now!
Posted by TheSideSpectator 8 months ago
TheSideSpectator
Interesting indeed.
Posted by kasmic 8 months ago
kasmic
Strange definition of fair. If both players have played more than... 1 game, nobody should ever win.
Posted by TheWorldIsComplicated 8 months ago
TheWorldIsComplicated
Interesting, never would have thought about it. I guess luck is fair and unfair...