Digeimasterchef
TheRussian

Is Time Travel possible ?

Started: 5/9/2014 Category: Places-Travel

Digeimasterchef

Pro

I do think that time travel is more than probable. With the right people and equipment we might even be able to do so in maybe this exact century . I would like to debate about this.
TheRussian

Con

I accept this fun debate. My argument mainly relies on the fact (which I will try to prove) that time does not exist.
Also, are we talking about moving a living human being from the present to future/past?
Digeimasterchef

Pro

Indeed, I look forward on debating with you I'll go on ahead and start my statements.

From my own research I have concluded that moving an " object " with today's technology is practically impossible.
Doing so would need something like a black hole, or going trough the speed of light, which our bodies cannot endure , the pressure would be completely extreme and would technically rip our bodies to nothingness. We would be literally pulverized.

If time travel was to be done to the past , it would need something like a black hole, and something small enough to fit trough that black hole. With today's technology we can create black holes 1 millionth of the size of a proton. There fore, the only thing that can go trough said black hole would be something like a wave. I'm a very big anime fan and watched an anime called " Steins;Gate" in which they send text messages to the past.

With this said, we can conclude that physical time travel is not possible.

Now for my statements with the debate it's self.

According to the theory of Special Relativity that has build of from Einstein's theory of Relativity. Space and time are nothing but the same, they both run the same tract such as tiles, in each tile space expands or contracts, matter is created, diffused, or destroyed and time runs trough it as a single flat line. Think of it as a graph. X would be time while Y would be space.
If anyone would be able to bend space and time a hole could be made to enter the so called "multiverse" or "limbo" , doing this we would be able to move trough this space with ease and go to each individual tile. IF we send a text message to a cell phone such as in "Steins;Gate" we would need exact coordinates of this phone, and what better coordinates than to use the world's Radio Towers. For example : Let's say I fail a test and I currently know all the answers, If I were to create a Kerr black hole or a worm hole that can rip space and time to enter limbo, I could use my mom's cell phone to send a text message to the me 6 hours ago, with the answers of such test . This would prove the " grandfather paradox" completely wrong, since when this is done, I would have gotten that message and it would have been engraved as a part of history in my mind as if my mom would have given me the answers for the test. However I could create a paradox, changing that would make me pass the test which wouldn't give me the opportunity to use the Kerr black hole to send a message trough time. Unless I was aware I could send a message trough time, or if I could remember my present ( some how )

This said, I would have pretty much erased the present for a different outcome of me never sending that message to my self , making me pass the test and go to a whole different outcome of the future.

That would conclude my statements for now, I'm looking forward for your counter attack.
TheRussian

Con

"With this said, we can conclude that physical time travel is not possible."
I apologize if I am misunderstanding, but doesn't that statement confirm that time travel is not possible, therefore supporting my argument?

"This would prove the " grandfather paradox" completely wrong,"
It does not. Even if you went back in time, hired someone else to kill your grandfather, therefore "engraving" the death into history as being done by someone else, that does not change the fact that your grandfather is dead, meaning you could not be alive. I understand my opponent's case, but it does not disprove the "grandfather paradox".

One of the reasons that time travel is not possible is that time does not exist. It is something that humans have created to help ourselves organize our world. The Earth travels around the Sun, we divide this circumference into 360 degrees, meaning that every time the Earth travels a degree, a certain distance around the Sun, we call that a day. Since the Earth's travel around the Sun is not a perfect circle, but an ellipse, we get 365 days in a year instead of a perfect 360. The Earth rotates on its axis 360 degrees, we divide 360 by 24 (hours a day) and get 15. This means that every time the Earth rotates 15 degrees, we call that an hour. From there, we just keep dividing. Time does not exist, we simply created this measurement based on astronomical events and their regular occurrence. You cannot "travel" in something that does not exist.

I would like to note that in the first paragraph of my opponent's argument, he virtually admits that physical time travel is not possible.
Digeimasterchef

Pro

Digeimasterchef forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

I have nothing to refute.
Digeimasterchef

Pro

Digeimasterchef forfeited this round.
TheRussian

Con

Once again, I have nothing to refute.
Digeimasterchef

Pro

First I would like to apologize, I was not aware you answered and I stayed silent for a very large amount of time.

First of all I would like to state that I never said physical travel to be impossible, I did say though that it was impossible with our current technology.
Second of all time does exist, it is also known as the fourth dimension, just as the Universe expands time goes by, time is just a name used to "clarify" better said to name the 4th dimension. If there is a dimension of only 1 side such as a street, and a dimension where energy can travel such as left and right , and if there is a dimension where I can move about freely such as space, there has to be a dimension to understand how to move on our were abouts. This was also proven in the theory of relativity and the theory of Special relativity; which then again was also proven "true" or "correct" by a various amount of brilliant minds.
Third of all, if I hired someone to kill my grandfather he would die, making me never been born, with that said we can conclude that I changed history. You said it your self, that confused me a little bit too, your statement its self proves the grandfather paradox wrong.

Now for proving Time travel to be possible.

If I were to open a black hole, and send my mind to the previous me 2 days ago, I would have the same knowledge of those whole two days two days ago. Let's say I got robbed behind an alley, if I were to send my mind 2 days back I would know that I would get robbed. This meaning that I could evade that, and create a whole different future. Wouldn't that be considered time travel?
Thought and feelings are nothing more than electrical codes and chemical reactions inside of our brain.If I were to use a machine to sense such electrical charges, change them into a code and make them into a radio wave it is theoretically possible that I could travel trough time without really even moving my body. I'm sure it would feel something like waking up into another outcome of the future.

There are places such as a black hole where time does not exist. Theoretically speaking, if a black hole is a hoe trough space and time, time is not real nor is it a dimension. If I entered a black hole, what would be a second for me could be: .2 nano seconds, could be 4 years, 8 years? Heck, maybe even an eternity. If there was an alien species that had no knowledge of time and space, they would still remember their past, they would know how to move because there is SpaceTime , if time does not exist how do we measure how long will it take me to go to walmart ? If time does note exist, how come future past and present exist? Time is just another word for 4th dimension.

If time did not exist, you would know your future .

One more thing, all of that diving time and stuff does not count, all you did was spout units that determine the Fourth Dimension; Such as: Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Years etc....
TheRussian

Con

"First of all I would like to state that I never said physical travel to be impossible, I did say though that it was impossible with our current technology."
Physical time travel is impossible, with or without our technology. Many theories revolve around making objects move faster than the speed of light to make them time travel. No element on the planet can survive such speeds and would be torn to shreds. Even then, this relies on the fact that light has not reached the sensor yet, so technically, the effect has not occurred because a sensor (eye or camera) has not received the light yet. This is invalid because even though the sensor has not been "notified" of the event, the event has still occurred.

"This was also proven in the theory of relativity and the theory of Special relativity; which then again was also proven "true" or "correct" by a various amount of brilliant minds."
This is a very vague claim and my opponent did not provide a single "brilliant mind" that proved the theory true. In fact, there are many inconsistencies in the theory. For example, Einstein borrows the math of Lorentz and Poincare, allowing him to modify length and time measurement to "force" the speed of light to be constant for all observers.
http://www.infinite-energy.com...

"Third of all, if I hired someone to kill my grandfather he would die, making me never been born, with that said we can conclude that I changed history. You said it your self, that confused me a little bit too, your statement its self proves the grandfather paradox wrong."
Forgive me for the confusing sentence, but I do not see how it proves the grandfather paradox wrong. If you went back and had your grandfather killed, you wouldn't be born to have gone back to kill him, meaning you would have been born and so on. The cycle is endless and it means that time travel is not possible because it is completely illogical.

"If I were to open a black hole, and send my mind to the previous me 2 days ago, I would have the same knowledge of those whole two days two days ago."
There is no way to send your mind back. As mentioned, matter would be shredded during this process. You cannot send thoughts.

"Thought and feelings are nothing more than electrical codes and chemical reactions inside of our brain.If I were to use a machine to sense such electrical charges, change them into a code and make them into a radio wave it is theoretically possible that I could travel trough time without really even moving my body. I'm sure it would feel something like waking up into another outcome of the future."
Once again, my opponent says "if I was able to". My opponent does not explain how time travel could actually be "performed", he simply says that IF it were possible, then he would be able to do this and that.

"There are places such as a black hole where time does not exist. Theoretically speaking, if a black hole is a hoe trough space and time, time is not real nor is it a dimension. If I entered a black hole, what would be a second for me could be: .2 nano seconds, could be 4 years, 8 years? Heck, maybe even an eternity."
I do not see why there would be no time in black holes. If there is no time in a black hole, why would there be time in other places like on Earth? This is illogical. A black hole is not a "hole through space and time", a black hole is a dead star that is extremely dense and therefore, its gravitational pull is extremely strong, "sucking" in everything around it. A black hole is not actually a hole, it is just a star with a strong gravitational pull that directs all matter within its area towards itself.

"if time does not exist how do we measure how long will it take me to go to walmart ? If time does note exist, how come future past and present exist?"
1. During your journey to Walmart, the clock that humans made ticked 60 times at regular intervals. We say it took you a minute to get to Walmart. In reality, nothing was used/taken/expended for you to go to Walmart. Every second of your journey was not "engraved" in some fabric of time so that you could return to it.
2. There is no future, past or present. We simply need those terms to help us describe what is happening in our world.

"If time did not exist, you would know your future"
My opponent does not expand on this and I do not see why I would know my future. In fact, there would be no "future", so how could I know it? Why would I know it?

"One more thing, all of that diving time and stuff does not count, all you did was spout units that determine the Fourth Dimension; Such as: Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Days, Years etc...."
I used that to explain that "time" is simply humans using regularly occurring events to keep track of things. A year is too much, so we divide it into smaller, regularly-occurring intervals.

I would like to note that it seems like my opponent tries to bring up "smart sounding" terms such as "black holes, Einstein's theory, fourth dimension etc." to try to buff up his argument. I do not understand why my opponent repeatedly brings up black holes, they are irrelevant. My opponent makes it sound like black holes are another world, where time does not exist and you can "travel" in time. This is a lack of research, and using the benefit of the doubt. Many people do not know much about black holes and think of them as very mysterious with unusual capabilities, and my opponent tries to exploit this by using black holes as an explanation for everything.

My opponent fails to show how time travel is possible. He uses "if" very often, "if I could send a message" "if I could create a black hole". He doesn't actually show or explain how this "if" would occur and why it would be possible. If I claim that I can lift a mountain, and then say "well, if I could lift it then..." that does not explain or show how I could possibly lift a mountain. My opponent seems to focus on the "after-effect" of time travel, assuming that it is possible and giving examples of what he could do if it WAS possible. He never actually explains how you could travel through time.

In fact, this entire debate, I have had virtually no theories or ideas to refute because my opponent never explains how/why time travel would be possible.

In conclusion, I believe that time travel is impossible because:
1. Time does not exist as we think of it, it is not a continuous "fabric" that events are engraved into and you can return to them.
2. Even if something was made to go faster than light, or go through a black hole, this "something" would be completely destroyed.
3. The grandfather paradox shows how time travel is illogical.
4. My opponent has given me no reason to believe that time travel is possible.

Thank you for the debate.
Posted by MB17 2 years ago
MB17
Actually, only time travel to the future is possible due to one thing:

1) If you were to go back in time before your parents were born and you killed your grandfather, you would not have been born and Therefore would have not have time traveled in the first place. This problem is called "The Grandfather Paradox".

You couldn't use a time machine as if you went back in time before the time machine was invented the time machine would not exist, or you would possibly be stuck in that time living until time progressed far enough to when you lived before you time traveled.

Some scientists say that parallel universes can solve these paradoxes, although going into a parallel universe is not technically time travel as you never move through time, only to a different universe.

Good luck to both of you though!