17djones
utahjoker

Is Trump insane?

utahjoker has forfeited round #3.

17djones

Con

Quick Note: I made this debate a few days ago and it was accepted, but the person who accepted it never entered their argument. So now I have to make it again. Only accept if you're actually going to debate.

I don't see how Trump is insane. He's basically doing what he said he would do while not being politically correct like everyone in DC is. I invite my opponent to try to "enlighten" me.

RULES:
1. Don't waste each other's time if you're not going to keep up with the debate
2. Be civil
3. Respect

Structure:
1. Acceptance and Opening
2. Counter
3. Conclusion (keep it short and sweet)

With that, I await my opponent.
utahjoker

Pro

I accept this debate, and I look forward to arguments that will be made.

Since I am taking the position that President Trump is insane, I would like to clarify what I intend to argue. According to the Oxford dictionary there are two main definitions for the word insane. 1. Someone suffering from a mental illness and 2. the informal use used in the United States to define something as 'shocking' or 'outrageous'. Seeing that it is impossible to argue that Donald Trump has a mental illness without the debate becoming distasteful; I shall argue that Donald Trump makes outrageous and shocking comments that come across as insane thus making Trump insane.

In an September 2017 poll 56% of those surveyed claimed that they do not believe Donald Trump is fit to be President with 69% of people surveyed desiring for Trump to stop tweeting. The social media interactions that Trump has with the American people are conveyed as outrageous and shocking. Two examples of shocking or outrageous comments made by the current President are as follows:
23 Sep 2017 "Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!"
24 Sep 2017 "If NFL fans refuse to go to games until players stop disrespecting our Flag & Country, you will see change take place fast. Fire or suspend!"

Both tweets are insane coming from the President. With the first tweet implying Nuclear war, while simultaneously calling the leader of another nation as "Little Rocket Man" this comment is shocking to say the least. The second tweet is also quite shocking with the President calling for the suspension or termination of NFL players that refuse to stand for the Flag it is unlike any President to chime in on such an occasion thus it is shocking. These tweets along with others are definitely outrageous, and shocking.

I look forward to counterarguments.

sources:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com...
https://www.vox.com...
https://www.newsday.com...
17djones

Con

Thank you for accepting. I would like to first point out that just because Donald Trump says something that is "outrageous" does not note mental illness. That's just him saying something that the people find politically incorrect. As for the reference to his tweets, the first one does not imply that he wants nuclear war. It may sound like it, but that doesn't prove anything, nor does it prove his mental state. Also, calling for NFL players to be suspended or fired does not constitute mental illness. It's him giving his opinion on the situation. It does not mean he is unfit to serve as president. In regards to your sources, your second one, Vox, is known to be biased towards President Trump, and showing his tweets over the past few months (Newsday) does not constitute mental illness. Just because someone doesn't like what he has to say on Twitter doesn't mean he's sick. It's wrong to claim that someone is mentally ill over a few tweets. A tweet does not substitute a legitimate psychological or physiological test of the president's mental capability. I'm sorry, but there is nothing in your opening argument to suggest his mental illness.
Here some sources if you would like to look at them:

-https://www.youtube.com...

-http://www.latimes.com...
utahjoker

Pro

I would like to point out that my opponent did not argue the parameters that I set. I made it clear that I do not desire to argue the mental health of the President, but instead focus on whether he makes 'shocking' or 'outrageous' comments that, by the Oxford Dictionary, constitute as being insane.

My opponent also claimed that President Trump does make comments that are Politically incorrect. For something to be politically incorrect it has to go contrary to social norms thus being 'outrageous' or 'shocking' thus being politically incorrect is also being insane.

The tweets that were relayed were not intended to prove mental illness, but to build a case that the President makes 'outrageous' or 'shocking' comments. My opponent did not counter this point.

I would also like my opponent to provide sources showing that Vox is biased against Trump.

Thank you, and I look forward to closing statements.
17djones

Con

The whole basis for the debate was to prove whether or not President Trump was insane, not whether his comments were shocking. And even so, as I stated earlier, a shocking comment does not prove insanity. My opponent must have missed the parameters that I set in this debate, in which they were supposed to prove how the president is mentally unfit. The burden of proof for my opponent was not met. Therefore, in conclusion, I still hold my stance that there is nothing that proves Trump is insane. My opponent also said that saying something politically incorrect is insane, which is false. Christians say things that are politically incorrect, but that doesn't mean they are insane.
As for the source to prove Vox is biased:
-https://www.pastemagazine.com...