gdv6
ILikePie5

Is Trump's Travel Ban racist?

gdv6 has forfeited round #2.

gdv6

Pro

Although Trump is trying to protect our country from terrorist attacks, he's also making America appear as if we discriminate a certain religion. Regarding that we are a country with freedom of religion, it seems hypocritical to pass the Travel Ban. He banned seven countries and they were all Muslim countries which makes it discriminate against them. Although he is trying to protect us from another terrorist attack such as 9/11, he is assuming that all Muslims are terrorist. Overall the Travel Ban is a bad move for our country because it makes us appear racist when we are a country of freedom of religion.
ILikePie5

Con

Good day judges and my felllow opponent.

I will take this round as the acceptance round and for definitions.

My job is to disprove my opponents accusation, that the travel ban is not racist. If even one of my opponent's arguments is true and I fail to refute their claims, I have lost the debate. My opponent has the burden of proof, while I don't as it should be interpreted as the status quo that something isn't racist to begin with

racist: "hatred or intolerance of another race or other races." [1]

[1] http://www.dictionary.com...

Thank You Judges for your time.

My opponent should post sources with his argument in the next round. Disclaimer to my opponent: your argument has no value if it cannot be backed up by evidence in the form of sources.
Posted by Kilk1 9 months ago
Kilk1
Trump's original ban from the primary election seems to go against the 1st Amendment--banning a religion. The reason he wanted to do so is that terrorists tend to be Muslims (though this isn't always the case). However, the modern travel ban doesn't target a common RELIGION of terrorists; it instead targets common NATIONALITIES of terrorists. This sidesteps the whole issue of targeting Muslims, because whether you are Muslim or not is irrelevant.

Also, just because these countries are Muslim-majority doesn't mean Islam is being banned; Muslims from other countries can come to the U.S. and leave as they please. Conversely, non-Muslims from the banned countries CAN'T enter the U.S. So the bottom line is that targeting certain nations because terrorists live in them make since regardless of those nations' religion.