Khadisha
mvega3

Is Unlimited access to digital technology harmful to the holistic development of society?

Khadisha

Con

Be it resolved that UNLIMITED ACCESS to DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY is HARMFUL to the HOLISTIC development of SOCIETY.Personally I am in full denial of this motion!For several reasons of which I am about to share!Firstly,before I commence my argument let me just tell you that unlimited access to digital technology isnt the problem,its man that is the problem!The internet can be used for so many enriching lessons!For example,the soldiers that are miles away from their family!Because of unlimited access to digital technology these soldiers representing our country can skype with their family even if it is a few minutes before they go out to war!They can send a whatsApp message or even a text message! Do you know how grateful that family would be to receive that text message or WhatsApp message? Do you know how grateful they would be to get to see their son/husband/friend minutes or hours before he go out to represent his country?This little thing would mean the world to both the soldiers and their loved ones because not every day is guaranteed!
mvega3

Pro

Thank you for posting this debate Kadisha, I am happy to accept.

I believe that unlimited access to "digital technology," which I am defining as Internet-based technology for the purposes of this debate, would prove harmful to the holistic development of society. "Unlimited" implies that there are no limits whatsoever on who should have access to digital technology. This would run contrary, however, to the social necessity for every right to have limits on its scope. The right to freedom of speech, for example, is limited in that it does not protect imminent lawless action. It makes little sense to declare "access to digital technology" the sole exception to this rule of limitation, as there are obvious cases in which this right can and should be restricted. It makes no sense to restrict soldier's access to their families in the way that Khadisha describes, as that is an example of technology at its most positive. There would be comparatively few upsides, however, to handing out Snapchat handles to newborn infants in the hopes that they will post selfies in the waiting room. Accordingly, I believe that most people would be opposed to extending the right to networked technologies to young children.

Therefore, if one accepts that there are certain limitations that should be implemented on the distribution and use of digital technology, then it follows that the unlimited access to digital technology could be harmful to society as a whole.
Khadisha

Con

Khadisha forfeited this round.
mvega3

Pro

mvega3 forfeited this round.
Khadisha

Con

Khadisha forfeited this round.
mvega3

Pro

mvega3 forfeited this round.
Khadisha

Con

Khadisha forfeited this round.
mvega3

Pro

mvega3 forfeited this round.
Khadisha

Con

Khadisha forfeited this round.
mvega3

Pro

mvega3 forfeited this round.