Grannytron2000
debate_power

Is Violence in Sports Inevitable?

debate_power
Started: 10/5/2014 Category: Sports

Grannytron2000

Pro

"Listen, people love the violence," said R. Todd Jewell, a sports economist at the University of North Texas in Denton. "The NFL is always going to try to make certain that there is an optimal level of violence in the game. If you took away the violence, there would be no football."
"Football is the most popular sport in the United States, and it's popular because of the violence," he added. "People like to watch big dudes smashing into each other."
Since at least the time of ancient Roman gladiator fights and chariot races, sports have incorporated an element of danger, with strong enthusiasm from crowds in response to violence.
debate_power

Con

I accept this challenge. I will be arguing the point that violence in sports in not inevitable. Good luck to my opponent, and my this be a well-mannered and interesting debate!
Grannytron2000

Pro

Grannytron2000 forfeited this round.
debate_power

Con

debate_power forfeited this round.
Grannytron2000

Pro

Grannytron2000 forfeited this round.
debate_power

Con

I will be making the point that violence is not inevitable in all sports, as I mentioned in Round Two. I am assuming that my opponent is making the case that violence in sports in inevitable.

vi"o"lence
G2;vī(ə)ləns
noun
1. Behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
synonyms:brutality, brute force, ferocity, savagery, cruelty, sadism, barbarity, brutishness

2. Strength of emotion or an unpleasant or destructive natural force.
"the violence of her own feelings"
synonyms:intensity, severity, strength, force, vehemence, power, potency, fervency, ferocity, fury, fire

As to the first definition of violence, there are a multitude of sports that do not involve such. Here is a list of five. It is common knowledge that the ones listed involve no malevolent physical behavior.

1. Swimming
2. Golf
3. Tennis
4. Volleyball
5. Baseball

My opponent asserts that

"Since at least the time of ancient Roman gladiator fights and chariot races, sports have incorporated an element of danger, with strong enthusiasm from crowds in response to violence."

None of that statement proves, or even attempts to prove, the inevitability of violence in sports. Quoting a sports economist on a singular sport, American football, does not support the point of inevitability of violence in sports as the field of "American football" cannot equal the larger field of "sports" as "American football" is a division of "sports". Even so, the list above discredits the opinion that violence in sports is inevitable by listing instances in which it IS inevitable. I feel the list above meets the burden of proof that violence in sports is, indeed, not inevitable.

The statement "Since at least the time of ancient Roman gladiator fights and chariot races, sports have incorporated an element of danger, with strong enthusiasm from crowds in response to violence" indicates that since Roman times, sports have incorporated an "element of danger", not violence.

Thanks for the debate.

Definitions: google.com (Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English)
Posted by debate_power 2 years ago
debate_power
Sorry, I was involuntarily away for a week.
Vote Placed by The-Holy-Macrel 2 years ago
The-Holy-Macrel
Grannytron2000debate_powerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Debate power didn't post his arguement until the end. But had the best arguement and sources
Vote Placed by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
Grannytron2000debate_powerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con shows empirical evidence of sports without violence negating the resolution. Arguments to con. Conduct to con for one less forfeit.