Is WWE a sport?

Started: 12/10/2013 Category: Sports

Well let me say firstly this is my first ever debate. I've always found debates intriguing and I figured I'd give it a try. So onto the debate:

Is WWE a sport?

I will be taking the pro side of this and saying yes it is.
First round should be acceptance only.
Rd 2 I will state my case and my opponent will have his rebuttal/arguments and so on for round 3.

(Side note: I read alot of debates on here and am excited to do this. If you accept this challenge please don't forfeit or disappear I'd love the full experience of a debate, thanks)

I accept. Thank you for an intriguing debate. I await your case.

I thank my opponent for accepting my challenge and wish her luck in our debate.

So is WWE (Professional Wrestling) a sport?

Yes it absolutely is. Below is the word sport as defined on dictionary. com:

SPORT [spawrt, spohrt]
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him. [1]

Wrestling is absolutely a 'athletic activity that requires skill AND physical prowess'. Although underrated it is one of the biggest past times. One thing I want to go a little deeper into is the competitive part to it.

One of the biggest statements made by detractors of the WWE is the competitive aspect. It's been said because the matches are pre planned or scripted it takes away the competitiveness nature.

Firstly lets talk about the scripted part. Yes wrestling is scripted however us as fans/viewers have absolutely no idea of the outcome or how the outcome came to be. We might have a idea or even a educated guess but we can never be 100% certain. Just like watching any sport you have favorites and underdogs, a underdog can win at any time but even if a favorite wins you never know how and what the margin of victory is. There is a level of mystery when it comes to the outcome just as there is with the WWE.

Regarding the competitive nature, these men and women are constantly fighting for their position on the roster. They are competing to get storylines and get television time. These are things that aren't shown on television but go on every single day. Look at any sport, if the player doesn't perform he will get benched. It's the same way with WWE if a wrestler is not performing at a high level he will not be involved in any storylines which in turn will lead to less tv time. Wrestling is possibly one of the most competitive sports when it comes to earning and keeping your spot on the roster. There are more and more wrestlers entering WWE every day and only a limited amount of spots and even a less spots available for tv time.

When you see a wrestler win the WWE title (the World Championship) for the first time you often see them extremely emotional even sometimes cry. Obviously they knew they were going to win, so why the emotion? It's what the title means. By winning this title WWE is saying at that point in time you are the very best. With all the competition going on for the #1 spot, you having the title solidifies you are up there. Go to any WWE wrestler and ask them if wrestling is competitive, they'll all tell you yes.

In the WWE, just like other sports, wrestlers get injured all the time. Sometimes minor and sometimes major. Although the match results are predetermined the moves are still very much real. From dislocated fingers to torn muscles to broken bones[2], it all happens in the WWE.

Enclosing I understand that the WWE has theatrics, pre determined outcomes and various storylines but whether it be by definition or anything else no one can deny it's competitiveness in which turn proves its categorization as sports.

I await my opponents rebuttal/arguments. Thank you.

MadisonMichelle forfeited this round.

ChubbyFatz forfeited this round.

MadisonMichelle forfeited this round.
Posted by wateva232 2 years ago
If con did not forfeit sources would've been tied. Bleacher report is not a source :).

Good luck next time.
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 2 years ago
If you want to re-post this, I'll gladly take up the challenge.
Vote Placed by wateva232 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, would've been an interesting debate though.