Rainyi
DrFuzenstein

Is Watching Violence On T.V Bad For You?

Rainyi

Con

You scream while the vampire is cutting the throat of a thingy..

Is watching violence on T.V bad for you ? I say no. Really, isn't too much of everything bad for you? According to recent studies, I found that watching violence on T.V can help with life problems, such as bullying.

Yes, you may think that this can help stop bullying only by bullying the bully. But honestly, and adult would oversee such drama. If used correctly, the knowledge of how to stand up to your bully does come from things such as T.V violence. However, is properly corrected, knowledge on violence can only help your statement fight against your bully. And there you have it, of course, a parent should know what your child is watching, but there aren't necessarily violent T.V shows that raise you kids' self-esteem. There are scary, which is appropriate with such a topic, but also, if understood correctly, can be used by your side rather than against.

Those who think otherwise may post their argument, comment, or thoughts.

That being said... Ta ta!
DrFuzenstein

Pro

I accept your challenge.
This will be my first debate so please correct me where necessary.

The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". I would first like to bring attention to "you". I assume that "you" is referring to any viewer of a violent television program because the word "you" in this context is a generalization for anyone who watches violence on television. While watching violence on T.V. is not likely to adversely affect your physical health, it can, in some cases, instill violence in young, impressionable viewers such as children, teens, and young adults.

You say that watching violence on T.V. can help with some life problems. I think most people would agree that many things in life are not completely one-sided, so there may be some truth to your statement. Violent T.V. shows are aimed at adults who are mature enough to understand the weight of death and violence. You use the life problem example of bullying to demonstrate positive effects of violent television, but bullying usually happens in grade school with children and teens. By this logic, it appears that you are arguing that watching violence on television is good for children and teens.

So is it really "bad" for children to see violence on television? "In the early 1970s, Aletha Huston studied how shows such as Batman and Superman affected preschoolers. Children who watched those relatively innocuous programs for just 30 minutes a day, five days a week, began getting into fights, breaking toys and showing other violent behaviors more often than other children (and more often than the same children had before). Children who watched neutral travelogues became neither more nor less aggressive, and children who watched Mr. Rogers became more likely to help each other, cooperate and share."[1] Of course television isn't the only factor affecting a child's behavior, but it clearly plays a roll.

Let's move on to the news. If you have watched the news lately, you've probably heard about murder investigations, kidnappings, and global terrorist movements. Is watching these news reports "bad" for you? This question is extremely subjective because what doesn't bother you may bother someone else. The news reporter tells about a woman who was raped and killed or about the people being oppressed in Libya. Some people will get depressed over these reports and question the existence of a God while most will accept these facts of today's world and move on thinking "At least it isn't me."It is necessary for people to watch the news to see what is happening in the country. It is necessary that children/teens watch the news to understand what is wrong with the world and form an understanding of right and wrong. But there a vast difference between "News 8 @10" and "The Walking Dead".

Now don't mistake me for a "violent T.V. show abolitionist". I believe that certain shows do have important themes and plot points that can only be established through the use of violence, but such shows should only be viewed by "Mature Audiences". Additionally, what I have stated does not apply to every single individual as this is a subjective topic, however, I will boldly say that this applies to the majority of people.

I await your counter argument.

Source(s):

1. http://www.eagleforum.org...
Rainyi

Con

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is a site that explains every point you have made, please read it all.

And you are doing amazing on your first debate.
DrFuzenstein

Pro

Thank you for the complement.

I'm not sure how this is a rebuttal. Are you saying that it is the parent's job to moderate what a child watches on television, and violence on TV does not therefore negatively affect a child? If this not what you saying then please clarify your point. If this is indeed your point then I will refute it by asking you to stick to the topic of the debate. The debate is not "Should parents moderate a child's television viewing experience?". The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not the parent moderates what a child is watching is irrelevant to the topic.
Rainyi

Con

The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not the parent moderates what a child is watching is irrelevant to the topic. The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not the parent moderates what a child is watching is irrelevant to the topic.

I do not believe in your statement. Debate definition: "a formal discussion on a particular topic in a public meeting or legislative assembly, in which opposing arguments are put forward." What are you proposing, that playing too much video games is bad for you too? Is eating harmful, just because some people abuse it? No!

I think you were only looking at the research when you went on [1]. Did you read the title? T.V Violence Affects Teenage Brains. Affects and harms are two different words. Affects means to have an affect on, to make a difference to. While effect "means to a change that is a result or consequence of an action or other cause." And [1] says nothing of the sort. Now going back to harm, harm means "physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted." And again, the title says nothing of the sort.

[1]http://www.eagleforum.org...

As for the "Walking Dead and News topic", I will review what you said.

"Let's move on to the news. If you have watched the news lately, you've probably heard about murder investigations, kidnappings, and global terrorist movements. Is watching these news reports "bad" for you? This question is extremely subjective because what doesn't bother you may bother someone else. The news reporter tells about a woman who was raped and killed or about the people being oppressed in Libya. Some people will get depressed over these reports and question the existence of a God while most will accept these facts of today's world and move on thinking "At least it isn't me."It is necessary for people to watch the news to see what is happening in the country. It is necessary that children/teens watch the news to understand what is wrong with the world and form an understanding of right and wrong. But there a vast difference between 'News 8 @10' and 'The Walking Dead'."

True, however, the news is different from T.V. Like you said: The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not the parent moderates what a child is watching is irrelevant to the topic. The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not the parent moderates what a child is watching is irrelevant to the topic.

Now, think of revising this to News and the Walking Dead: The debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not you see something violent on the News or while watching The Walking Dead, the debate is "Is watching violence on T.V. bad for you?". Whether or not you see something violent on either examples, this is irrelevant to the topic.

I have clearly proved my point and you have to, all I can say now is good luck.

DrFuzenstein

Pro

This is the final round so I will try to keep it brief and provide rebuttal only.

Firstly I would like to say that too much of anything can be harmful to oneself. "Really, isn't too much of everything bad for you?" You stated this belief in the first round yourself, and now your'e saying the opposite.

You are correct in saying the article I cited does not have the word "harm" in the title. But nowhere in this debate does either of us specify what "bad" entails. Without a predetermined criteria for what "bad" means, I am free to apply my argument to the physical, psychological, or spiritual aspects of a human. Only now, in the final round, do you use and define the word "harm" as if it is a core component of this debate.

I've said all I have to say. Thank you for your time and good luck.
Posted by Student4Life1975 1 year ago
Student4Life1975
I think violence on TV is only one of the many contributing factors that make up our overall environment. Books, Television, Media, Parents, Friends and aquaintences, Internet and other factors all contribute so to blame one area is simply unfair.