Ghostmalid123
Alanna.Kologey

Is Youtube Replacing T.V

Ghostmalid123

Pro

Rules: No Trolling
No Forfeiting
No Rude Manners

R1 is accepting only.
Ghostmalid123

Pro

Youtube is replacing T.V. for a many of reasons. First you can watch T.V on Youtube by searching it up. No commercials (if there are, just restart or skip it) and great quality. If you have bad internet use a phone or use a library's computer. Also if you have no computer and can't afford one just buy and Apple T.V cheap online. It's cheaper to buy. Subscriptions are free and sometimes you don't need to pay, just watch. Youtube has more options, on T.V it's a set broadcast, limiting your choices to what they want you to watch. On Youtube the choices are near limitless. Gaming is taking over and T.V doesn't offer that. It takes away a growing Enterprise from the eyes of viewers. That is my opening statement. Your move.
Alanna.Kologey

Con

I feel that T.V.Is very much used. Also tons of people can't afford/ get Internet to watch Youtube. Besides YouTube uses way to much of the Internet and can drain wifi (if you are limited) and can waste away data on your phone. T.v. will always be around and although you are at a set schedule of times to watch you can record and watch it later.
Ghostmalid123

Pro

"Also tons of people can't afford/ get Internet to watch Youtube." So how do they afford cable. The basic set costs around 60$ average. WiFi for the basic is 50$ almost a 10$ difference. I hear people talk about prices a lot.
"Besides YouTube uses way to much of the Internet and can drain WiFi (if you are limited)" and what happens if you aren't. Say you get great internet. What happens then? Quality is very important. I see that you didn't mention quality in your entire rebuttal, also 4k is free on Youtube but costs thousands on T.V: "on March 2015, a 55 inch 4K TV was priced at an average of US$1,370, compared to an average of US$2,660" quoted from the http://business.financialpost.com.... So 1000$ to free. Pretty simple choice really. Youtube is the much smarter choice. Check!
Alanna.Kologey

Con

With YouTube many people aren't wanting long videos. From http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
So why aren't we drawn to YouTube for long-form content? Primarily because YouTube (and more specifically, AdSense) is heavily optimized for short-form content. YouTube advertising is extremely aggressive and pervasive from the moment you arrive on the site. 30-second ads preempt content, banners fill the bottom of an in-play video and banner ads/paid-placement videos populate the right column.
We've learned to tolerate these interruptions and to filter out most of the annoying, disruptive banners to get to the content. But apply the same or similar advertising tactics to long-format and viewers won't stick around. This is a post-DVR/ Netflix world where users can consume TV shows and movies (even on networks) and either see no ads at all or speed past them at warp 9.1. Could you imagine watching your favorite episode of The Walking Dead and having banner ads surface at the bottom?
YouTube is meant for short video content and not for movies or television shows.
Ghostmalid123

Pro

Thank you for going this far into this debate. I commend you.

"We've learned to tolerate these interruptions and to filter out most of the annoying, disruptive banners to get to the content. But apply the same or similar advertising tactics to long-format and viewers won't stick around." In actuality T.V has a substantially amount of commercials. The ads on YouTube range from 30 - 40 seconds and 9/10 times it is skip able. On T.V ads however, you can't skip them. According to http://www.nytimes.com...: It says and I quote: "When television began as an advertising medium, the standard commercial length was 60 seconds." End quote. "That may have been 1971, who cares?" Yes the times have been dropped from 60 to 30, but in 2015, there is no skip button to skip commercials. That is my first point.

"banners fill the bottom of an in-play video and banner ads/paid-placement videos populate the right column." It's called pressing the "X" and the right. Yes it may be tedious, but if you are watching long enough to make it tedious, you have been online for way too long. Sitting is bad, but if you are binging or watching episodes of Netflix is the same as watching episodes on Youtube. Also you have pay money for Netflix. YOU. DO. NOT. HAVE. TO. PAY. FOR. YOUTUBE! I grow tiresome of repeating the same point over and over again.

Does anyone remember Vine. The 6 second platform that swept the nation. Well let me repeat myself, it was 6 seconds.
"So why aren't we drawn to YouTube for long-form content? Primarily because YouTube (and more specifically, AdSense) is heavily optimized for short-form content." So wouldn't that be a lot better? Wouldn't that be helpful for that platform. Comparing it to Vine, people make money with that short form content. Look at Felix/PewDiePie and his Salary: (quoted from Forbes, a reliable site for wealth):http://www.forbes.com...: "reached a new high this year when the Swedish newspaper Expresen reported he made $7.4 million in 2014, a little less than double the $4 million the Wall Street Journal estimated he made in 2013." 7.4 mil. That is much more than the average worker. 10 x more roughly. So that is my case. Agree for me. I appreciate all your understanding. GG m8, GG.
Alanna.Kologey

Con

Alanna.Kologey forfeited this round.
Posted by Alanna.Kologey 1 year ago
Alanna.Kologey
Dear Contender, poor Debate.org never informed me that you had posted your argument and I never received it.