Stage13-10
BlindBeliever

Is Youtube's copyright system sabotaging video creators?

Started: 4/7/2016 Category: Technology

Stage13-10

Pro

Well, yes. For beginners, you can have your video flagged by someone who claims to own the copyrighted content, and they can do this multiple times, thus your video has a high risk of being taken down for no reason. And what makes matters worse, is the infamous Content ID system. This system manages to make YouTube a WORSE place by causing mass confusion, because videos are being flagged and taken down en masse by bots. And for the dumbest of reasons. You can get your video flagged and taken down because a slight trace of audio from a copyrighted song. And the system is hypocritical, too. Imagine if a lesser-known Youtuber uses a copyrighted song. They get their video taken down. But if a popular one uses it, they get off scot-free. And every time your video gets taken down, you get a strike. 3 strikes, and you're screwed. But the more obnoxious part is, every time you get a strike, you have to watch the YouTube Copyright School video and take a quiz on top of that. Oh boy, this. This video is not actually about copyright laws. It's about YouTube's twisted system. And to make matters worse, if you mess up 2 or more questions, your account gets terminated early. This system causes only harm and helps those who exploit it.
BlindBeliever

Con

The popular ones who use even one second of audio or visual content from a copyrighted source specifically contacted the person owning it, or their attorney, to discuss permissions beforehand. Often they will have a very slightly tone-remixed version fo the song or sped up version to help but that's besides the point.

Pro actually imploded their entire case when they pointed out that the most successful Youtubers, use copyrighted content regularly in snippets in their videos, in fact what Pewdiepie originally did was using filmed content form copyrighted games and since it was him in the game and since he accredited the creator of the game he even could use sounds from it (now he get paid by game companies to test their game to make it popular so it's obviously allowed but what he originally did violated copyright laws in technicality).

Pewdiepie aside, the fact you admitted that the successful ones do it, proves in itself that the resolution is false as they are not being sabotaged. What it does is sabotage is video non-creators taking credit for actual video creators or creators of different arts such as music and/or jokes (you can't steal an official comedian's jokes and pose it as your own just a tip).

By doing this, YouTube actually helps 3 people. These three people can be called Mista Talentseeka, Justin Beccablack and Bruce Leglong. So, this weird choir kid that no one knows named Justin Beecablack is singing a ballad and someone comments on the video like, "OMG all the mainstream radio hits get my videos taken down but your underground raps and electronic dance music (EDM) are the type of stuff I like to make videos too, can I use it?! Beccablack is over the moon and is like "hell to the yeah, but link my channel and give credit please!" so Bruce Leglong does a martial arts dance video to this song no one has heard who otherwise wouldn't have bothered searching for underground music channels on youtube because mainstream ones wouldn't sue them. Then, Mista Talentseeka perks his eye sup like hmm, hmm, hmm, I like the music and the guy in the video, let me help them become a big hit! Then they because the bad guys who take down any videos with their content in it and the circle of life continues, the prey has become the predator.

Once you see it like this, YouTube isn't the bad guy.
Stage13-10

Pro

Well, if Youtube isn't the bad guy, then why are YouTubers speaking out against their system like this? And oddly enough, some popular YouTubers STILL get their videos taken down. And what about reviewing copyrighted content, if it's an awful episode of a series or a bad game of a series, the copyright holders use this to silence dissent upon their work.

And you say the system helps people, then WHY are there videos speaking out against it? https://www.youtube.com... https://www.youtube.com... And all that is coming from a successful YouTuber. How come they are being sabotaged when they are successful? And you know how I said they were invincible, I stand corrected. They aren't, they're just special.

And the people you describe that YouTube "helps", let me quote your argument. "Then they because the bad guys who take down any videos with their content in it" Um, that's exactly what's wrong with YouTube, they're becoming the people who abuse YouTube's copyright system. Well if Youtube's going that way, that's only helping the collapse of Youtube, by reducing the chances of being a YouTuber due to copyright takedowns, and false claims.

Imagine if i said I owned the rights to whatever popular thing, i.e. Undertale. That means, I can take down anything I want, although, I don't even own the content! You can get away with this, without consequences.
BlindBeliever

Con

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Stage13-10

Pro

Also, just saying, I usually unlist some of my videos because it lessens the risk of being taken down by the system :)
Also, i would like an extension.
BlindBeliever

Con

BlindBeliever forfeited this round.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
I want to point out that con has failed to address the fact that the copyright strike can be invoked MULTIPLE times against the. there are also many other flaws as well, here is one example. there is a program called vocaloid, it's basically a singing program for songwriters who can't or don't sing. I forget the specific yet there was one man using this program. he made a remix of the song that a band did copyright. the called the strike against him twice! what is even worse is that it was perfectly legal for him to do so, as he gave credit to the creators AND the vocaloid program he got gave him rights to use said song. con would have to address these at some point.
Posted by 3105193 1 year ago
3105193
Yes, I hate youtubes copywright system. I can never post videos without getting it either muted or banned in some contries. I HATE IT!!!!!!