ryedinc
Nytem

Is a Live action or Turn Based game better?

Started: 12/5/2015 Category: Games

ryedinc

Pro

I am, obviously, an avid gamer, and I love both live action type games, and turn based games. I personally do not consider one over the other, however I was just interested in seeing what others could argue. I'll take the side of Live Action games, while my contester will take Turn-Based. Consider Live Action games as games which are hack n' slash or FPS, such as Call of Duty or Devil May Cry.

I will start off my argument:

1. Live action games allow for much greater diversity of combat and gameplay, whereas you are stuck to "one at a time" rules for turn based games. In pokemon, for instance, you must wait and based on stats, one pokemon will go first, while another will have to wait until whatever the first does is complete. This does not allow for a manual chance to dodge. In Super Smash Bros, however, you do not have to play pokemon turn based. A pikachu could dodge an enemies attack based solely on how you move it in the game, not on which one is faster necessarily.

2. Live Action games give a more realistic feel, and we want an experience which we can see ourselves in, thus having fun with this imaginary world. With Live Action, you have natural control over actions, like when you dodge or attack from certain directions. You're not limited and can see this as something solely reliant on your own skill rather than your stats and movesets given. For instance, in a turn based game, you would need tactics, however you cannot simply defeat someone if your level and stats are much lower than theirs. In games such as One Piece: Unlimited World Red (First thing that came to mind since I just played it an hour or so ago), you could be low in level for a mission, and though you may be slower and weaker, so long as you dodge, don't get hit, and deal a steady stream of damage to an enemy, you are set to defeat them. Of course, one slip-up will be the end of you, but you have a much larger margin of error than if you could only do what your turns allowed you to do, so that it's based mostly on your skills than stats.

These are just my starting arguments, and are slightly similar/overlapping or going off topic a bit, but I'm sure you'll understand the basics of it. Also forgive me for the short responses I will give, maybe around this length or less. I end up having little time to talk about these, so I hope you can forgive me if I take some time. Anyway, good luck in this argument.
Nytem

Con

I'm going to argue for the sake of devil's advocate. I've met people who firmly believe turn based games are good, so I have a good understanding of the subject.

Turn based games, while you are stuck to one at a time, allows for more tactical thinking. While in COD or Devil May Cry, you can merely shoot/slash your way out of things, in a turn based game, it is more about solid tactics and strats. It decreases the mere twitch based gaming, where you win simply because you have better reflexes. Take into account XCOM. You cannot sprint out towards the enemy, mowing them down through superior reflexes, or better ping. Instead, you are force to make tactical options rather than a simple run and gun or hack and slash. In a turn based game, you are punished for making horrible decisions as they would in real life. For example, running out in the open will almost always get you killed in XCOM without the use of cover fire or smoke grenades. While this may be the case in COD, more often than not, you can usually outgun your opponent.

I would also infer that would make it way more realistic than a simple hack and slash or run and gun. While they do punish you for making stupid tactical decisions, you have to realize the AI for real time games and even the humans make mistakes in their aim, and factors including aim/recoil affect this. While yes you might argue that out aiming an opponent feels good, in some situations it doesn't make sense. For example, quickscoping or noscoping with a rifle- In real life, it would never happen. Killing someone at extremely close ranges when they have a shortsword and you have a longsword? again, possible, but wouldn't happen too often in rl.

And the dodge mechanic IS based on who's faster. It just uses the stats to figure that out, not reflex. I would also add it's more realistic because it uses the characters "reflexes" not yours. For example, while you might not be able to dodge a bullet in rl, Neo from the matrix can.

And honestly, you can fight higher level monsters in a turn based game. You just need to bring good gear and potions. I highly doubt you would be able to fight a monster higher than 5+ lvls than you, as the developers want you to fight monsters at your own level.

And that's where I'll end it for now.
ryedinc

Pro

ryedinc forfeited this round.
Nytem

Con

Nytem forfeited this round.
ryedinc

Pro

ryedinc forfeited this round.
Nytem

Con

Nytem forfeited this round.
Posted by Nytem 12 months ago
Nytem
Reported. Judging by the name you're prob a troll account, so idc in the slightest. bye.