ss12
Rawtheran

Is a career more important than enjoyment?

ss12

Pro

Yes. I think your career in your life is more important than enjoyment because you can always seek happiness. Despite not having it, having a secure lifestyle with a constant income is essential on living a pleasant lifestyle. If you do not have a job, you can't be happy because you are in a stressful situation. YOu need someone to support you, or else it is a struggle to be carefree. Thus, it can be said that with your career, you can seek happiness.
Rawtheran

Con

A career is the way that someone in today's world would make his living but it does not have to be what makes a person happy in life. Afterall it goes back to the old saying that "money cannot truly buy happiness" and there are people who have tons of money, and buy expensive cars, phones, computers, etc. thinking that they will be happy. The real truth though is that money cannot fill the void in the heart that is missing which is really pleasure. Now can you find pleasure in a career? Absolutely! However should a career be the absolute focus of your life? No it should not in fact it would be a very lonely life because all of your energy is focused on your career that it can be very easy to neglect your children, wife, family, etc. Its always nice to have a secure income, but not every job and career will last forever sometimes you can lose your career or end up being unsatisfied with what your doing in your life. While it is true that you can be stressful not having a job it can go back to life is what you make of it. If someone is truly passionate about wanting to find a job then they will find one eventually if they keep searching for one or they can find a temporary one to get them back on their feet. There can still be people who have lost everything, and yet are still happy with where they are at because they still have their family or loved ones, and they know that with time they can recover from their situation. I would also like to point out that a career is not about well the career because that can leave a person unsatisfied a career should be about doing what you love for the people you love, not for personal pleasure because it can't be found.
ss12

Pro

Although your point about "money can't buy happiness" is true, shall i counter that i wasn't necessarily talking about seeking happiness from the wealth of your job. In fact, what I was saying was that being deprived from a job is putting yourself in a bad situation. You're saying that you can still be happy with doing what you love, but what if your job is the thing that you love doing? A career is vital and actually can provide happiness for you, if you use it the right way. Additionally, you also get benefits: an income, which allows you to have enough to live, and afford luxuries if you have enough. That is not necessarily what I mean when i think of happiness, but with a career, you can still be happy.
Rawtheran

Con

While it is true that you can love doing your job I would argue that your job is or at least should not be the source of your happiness. You point out in your argument that if you use a career the right way then you can actually be happy which I'd like to ask if you would please clarify this point? How can someone be happy if their career is the absolute center of their reality? Can't a career cause you to miss the events around you that's going on in your life? For example say a relative is getting married, but I can't make it to the wedding because I have to work. By missing the wedding, and putting my career over a loved one are you not missing out on family which is arguably the true source of our happiness? Furthermore isn't this going to cause a rift in that person's relationship with their family members which will lead to unhappiness on both sides? Can someone truly be happy by putting their career first at the expense of others? Because by doing this you will cause other people to become unhappy because they feel that you are being self centered, and only thinking of yourself, and your career. What happiness is found in that? if anything I would argue that any happiness found in a career to the point that it takes over you life is a false sense of happiness. Pursuing your dream can definently lead to happiness, but putting your career first over other aspects in your life does not. And in reality we really must ask ourselves what exactly is happiness? What causes us to be happy? I guess that this is up to the individual.
ss12

Pro

ss12 forfeited this round.
Rawtheran

Con

I have no more statements to make
Posted by BearWithMe 2 years ago
BearWithMe
People usually get careers for enjoyment, either they enjoy their work or enjoy the benefits.
Posted by lamerde 2 years ago
lamerde
Apparently I don't have voting privileges and I'm not that interested in getting them. I'll post what would have been my RFD anyway:

Although Con used many rhetorical questions which, to me, don't really constitute arguments, Pro made statements that weren't fully supported and forfeited his/her final round. I would have given Arguments to Con.

My advice to Con would be to phrase your arguments as statements, rather than questions - it would have been much stronger that way. My advice to both debaters would be to explicate your arguments so that they are more logically sound, and/or provide links to support what you are saying.