bbar97
Emilrose

Is a fetus both living and human?

Emilrose has forfeited round #1.

bbar97

Pro

How do people claim that fetuses aren't living humans when they meet all 7 characteristics of life? Two of the most common pro-choice arguments are that 1. nobody should have the right to tell a woman what to do with "her body" and 2. That a fetus isn't a living human and therefore doesn't have human rights.

1. This is ridiculous because a fetus is NOT a part of a woman's body, it is inside of it. It has its own unique DNA and is therefore a separate human.
2. Fetuses meet all 7 characteristics of life, so they are living, and they are of the human "species" so they are living and human. Therefore they should have at LEAST the same right to life as other humans.

Rules:
1. The second you start getting emotional and start name-calling the opponent, you lose.
2. You MUST address each part of the opponents argument.
3. The only points that either person makes that will be admitted as a valid point must be either supported with factual evidence or sound logic.

Thanks and Good luck!
Posted by NDECD1441 3 months ago
NDECD1441
Please vote on this debate http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Bitch_Goddess 3 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
@ Stonehe4rt
It isn't killing a baby. It's killing a human fetus. And believe it or not, those aren't the same things.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 3 months ago
Stonehe4rt
@ NDECD1441

I see, It seems I did misunderstand. My bad.
Posted by NDECD1441 3 months ago
NDECD1441
@Stonehe4rt,
I beilieve you misunderstood me with all due respect. I did not put there that I do not like the rules. I merely stated the setup will not bode well for the debate. If bbar97 is going to stage this on the 7 characteristics of life, then all the opponent has to do is simply prove the fetus doesn't match at least ONE or the characteristics and still win the debate! With no specific burden of proof placed, the contextualization of the debate will determine it. I do not believe this is a debate at all. How ever it will prove a great opinion question.
Posted by SinSyto 3 months ago
SinSyto
I'm pro choice, myself, but I do like the idea of having a good debate. The rules do seem fair to me.
Posted by SinSyto 3 months ago
SinSyto
Posted by Stonehe4rt 3 months ago
Stonehe4rt
@NDECD1441

The 3 rules don't seem over bearing? All the stuff above those three rules are just his/her arguments which you can refute. The Rules just state not to insult each other, address each other's points, and use factual evidence. If those three rules seem like too much, then I don't know what would be acceptable. Assuming you think these three rules make you at a disadvantage, that would mean you wanted to either: Insult, Ignore the other persons arguments, or simply Lie throughout your debate. The setup seems pretty standard to me.
Posted by Stonehe4rt 3 months ago
Stonehe4rt
@Spero

Did you know that just under half of our entire nation is UNPOPULATED? Did you know the Government pays farmers to NOT grow crops, due to having too much? Population is not a problem that will affect us any time soon, and all those lives that have been aborted could have probably thought of some dang good solutions. China has less land than us and more than 3 times our population. Trust me, Population isn't a issue. That is just an excuse.

Want to know a better way to solve Population overgrowth? Get married before you bang someone. Boom. Mind blowing right? Commit to someone before you get them pregnant? This way we don't end up with 5 kids from 5 different dads. Population Overgrowth is a moral issue with the people of the nation, and killing babies isn't going to fix that problem.
Posted by NDECD1441 3 months ago
NDECD1441
This is tautological. This isnt even a debate if you want to make such an unreasonable setup that guarantees you win.
Posted by Arganger 3 months ago
Arganger
@SperoXVII

That was a separate idea, she said "and they are of the human "species""

The "and" separates the idea from the other.