PotatoJoe
justin.graves

Is a unborn baby tangible? Without harming the mother

justin.graves

PotatoJoe

Con

A baby who is in the womb of the mother is not tangible. You cannot touch the fetus. Yes you can feel the baby kick but can you physically touch the baby? No, you can't. You would have to physically harm the mother in order to make the fetus tangible.
justin.graves

Pro

Definition of tangible according to the Oxfor Dictionary: "perceptible by touch"

My opponent admit that "Yes you can feel the baby kick." Pressure is a part of the sense of touch. Along with temperature and pain. When you feel that baby move, you are using your sense of touch. Case closed.

http://oxforddictionaries.com...
http://www.dartmouth.edu...

Thank you and goodnight.
PotatoJoe

Con

Thank you for opposing my argument. But I don't think you understand the subject. Lets say person one is pregnant. Could person 2 feel the fetus without harming the mother? A fetus is surrounded by the uterus and unless you puncture it, you cannot touch the fetus directly.
justin.graves

Pro

...Whether a second person can feel the baby has nothing to do with if the baby is tangible or not. The mother can still feel it, therefore, it is tangible.
PotatoJoe

Con

To that mother. But that wasn't the question. The fetus isn't tangible to person two. Asking whether person one can feel it or not isn't the subject of the argument.
justin.graves

Pro

That is not what applies to the definition of "tangible." Just because the I can't touch the Empire State Building right now does not mean that the building isn't tangible. The definition of tangible is "perceptible by touch." So if the object in question can by perceived by the use of touch by anyone, then it is tangible. For that matter, even if it is possible for the object in question to be perceptible by touch by anyone, then it is tangible.

So if the mother can feel the baby, it is tangible. No matter what. That's just basic reasoning.

Going by what my opponent said, none of you are tangible because a certain unspecified person can't touch you. You are all, therefore, intangible, meaning " unable to be touched or grasped; not having physical presence.:

By my opponent's flawed logic:

You do not really physically exist.

Thank you and goodnight!
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
Weird. When I type it in the draft box, it says it's not a word.

You're winning anyways. If your thirteen point lead just miraculously disappears, I guess I'll change it. I just feel that the ignorance of the voters is an important factor in any debate.
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
Weird. When I post it, it says it's not a word.

Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous

Posted by justin.graves 3 years ago
justin.graves
And I spell checked twice. Apparently Oxfor is a word.
Posted by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
I usually base my spelling and grammar point on spelling errors alone, due to the red underlining and the spellcheck button, both of which are on the argument creation page. I take away points for rushed arguments and negligence, not a lack of language courses (or double negatives).
Posted by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
Anon voted spelling and grammar for a single misspelling: "Pro loses spelling and grammar for 'oxford'."

Walrus voted S&G for the same misspelling: "Also, he spelled OXFORD wrong. That is inexcusable. If you can't spell it right, don't both using it as a source."

That would seem to me hypercritical, even if Firstguy's S&G were better, which it's not. I can't see voting S&G for one word. One person's S&G would have to be poor enough to make reading a nuisance or comprehension difficult before I would recommend voting S&G, and then the other person's S&G would have to be substantially better.

If we're being hypercritical, I note that Walrus misspelled "bother" (he wrote "both") and that Anon messed up the quotation marks (unless he's British, in which case I think he did it right).

I'm going to list some problems with Firstguy's S&G here, in the hopes that Anon and Walrus will see that their S&G votes weren't fair, and will change them (to tie, not to Secondguy victory).

Problems with Firstguy's spelling and Grammar:

: But I don't think you understand the subject.

If we're being hypercritical, there should have been a comma after "But."

: Lets say person one is pregnant.

She left the apostrophe out of "Let's."

: Could person 2 feel the fetus without harming the mother?

Again, this is hypercritical, but small numbers are supposed to be spelled out.

: A fetus is surrounded by the uterus and unless you puncture it, you cannot touch the fetus directly.

Run-on sentence needs a comma or semicolon after "uterus."

If you put a comma at one end of a parenthetical phrase, you have to put one at the other end too. Therefore, either, "and, unless you puncture it," or, "and unless you puncture it."

: To that mother.

Sentence fragment.

--

Note that I am not suggesting that people vote S&G points to Secondguy. I don't think Firstguy's S&G was bad enough to warrant that. But it was clearly worse than Secondguy's.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
PotatoJoejustin.gravesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Better persuasion by victor.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
PotatoJoejustin.gravesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Slam dunk. Firstguy admitted that you can feel the fetus.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
PotatoJoejustin.gravesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro loses spelling and grammar for 'oxford'. Pro wins arguments because his were actual arguments, as opposed to 'no, you're wrong'. Pro wins sources because he had some.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
PotatoJoejustin.gravesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con could have disagreed with the definitions and suggested others... They tried to talk about a different word instead. They could have also argued that the mother is harmed by the baby (stretch marks)... Granted, they had quite the BoP to overcome; it just would have been nice if they'd given it their best shot. Pro proved the resolution, with a definition, and then pointing out that mothers feel the baby all the time.