ILoveSitarMusic
LibertyLover

Is a zygote a person with rights?

ILoveSitarMusic

Con

I say no. The zygote does not have brainwaves. Life begins when the fetus has brainwaves. Brainwaves are how you tell if someone is alive. Brainwaves stop when someone dies.
LibertyLover

Pro

I would say yes. Life begin at conception. There is the possibility for life, and ending it is the same as murder.
ILoveSitarMusic

Con

What evidence can you provide that proves life begins at conception? A zygote is not sentient. It does not have brainwaves.
LibertyLover

Pro

Sources that life begin at conception
(1) - http://www.princeton.edu...
(2) - http://www.lifenews.com...

After a meager 4 weeks into pregnancy the baby already starts to show human features. With multiple scientific sources I have shown that even a large section of the scientific community defines life at conception. If that is true, then they have the right to life that every other human has.
ILoveSitarMusic

Con

I disagree. A zygote is not sentient. It does not have brainwaves. Brainwaves are how you tell if someone is alive.
LibertyLover

Pro

You have no posted any sources backing up that brainwaves are what define life. Why would brainwaves define life? I have posted medical and scientific evidence to support my claim.
ILoveSitarMusic

Con

We know from science that brainwaves are how you tell that someone is alive. To determine when a person is alive or dead, they check for brain activity. A zygote is not a sentient person with rights. The idea of life at conception is a religious idea that should not dictate the law.
LibertyLover

Pro

We consider single cell organisms that have no brain or brain waves life. There are many cases that life is defined before brainwaves, as the scientific sources I sited state.
Posted by EdwardTrail 1 year ago
EdwardTrail
While Pro did point out that we do acknowledge single celled organisms without brainwaves as "life". The question at hand was regarding personhood. The qualification of personhood ends, in death, when the brainwaves cease. It seems to follow logically that then the start of these brainwaves would indicate where personhood begins.
Posted by Alpha3141 1 year ago
Alpha3141
Iv not really gotten to this debate topic yet. Seems interesting
Posted by Philocat 1 year ago
Philocat
I thought you were pro-life?
Posted by ILoveSitarMusic 1 year ago
ILoveSitarMusic
If you have a problem with my choice of words, start your own debate.
Posted by Geogeer 1 year ago
Geogeer
If nobody else accepts I will. However, you should reword the topic to say:

"Should a zygote be recognized as a person with rights."

That is really what you are trying to debate here.
Vote Placed by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
ILoveSitarMusicLibertyLoverTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am giving no one the most reliable sources, because con provided none and Pro's sources weren't really evidence they were just quotes of people agreeing with him. More convincing arguments goes to con, because he is right that brainwaves are used to decide if a person is alive or not. Pro did state that it is technically life, but Pro did not prove that they should receive rights as a person. Pro states that killing life is the same as murder, but the reality is we technically kill life all the time by eating plants or animals. Ever crush an ant? Overall Con wins convincing arguments, because he did prove that a zygote does not fit human standards for being alive while all pro did is prove that it is technically life which is not what this debate is about.
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
ILoveSitarMusicLibertyLoverTied
Reasons for voting decision: I give Pro argument points because; provided evidence to back up his ignition R1 claim that life begins at conception by providing links. Throughout the entire debate Con reiterates the same thing, zygotes don?t have brainwaves, therefore they are not alive. This is the only argument he makes, yet he gives no evidence to show how this is true, merely proclaims it. Whilst Pro gives evidence to back up his claim that life begins at contraception and therefore proving the motion.