Jonathan11
Solomon_Orlando

Is abortion a violation of a humans rights and freedoms

Solomon_Orlando

Jonathan11

Pro

First round is to accept

Con is arguing that abortion is NOT a violation
Pro is arguing that abortion is a violation
Solomon_Orlando

Con

I accept - I want to thank my opponent for putting this debate up.

I will debate that abortion is NOT a violation of human rights.
Jonathan11

Pro

Before I begin we all have different views on subject such as this and I hope we do not upset one another during this debate. I will start off with saying abortion is not only effecting the mother but is depriving the unborn child with rich life experience like going to school or having a family, some would even consider it murder. Abortion is only acceptable for those who have been sexually assaulted, but usually thats not the case, may I remind you it is the woman's choice to have intercourse and that they should now the risks that that carries, so to finish my statement I believe that Abortion is a violation of the unborn child's rights.
Solomon_Orlando

Con

Thank you for your entrance into the argument; I'm a very open-minded person, I do not believe I'll be offended or I will offend you.

First off, I would like to state that assuming that the 'child' has person-hood at conception is usually a religious belief and has absolutely no evidence to support that matter. There is not a consensus to when a human life begins; that argument is flimsy due to the fact that sperm and egg are living and it could be argued that they, too, have human life. Yet, most of the sperm is wasted and almost two-thirds of human conception is spontaneously aborted by nature itself.

"I will start off with saying abortion is not only effecting the mother but is depriving the unborn child..."

I can only assume that "effecting" is derogatory, meaning that it is badly affecting the mother and the 'child'. When, in actuality, abortions can have a beneficial effect on the mother in numerous different scenarios: Lowering the risk of death to the mother during labor, lowering the risk of having to use scarce finances to care for a child, and it especially helps when the woman has been raped or was involved in unwanted incest.

"...may I remind you it is the woman's choice to have intercourse and that they should now the risks that that carries..."

Sexual desires and activities should not be punished with motherhood - it is vindictive and cruel to the woman and the child. Anti-abortionists make it out to seem that motherhood is a trivial milestone by dismissing pregnancy as an inconvenience. They make the woman feel guilty for wanting to abort the child and/or having such sexual activities, ultimately dismissing compassion where it is needed.

Now, why I believe that abortion is NOT a violation for human rights and freedoms. Like I said previously, there is not evidence to support the opinion that person-hood is given to the 'child' at conception. If you are also to say that it is a violation of human rights, there would need to be human rights for fetuses, correct? "If fetal rights were enshrined in law, women's bodies, rights, and health would be subordinated to the protection of embryos. The legal consequences of such a law would be catastrophic. The best way to protect the fetus is to promote the health and well-being of women. (Pro-Choice Action.)"

Pro-Choice Action: http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org...
Jonathan11

Pro

Sexual desires and activities should not be punished with motherhood

Yes they should be punished they are adults they should be able to make decisions that will be in their best interest and to know the risks that that carries, they've invented something called the condom also known as a prophylactics that terminated the chance of having a child.

They make the woman feel guilty for wanting to abort the child
The woman should feel guilty she had deprived her unborn child with experiences such as graduation and marriage.

Now, why I believe that abortion is a violation of humans rights. Even if sperm and egg are living there is no way to save the extra sperm but when the mother aborts the fetus they have the choice whether to terminate the fetus.
Solomon_Orlando

Con

"The woman should feel guilty she had deprived her unborn child with experiences such as graduation and marriage."

Like I said previously, there is no biological fact to prove that person-hood is given at conception. The giving of person-hood is simply something based on either philosophy or religion, and neither of those have any facts to back them up. Therefore, the argument that you are taking life away from a fetus is completely null, unless you can provide facts to prove otherwise.

"...but when the mother aborts the fetus they have the choice whether to terminate the fetus."

That's not necessarily true; sometimes nature aborts the pregnancy before it reaches fetal viability. These are known as miscarriages and two-thirds of human conception is naturally aborted by that process: so, no - sometimes the woman does not have the choice to terminate the fetus and the body does it for them.

"Yes they should be punished they are adults they should be able to make decisions that will be in their best interest"

Having sexual intercourse can be in their best interest. There are many benefits to sexual intercourse, such as: stress relief, boosts immune system, and it increases self-esteem with many other benefits, as well. To move onto your next comment about condoms; sometimes they break from manufacturing disorders and this can cause unwanted pregnancy. If you are a young woman [which, in itself, can cause many dangerous - sometimes life threatening - situations.] and you conceive, you will have many problems going through the pregnancy. Lack of income, no time to further future for parents and/or child, and family issues immediately after birth.

Also, you have left one of my arguments uncontested: "If fetal rights were enshrined in law, women's bodies, rights, and health would be subordinated to the protection of embryos. The legal consequences of such a law would be catastrophic. The best way to protect the fetus is to promote the health and well-being of women. (Pro-Choice Action.)" Like I said before, you would have to give human rights to fetuses and you simply cannot do that by, one, enshrining fetal rights in law and, two, using religious/philosophical beliefs [on when person-hood is given] to promote such laws.

Benefits of sex: http://www.webmd.com...
Posted by iamsu 4 years ago
iamsu
the decision of aborting a child should be completely under the will of the woman...
Posted by Oreo7 4 years ago
Oreo7
the whole point of when a unborn child becomes "a person" is moot because they will by everyone definition become a person within 9 months therefore aborting a foetus is just pre-emptive murder, a bit like destroying a half built sculpture or burning a half painted painting; in both those cases you have still destroyed the item even if neither is finished.
Posted by orazymbetova.malika 4 years ago
orazymbetova.malika
what i view is that the act of abortion should be banned because it deliberately destroys a human life. I believe that every form of the act, without any exceptions, should be outlawed simply because abortion is merely "murdering out of convenience". From the moment that a child is conceived, no matter how small or underdeveloped he or she may seem, that child is a human being that is a separate part of its mother and a human entity all its own. And the taking of a human life by another human being is easily defined as homicide, which under other circumstances would be punishable by law.
orazymbetova.malika
it is a cruel action from the side of humanity.It seems to me like killing their baby thirselves.But some people may say that becoming pregnant in unexpected time lead people to decide to do abortion,and they accept this action like normal one.Before becoming pregnant people should think on that and ask themselves how it will be if i become pregnant.Really i dont understand people who did and are going to do abortion.It also harm for their health.Even after doing abortion they might not become pregnant.It is very resolute action.And i would like to say that not to do abortion
Posted by mrsatan 4 years ago
mrsatan
@donald.keller

Did you accidentally give arguments to Pro instead of Con? Clearly you didn't care for Cons arguments, but as far as I can tell, you thought Pros were worse.
Posted by Solomon_Orlando 4 years ago
Solomon_Orlando
I would like to say, in regards to the recent vote, that he should not have been awarded three points for merely repeating himself and not being able to refute my points. ...I used miscarriage to refute his point, not to say that it was simply that; because of miscarriages; is the reason why abortion is not a human right.
Posted by donald.keller 4 years ago
donald.keller
Conduct: Both sides were even. Neither got aggressive, FF'd, or used fallacies of any form.

S&G: About the same. I didn't find any misspells or grammatical errors I could notice, or worth noting.

Argument: Con's arguments were flimsy. He stuck with the person-hood argument, which is easily refuted by a simply definition and understanding of a human is. He made poor claims that no little ground like this one: "That's not necessarily true; sometimes nature aborts the pregnancy before it reaches fetal viability." Miscarriage? Really? That's not relevant... Nature can't breech Human Rights and murder people... This is about humans doing it, which they actually can. Con simply made no solid argument...

Pro made less. His tiny arguments held no ground, and blew away easily in the breeze that was his opponents argument. He dropped most arguments, and had all of his refuted. I can say that I'd like to challenge Con in a better debate, but that'd be up to him.

Sources: Con had a Pro-choice site as a source. The credibility of such a source in this debate is beyond questionable. However, he did list off WebMD. A trust-able source in such a debate.
Posted by donald.keller 4 years ago
donald.keller
Also, sperm and egg aren't human. They only carry 23 chromosomes.
Posted by donald.keller 4 years ago
donald.keller
"First off, I would like to state that assuming that the 'child' has person-hood at conception is usually a religious belief and has absolutely no evidence to support that matter."

It's not religious, it's in definition. A person is, according to Merriam-Webster, Free Dictionary, and Oxford dictionary, a Human Being. Even at conception, the zygote has human DNA, and is human.

If:
1) Human = Person
2) Baby = Human
3) Baby = Person
Vote Placed by thp078 4 years ago
thp078
Jonathan11Solomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro offered no arguments based on logic, only those based on human sentiment which carry no clout in the scholastic realm, which I acknowledge debates as being a part of. Con was able to refute every argument presented to them and also used sources (though one of which may be biased, the second used most likely was not).
Vote Placed by Mikal 4 years ago
Mikal
Jonathan11Solomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a pretty thorough beat down. Both sides could have argued it better but Con really had nothing to refute. Pro just simply gave his opinion on why abortion was wrong rather than actually building a case for it. This left Con with a very simple task of discrediting the small bit of points pro did make. Sources to Con because he was the only one with them, and they backed up some of his initial statements.
Vote Placed by mrsatan 4 years ago
mrsatan
Jonathan11Solomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments go to Con, as Pros arguments were nothing more than assertions, and he didn't defend any of them against Cons refutations. Pro barely addressed Cons arguments, and not to any substantial degree. Sources to Con. Pro gave no backing for his statements. Conduct to Pro, as I find it rather unsporting of Con to offer new arguments in the last round, as Pro is unable to address them.
Vote Placed by donald.keller 4 years ago
donald.keller
Jonathan11Solomon_OrlandoTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments