Mongo
Vani_Mrata

Is affirmative action obsolete?

Mongo has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Mongo

Pro

I believe Affirmative Action is obsolete and needs to be either eliminated altogether or updated. According to the latest census figures, the so-called "majority" account for less than 30% of jobs, housing, income, etc. in every major metro area in the U. S. The "minorities" account for 2/3 or more of owning housing, having sustainable jobs, etc.
Vani_Mrata

Con

I believe that affirmative action is not entirely obsolete. I'd also like to point out that you have only used the example of the United States which happens to be a very privileged nation while conveniently ignoring nations such as India, South Africa, Sri-Lanka etc which are still on the verge of development. In such nations it becomes extremely essential that policies of affirmative action be implemented to level the platform for all. Not all citizens of such under developed nations have had the benefit of education and monetary autonomy. Thus to ensure equity to establish equality it is crucial that policies of affirmative action be adopted in such countries.
For example, in the case of South Africa the country began to redress discriminations and focused on combating structural racism and racial inequality, hoping to maximize diversity in all levels of society and sectors with the introduction of affirmative action. Since the country predominantly had an apartheid government this helped elevate the status of the perpetual underclass and to restore equal access to the benefits of society.
Thus I feel that its extremely essential that affirmative action not be deemed as completely obsolete for it definitely has helped in improving the conditions of many underprivileged and historically oppressed people in many developing countries.
Mongo

Pro

True, many developing nation's are in need of a Affirmative Action program. However, I'm referring to the U.S. If anything, Affirmative Action should be based on local census figures, not nationwide. (In the U.S.)
Vani_Mrata

Con

Since the motion doesn't state that the debate is limited within the boundaries of one nation, it would be rather skewed for you to assume that. I am not from the U.S and it would only be fair if we both follow nationwide lines rather than our individual local ones. But even if I am to take you at your best and only case, i.e. affirmative action being irrelevant in the United States, I feel that America being a large and diverse nation is home to various kinds of people such as African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans and Asian Americans it would only be fair if these people also get an opportunity to share the same platform as any other average white American.
Thus I feel your case where you have literally use no other example but of the U.S has no water since U.S is already a very privileged nation and since the motion doesn't specify the debate being limited to one particular nation it would be a little to narrow minded for you to have assumed that.
Mongo

Pro

Since you admit to not having lived in the U. S. NOR experienced what we're debating, I feel you should be given the opportunity to withdraw. However, I would like to point out that U. S. citizens have fought hard for way you refer to as priveliges, whereas there are those that expect to be simply given them.
Funny how you should drop the race card. Lol!
Vani_Mrata

Con

I'd like to remind you that affirmative action is not exclusive only to the United States thus your claim of me not being "experienced" about what we're debating is very disingenuous on your part. I needn't be an American to know what affirmative action is. Again the motion doesn't explicitly state the debate being limited to one particular region and you have not even attempted to think outside the small bubble that you have created for yourself, i.e. affirmative action being obsolete in the U.S. I suggest that you read a little more about the importance of affirmative action and the results that it has produced around various nations instead of being so insular.
And yes U.S citizens have fought hard for the status that they enjoy today but what about the racism that still prevails in your country?
Hate crimes are motivated by race more than anything else. Nearly half of all hate crimes committed in America have to do with race. According to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, 47% of hate crimes are racially motivated.
There are active hate groups in every single state of America. Hate groups, such as the Ku Klux Klan or the Aryan Nations, are extremist networks very often motivated by race. White supremacy is at the root of many of these groups, which have not atomized since the civil rights era, when racial segregation ended. As result of this racial discrimination the blacks consistently earn less than whites. By 2015, the GDP per capita for whites was $13,260, compared to $11,908 for blacks.
Moreover affirmative action has also proved fruitful for women in the past. From 1972-1933:
The percentage of women architects increased from 3% to nearly 19% of the total
The percentage of women doctors more than doubled from 10% to 22% of all doctors
The percentage of women lawyers grew from 4% to 23% of the national total
The percentage of female engineers went from less than 1% to nearly 9%
The percentage of female chemists grew from 10% to 30% of all chemists
The percentage of female college faculty went from 28% to 42% of all faculty
Furthermore, since only 1983, the percentage of women business managers and professionals grew from 41% of all such persons, to 48%, while the number of female police officers more than doubled, from 6% to 13%. According to a 1995 study, there are at least six million women who simply wouldn't have the jobs they have today, but for the inroads made by affirmative action.
Thus affirmative action has achieved much in the past and still has much to do in the future.
And as long as nations like India and Sri Lanka are concerned it is only because of affirmative action that of people of minority castes and linguistic lines respectively have been uplifted and are able to share the same platform as the majority to a great extent today.
Since you raised the question of withdrawal I suggest if anyone must than it definitely must be you for not once have you gone beyond the limits of affirmative action in U.S and completely tried to change what this debate was about. If it was restricted to the U.S then the motion would have stated so. I suggest you read some more on this issue before posting another of your prejudiced opinions on affirmative action.