annaweb
williamskillem

Is allowing women in combat a mistake?

annaweb

Pro

In light of SecDef Carter's recent decision to open all (including special forces) military positions to females without exceptions, I would like to get a feel for where the majority rests on this issue currently. Let's start out with the most common reasons people come up with to support their arguments that having females in combat MOS's is a bad idea.

1. They can't hack it physically. - Other variations of this includes:
>>Women's biological inferiority will cause a lowering of physical standards which will place us as a national fighting force at risk and will cause unnecessary deaths to troops. (come on guys, really? Let's not be drama queens now)
>>Even if the standards aren't lowered, a female will still not be able to handle the physical demands of front line combat. Training cannot prepare for this and women just don't have it in 'em.
>>Women get injured more often.

2. Women can't hack it mentally. - Other variations of this include:
>>War has a foundation in testosterone pumping, no-f**ks-giving, hotblooded, masculinity. That's what keeps our troops focused to complete their mission. Women will just ruin all the fun.
>>Women are weak minded and emotional. Their minds are simply incapable of overcoming the mentally taxing demands of combat.

3. Women in combat will only bring a slew of social and logistical issues which we don't have the time to deal with, and we cannot possibly think to lower ourselves to level which would be necessary to sort through such nonsense. - Other variations of this include:
>>Women have periods. eww.
>>Women's hygiene simply cannot be maintained in combat. They'll ask for their own bathrooms and sh**. We don't have time for this.
>>We currently don't have to deal with sexual assault claims. Let's keep it that way.
>>Romance and sex will cause troops to lose focus.

If you have the mental capacity greater than that of a toddler, you will have noticed some sarcasm at this point. I am not trying to insult anyone. I am only giving my humorous version of arguments opposing the issue at hand which I have heard personally. I'm sure that I am missing a few, but those are the main reasons I come across. (To be quite honest, the underlying tone I hear in most of these arguments is: women in combat would just wound the male ego.)

There are some legitimate points disguised in my hilarious portrayal of opposing arguments. Such as: we will need to address the logistical issues involved in integrating women in these positions. Also, we cannot lower standards for women to use as a crutch to pass physical standards. We must identify a physical standard which is not calculated through a male OR a female's physique but by what is necessary of a competent, capable, and successful war-fighter. However, these are NOT reason enough to deny those women who do have the mental and physical capacity to "keep up with" their male counterparts the ultimate display of patriotism and sacrifice of serving our nation in combat.

Before I begin addressing each issue I have mentioned above think about the issue from the perspective of the individual's most affected by this decision: women who dare enter the combat fraternity.

If you're a chick who wants to pursue military combat you'll have to overcome a few hurdles:
1. To prepare physically remember - Biology is working against you so you'll have to train twice as hard and twice as long to achieve the same results as your male counterparts. (Recently I decided I needed some extra help in conditioning my body to be able to do 20 pull-ups and an 18 minute 3-mile run. I met with many different trainers most of which wrote me off or said "I'll help you prepare for the female standard but getting a perfect male score is wasted time and energy")
2. To prepare mentally remember - Literally everyone will tell you that you can't and/or that you're a joke and/or that you will fail miserably. So you have to want it a hell of a lot more than your male counterparts to take the constant nay-saying and work towards it anyways.
3. To prepare socially remember - You can kiss goodbye any notions of "fitting it". Some people will tell you that you look like a man because your biceps are not non-existent and your thigh gap is replaced with muscle. Most people will be waiting for any opportunity to feed their old fashioned ideals of where you belong and pick the the most retarded and unfounded reasons to label you a slut (So you can pretty much kiss dating goodbye too) or incompetent. Also, guys will either deny you any femininity at all, or they will constantly remind you of their version of it by making comments about how weak and incapable you are. Oh and let's not forget my personal favorite: "you're a national security risk". If you want the above to be what you eat, breath, and live for about the next decade for your life (in prep for, during, and after military service) then sign up today for the infantry!

My goal in writing all this is not to have a pity party or to insult anyone. I realize that these attitudes I have described above have been socially conditioned in our heads and have been the status quo for a very long time. I am also not saying that all women are capable ... just that they do exist. So let's give 'em a chance, shall we?

Much of what I have said above illustrates why you don't see too many women seeking out the challenge of military combat. This might give off the impression that capable women do not exist. It's not that some women aren't capable. It's that we give them a very small margin to succeed mentally or physically. And an even smaller margin of positive and constructive preparation techniques exist.

Next time you encounter a woman who wants to chase this challenge, don't discredit her just because she has boobs. Thanks for reading, that is all.

Oh! One last thing: women have already been in combat for the last 15 years at least, just not officially. Just in case your brain was still stuck on "women can't hack it". So really......No one's opinion matters.
williamskillem

Con

I think women should be allowed into the military. They have just as much a right to fight for what they believe in and their country. It just may take awhile for the trainers and things like that to adapt to a new sex entering such a thing that has been run by testosterone. I wish you good luck
annaweb

Pro

Thank you for that williamskillem. Obviously our current administration and maybe even majority opinion among civilians agrees with you. However, the same cannot be said of the majority opinion of current military members unfortunately.
williamskillem

Con

They are good at adapting they do it all the time. No reason why women can't be in the military. Thank you
annaweb

Pro

annaweb forfeited this round.
williamskillem

Con

williamskillem forfeited this round.
annaweb

Pro

annaweb forfeited this round.
williamskillem

Con

williamskillem forfeited this round.
annaweb

Pro

annaweb forfeited this round.
williamskillem

Con

williamskillem forfeited this round.
Posted by Wild.Grape 1 year ago
Wild.Grape
What you are not taking into account is that females are more valuable for continuing species. Imagine that you have 2 groups. In one group you have 9 females and one males. What can happen is that one male impregnates those 9 females. After 9 months you will have 9 babies. Humanity, as a species, have grown by 90%. (We started out with 10 homo sapiens [9 females and 1 male] and ended up with 19 homo sapiens). In second group we have 9 males and only one female. What can happen is that one male will impregnate said female. After 9 months you will have one baby. Humanity, as a species, have grown only by 10%. (We started out with 10 homo sapiens [9 males and 1 female] and ended up with 11 homo sapiens). The reason for this is that females can carry only one (in most cases) baby per 9 month, while males can reproduce as often as they want. This directly proves that females are way more valuable, and males are disposable. Joining military does raise the chance of dying (as opposed to not joining the military). Government officials are representatives of people. PEOPLE. Plural. Representatives of majority (thus democracy) and as such they should place needs of many above wants of few. It is much more important for our species to keep females safe, because of that females should be protected and not allowed into military.

https://www.youtube.com...